1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

WW II December 1941

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Scenarios' started by skyfire, Aug 27, 2014.

1. onkelm

onkelm Chieftain

Hi Skyfire,

I am stilly playing your Mod - now in the Version 1.81

Some Questins/Suggestions:
    - later in the Game when wohle Europe is mine ( :) ), I can not build enough General Purpose Machine Gun, to leave them in the inland citys as only troops.
    Any chance to increas or even drop the build limitiation ?
    - it is a little wired that I need several units to find all enemy units - like sniper, partisans and spy units.
    So is there any chance for one special security Unit - limited to lets say 3 units for homeland security, which can see all units. Like SS-Units ? I mean not Waffen-SS.
    - I am still missing the desert infantry units :)

Looking for more and of course it is still awesome this Mod.

Keep up your good work.

Best regards

OnkelM

2. skyfire

skyfire Prince

Hello onkelm,

Glad you like the mod.
    ?? Is the version playable? I have 1.82 ready, 1.81 had download issues, maybe you were lucky. The 2 file are exactly the same.
    What nation did you play? on wich map?
    of what ? Oh you mean machine guns, yeah ill correct that in the next update.
    Spies can see just about all invisble units. Only sniper can see eachother. So i see no need for such an extra unit.
    Yeah, forgot about them. Added desert promotion though. Mountain division graphic is not what it should be yet. Its a soviet marine haha. The mountain infantry i copied from 1939 mod had pink ak47's . In that mod they don't. I couldnt find out what is wrong, so because i wanted to launch the mod i added these graphics.

3. onkelm

onkelm Chieftain

Hi,

ah sounds perfekt. I will check with the spies.

is there any chance to copy from 1939 Mod the Unit Icon of the "waffen SS" Unit ?

Then I am waiting for the desert unit :)

4. onkelm

onkelm Chieftain

And what about the idea that the military police can also see partisans and/or snipers ?

5. skyfire

skyfire Prince

ill check that. I think it wont be a problem
    maybe partisans, not snipers. it is the idea that they wont be cought to easy

6. onkelm

onkelm Chieftain

o.k. sounds good

7. onkelm

onkelm Chieftain

so i am now in the year 1948, whole Europe is mine and even moskow.

Some Ideas regarding gameplay.

I am playing 1939 scenario.
    Game Speed:
    - years going by too fast - turn 115 = august 1948 = now i am about where germany was around 1942/1943 - even in research = jet engine
    So I think half the years speed would be perfect. I would prefer Epic Speed.

Strength:
    - russia is too slow ánd weak later on in the production. and the beginning it is fine but later on they must outnumber german units.
    probablly change russian handicap from Handicap=HANDICAP_DEITY to immortal or even emperor ?

- england has too less troops on england. Aircrafts was perfect a lot of fighting but troops too less.
    - america did still no attempt to attack me ?

I am on war with alomost all countries in Euroe/Asia but no asia attacks so far

Some Scenario recommendations for 1939 - starting in September 1939:
    - historically Hungary, Bulgaria, Romania, Yuguslavia joined the Axis end of 1940 or in 1941
    - Italy joined the Axis in 1940

- Russia attacked the baltic states end of November 1939 so free Baltic at the beginning

according please change the vassal status of those states and I am able to
    conquer those states :)

I could do this on my own like I did already in the scenario, but in your next version its all missing.

So if you like to change that I will be very happy :lol:

What do you think ? Standing by for your next release :goodjob:

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
  8. skyfire

skyfire Prince

Hello onkelm, thanx for your feedback

No cant do that. That would mess up war declarations because they are done by gameturns, so id have to re calculate it all for all maps.

Good idea. Good observation

Ill ceep it in mind

no that never happened in any game i played. AI is :badcomp:

I cant code that. Only if i turn off their vassal status and make them declare ware at the correct time. Something to think about.

Im not sure what you mean.

9. onkelm

onkelm Chieftain

Hi,

I guess I found so far 2 errors in the 1939 scenario.

- there ia a polish worker unit in england
    - east of Helsinki is a German anti Tank unit

and is it intended that the russians can build M4Sherman tanks ?

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
  10. onkelm

onkelm Chieftain

I changed in the 1939 scenario on 2 settings:
    Speed=GAMESPEED_EPIC
    Calendar=CALENDAR_WEEKS

now it looks pretty good playing with realistic progress.
    Gameturn 139 is November 1941 and Europe is mine I just started to attack russia.
    Reasearch is also realisitc.

What do you think ?

