1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

WW II December 1941

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Scenarios' started by skyfire, Aug 27, 2014.

1. bartdanr

bartdanr Chieftain

Thanks, I got it working!

It appeared as though I had Canada's leader as "Bordon" in some files and "Borden" in others. I corrected the spellingThat fixed it! :thumbsup:

Still haven't loaded in all the civopedia entries, but it's playable. I've got portraits for all the relevant leaders now, so Wilhelm

Next project: adding religion back into the game. I may want to first change "Restorationism" to something a little more in line with religions common in the WW I era. Suggestions? Maybe Evangelicalism (separate from Mainline Protestantism). Anglicanism? Something else?

2. bartdanr

bartdanr Chieftain

Pretty much done now. Had to make some judgment calls, but all religions founded, and distributions of religions across various cities. Not sure how historically accurate the placement is, though.

OK, I've been on this forum for years, but here's a noob question: how can I upload what I did?

3. bartdanr

bartdanr Chieftain

Update: started playing as the Ottomans, September 1914. Going pretty smooth. Took out Al-Rashid and the Saudis like a speedbump. Getting ready to attack Great Britain...though I suspect I'll get a pretty bloody nose in Egypt.

4. skyfire

skyfire Prince

Sorry for the late reply. Did you find out yet? I have a free account on mediafire. I upload it there and then i put in the link on the download page. I think you can alsoplace the link here.

5. bartdanr

bartdanr Chieftain

Just opened an account, per your suggestion. Here is the link: http://www.mediafire.com/folder/qjr7h403jmgv2/Civ_IV_Mods

There are two files, one with the art for the leaderheads, another for the modified files.

I'm still not too happy about the pics, because depending on how they're displayed, they look distorted. Maybe there's a way around that.

EDIT: Please feel free to make any suggestions.

The gameplay as Ottomans worked pretty good, though I ended up having Germany declare war on me...not exactly how history worked out! Well, everyone was dog-piling on them, so I joined in an got a few of their cities in Europe...though with pitifully little Ottoman culture, they aren't doing much.

Russia is the beast right now, though. Czar Nicholas is far stronger than he was historically.

One thing I noticed was that there seemed to be some unused civs in the files. Can they be restored? I was wondering about doing something like giving a city to the Arab Revolt (Mecca, probably) to give the Hashemite challenge. Also, maybe a city to the Bolsheviks, to allow for the possibility of a Communist revolution in Russia. (Oddly enough, Nicholas--as well as most other nations--are Communist now. Maybe Communism needs to be nerfed? Why do so many AI Civs go for it?)

6. skyfire

skyfire Prince

Nice work bartdanr. It looks good. I never put my own graphics in so i dont know why they look a bit off, but it doesnt bother me. As for the revolutions, well the scenario from Jon Shafer uses revolts very nice. But its mostly Python, unfortunately i only learnt a bit of the python code. Not enought to put in revolutions. But using the unused civs for that is an idea i played with in my mind, feel free to work on that.

Nicolas is getting strong because russia is just too big. Ive tried to cut them down. Im thinking of setting the difficulties for the ai's like i did in the ww2 maps.

bartdanr likes this.
  7. bartdanr

bartdanr Chieftain

Thanks.

On Nicholas, you make a good point--I guess he needs to be nerfed in order to be historically accurate. He can really dominate early on as it is.

I may play with re-activating some of the unused Civs. Not right away, though.

On the Revolution mod, does it allow for change of leaders and flags? That would be really cool, to allow for certain triggers to have those revolutions. Could make it far more accurate.

8. skyfire

skyfire Prince

9. bartdanr

bartdanr Chieftain

Skyfire, you mentioned setting the difficulty on Nicholas higher. How is this done? I see that in the scenario file (the 1914.CivBeyondSwordWBSave file) there is at the end of each team a "Handicap=HANDICAP_NOBLE" (usually, although I see Minor American Nations is Chieftain). Does that just need to be changed to a higher difficulty in order to make the civilization "weaker"? Like to nerf Russia the most possible, change it to "Handicap=HANDICAP_DIETY"? Is that all that's needed?

I'm also thinking that perhaps the Swiss and maybe some of the other small nations need to be strengthened by changing them to Chieftain. Otherwise, they just get steamrolled over very quickly. What do you think?