11. skyfire

skyfire Prince

Well like i said before there will be an issue with war declerations. Did you declare war on the soviets or it automatically happen in june/july?
    I did that so the polish civ survives when conquered.
    Strange, never seen that before.
    Only the default medium tank and if they have the bonus resource from the USA "export arms" then it is possible.

12. bartdanr

bartdanr Chieftain

Interesting!

I could see this mechanic being used for a variety of post-WW II countries that don't exist in the Scenario, but were relevant post WW II. Of course, these Civs would basically be doing nothing until everything is resolved, but I could see in post-WW II post-colonial era where certain key nations come into existence via the "gifting" of cities to these Civs. I know there aren't a whole lot of empty slots of unused civs, but maybe a few key ones--for example, Israeli, Pakistani, etc.

Perhaps even a "Democratic Germany" CIv in one of the slots, so that if Berlin falls, it could be granted some German cities to start a new Cold War scenario! Maybe even an Israeli Civ as well. Not sure how many slots are available.

13. skyfire

skyfire Prince

Yes its a very good idea. Ive played with idea a few times, unfortunatlly only 1 slot is available out of 50. That could be solved with uniting countries like the eastern european countries. But for the ww2 map i don't think thats a good idea. Maybe a post ww2 scenario one day, although i favor a more modern map i wish to add. Thx for the feedback:thumbsup:

14. bartdanr

bartdanr Chieftain

Still playing around with the latest version.

Skyfire did tell me about the iaircombatlimit parameter in CIV4UnitInfos.xml, but it looks like not all fighters are set at 100--such as Biplanes. So I'm going to play with the iaircombatlimit on those to see how that affects playability. Especially in the 1914 scenario (the only one I've been playing the last few months), air units seem very nerfed--but maybe that's ok, given the technology of the time. They make a few bombing runs and then have to stop because of that limit.

I've also noticed that some artillery seems underpowered, too, and quite limited. I'm thinking of expanding the limits and beefing them up a bit. Big slaughter fest of artillery pounding.

I'm wondering about limited units. I understand why some are limited (and see that the caps on specialty units were lifted), but perhaps another "cap" might be limited to population. I remember that in Civ II you could modify units to be like settlers, and when you built one, it would decrease the population of the building city. You could also require support in the form of a food.

Can you do this in Civ IV as well? It would be nice to limit the growth of units in an "organic" fashion, where big cities are needed for big armies, and food production is critical for an army in the field.

Also, I'm wondering if Italy should be at peace at the start of 1914, as that would be historically more accurate, as they didn't join the Entete until 1915. Also, it seems as though Turkey's at peace with Australia, New Zealand, and Canada and some other allies--I think they should be at war with them (especially in light of the ANZACs at Gallipoli).

15. skyfire

skyfire Prince

Hi bartdanr, planes didn't have much influence in ww1. So therefore i did not make them too powerfull.
    If artillery gets too strong the game is too easy. Just build enough artillery and you win easily. So i countered that with less powerfull artillery. Late game artillery gets more powerfull and for example mobile artillery beats the crap out of an enemy, nearing 100%.
    It would require more modding skills than i have.
    problem with that is my mod is based on the 1941 game. The order of the nations is different in naming and place in the files. So no declaring war in the 1914 map because it ends up in errors probably.

Im working on a 1914 map with soviets starting all up north in Russia so they can steadily move south

16. bartdanr

bartdanr Chieftain

Thanks for the feedback. I agree airpower wasn't as big a factor in WW I as WW II. Also, I hear you on making artillery OP. In Civ II & III, my main tactic was a big stack of artillery, destroy, lather, rinse, repeat. I rarely developed air power because artillery had all the pluses and none of the minuses, IMO.

Did I understand you correctly that you're putting the Soviets in the 1914 game with the possibility of them overthrowing the Imperial Russians? That is awesome!

I did try moding the file Civ4UnitInfos.xml to adjust some of the iAirCombatLimit fields, but it crashed when I tried loading the mod. Are there other places besides this file that the iAirCombatLimt fields need adjusting? Or maybe I just fatfingered something.

17. skyfire

skyfire Prince

I agree, i do/did that to. Artillery beats air power. I try to counter that with promotions so units suffer less collateral damage.
    Yeah, don/t know if it works. Its not accurate by date but i hope it contributes to the game and making Russia less dominante.
    Probably. If you only change numbers there should be nothing wrong. Ceep it between 0-100

18. onkelm

onkelm Chieftain

Hi,
    is there anywhere ann new release ?
    thanks

19. skyfire

skyfire Prince

Well not soon but im always working on it. When im playing i make changes and there is a long list waiting for things to ajust.

20. onkelm

onkelm Chieftain

HHi,

ok standing by to test too :)

skyfire likes this.