Also, in the same file, there's a blank under "StateReligion=". Can I just fill this in to establish a state religion, say, "StateReligion=RELIGION_CATHOLIC"? Has this been attempted before? Is there anything else that needs to be changed?

10. bartdanr

bartdanr Chieftain

One more thing to edit for the 1914 scenario...

If I wanted to change the colors of the nations, is it just an adjustment to the Scenario file? For example, Russia has Color=PLAYERCOLOR_DARK_RED, whilst Britain has Color=PLAYERCOLOR_WHITE. Wouldn't it (historically) be more accurate to switch these two? (I understand, of course, for WW II it might be more appropriate). Are there other files that need to be updated to change this?

11. bartdanr

bartdanr Chieftain

Sorry, another question, this one a gameplay question that may be really stupid: why can you sometimes not use aircraft to bomb troops or ships? Sometimes it lets you, sometimes it doesn't at all, sometimes it lets you do it just once or so, then it stops, and sometimes certain units--like fighters--can do so, but bombers can't. It seems as though you can't fully kill a unit from the air. Is that what this is based on? Is this a game option that can be adjusted?

12. skyfire

skyfire Prince

13. skyfire

skyfire Prince

14. bartdanr

bartdanr Chieftain

No problem!

So if I understand correctly, the reason that bombers sometimes can't attack ground or sea units is because they can't fully destroy a unit? Does the game then calculate the damage that a bomber would do, and sometimes it would be sufficient to destroy a unit completely, so therefore it can no longer attack the target?

If this is the case, maybe having a few "weak" bombers is actually a good thing: bombers that have long range (longer than fighters), but low punch, so that they can continue to make incremental damage to units to make them easier for ground units to finish them off. A stronger bomber might be TOO strong, and therefore couldn't attack at all. Is this correct?

Another item: an "exploit" I've discovered (maybe a lot of people already knew this): while loaded on board a freighter, an artillery unit can bombard a city. Also, non-amphibious infantry (i.e., non-marines) can do the same. While it's kind of a cool exploit, is there a way to turn that ability off, that artillery and non-marines must be landed before attacking? It seems like it would add realism and difficulty to require landing before attacking, except for specific Marine units.

15. skyfire

skyfire Prince

Update 1.8 is finally ready. Enjoy!! Please give me feedback about the new unit cost en deleting the quantity restriction.

16. bartdanr

bartdanr Chieftain

Thanks for the update and the acknowledgments! :)

I'm going to download it now and start playing it, let you know.

Interesting about the unit restrictions--I hope the expense keeps it from causing too many problems when everyone starts building huge armies. I do think that the approach--expensive but unlimited units--is probably more realistic than an artificial cap.

17. bartdanr

bartdanr Chieftain

Hi Skyfire,

When I extracted I had several errors, regarding the following files:
    WW II December 1941\Assets\Sounds\Ambient\battleloop2.wav
    WW II December 1941\Assets\Sounds\Units\BombsDescend.wav
    WW II December 1941\Assets\Sounds\Ambient\bedclouds.wav
    WW II December 1941\Assets\Sounds\CityCapture.wav
    WW II December 1941\Assets\Sounds\DeclareWar.wav
    WW II December 1941\Assets\Sounds\NewTurn.wav
    WW II December 1941\Assets\SoundsAmbient\battleloop.wav
    WW II December 1941\Assets\CvGameCoreDLL.dll

All of which said:

"File [file path and name from above] cannot be extracted. The compression method is not supported or archive file is corrupted."

The last one is the one that worries me the most.

18. bartdanr

bartdanr Chieftain

I copied these files from an old install, and it booted up fine.

On the 1914 scenario, I noticed that the Ottomans start out at war with the Entente...more historically accurate than before, and more challenging.

I also noticed you set Russia to Deity, good call...as well as the Swiss at Chieftain. Should keep things a bit more balaced.

19. skyfire

skyfire Prince

Hmmm im not having those errors. I have downloaded the file and extracted, but its seems to be an other file than i uploaded. Thats strange, so ill make a new zip file again.

Is enyone else expiercing any troubles?

20. skyfire

skyfire Prince

I have uploaded a new file. Delete the old one and place this one in the mod folder. I think i solved it. version 1.82