1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

YnAMP - Development thread Civ6

A compilation of maps and script with culturally linked start location or TSL

1. agonistes

agonistes wants his subs under ice!

This. Pardon my french, but a massive XU to firaxis for ruining one of the best games ever by not providing what gedemon needs to fix stuff. Absolute bs. The giant earth maps have been a staple since marla singer’s earth map. Since iii. These guys have to be incredibly ignorant.

Hey Firaxis! Some people want to play on tsl maps that have room for more than 2 civs! Some people want to have world wars! Some people want to forge empires!

And many of us have been playing much longer than you have been working on the game. We have more time invested.

Shame on you firaxis.

ashar26, Tigranes and Nigel_Tufnel2 like this.
  2. heka

heka Chieftain

I created an account just to drop by and tell that if you
    1. use the slider for the available civilization slots and press "add AI" so it fills them automatically to let's say, 30 civs
    2. manually enter a civilization
    3. remove the selected civilization by pressing the X on the right
    the game crashes at later stages of creating a session, ie. when the initial loading screen for our new game has been on for a while. Also, if you press "Add AI" before launching the game but have manually deleted one or more from the middle, the button brings them back in the middle where they were, and not to the end.

I have never used LUA, but I gathered that from the log you can see that situtation becomes as follows:

AdvancedSetup: 18 LEADER_PETER_GREAT CIVILIZATION_RUSSIA LOC_LEADER_PETER_GREAT_N. SS_COMPUTER CIVILIZATION_L. true
    AdvancedSetup: 19 LEADER_GENGHIS_KHAN CIVILIZATION_MONGOLIA LOC_LEADER_GENGHIS_KHAN_. SS_COMPUTER CIVILIZATION_L. true
    AdvancedSetup: 20 LEADER_GANDHI CIVILIZATION_INDIA LOC_LEADER_GANDHI_NAME SS_COMPUTER CIVILIZATION_L. true
    AdvancedSetup: 21 LEADER_GILGAMESH CIVILIZATION_SUMERIA LOC_LEADER_GILGAMESH_NAME SS_COMPUTER CIVILIZATION_L. true
    AdvancedSetup: 22 nil nil LOC_SLOTTYPE_OPEN SS_OPEN UNK LEVEL false
    AdvancedSetup: 23 nil nil LOC_SLOTTYPE_OPEN SS_OPEN UNK LEVEL false
    AdvancedSetup: 24 LEADER_CYRUS CIVILIZATION_PERSIA LOC_LEADER_CYRUS_NAME SS_COMPUTER CIVILIZATION_L. true
    AdvancedSetup: 25 nil nil LOC_SLOTTYPE_CLOSED SS_CLOSED UNK LEVEL false
    AdvancedSetup: 26 LEADER_ELEANOR_FRAN. CIVILIZATION_FRANCE LOC_LEADER_ELEANOR_NAME SS_COMPUTER CIVILIZATION_L. true
    AdvancedSetup: 27 LEADER_PHILIP_II CIVILIZATION_SPAIN LOC_LEADER_PHILIP_II_NAME SS_COMPUTER CIVILIZATION_L. true
    AdvancedSetup: 28 nil nil LOC_SLOTTYPE_CLOSED SS_CLOSED UNK LEVEL false
    AdvancedSetup: 29 nil nil LOC_SLOTTYPE_CLOSED SS_CLOSED UNK LEVEL false
    AdvancedSetup: 30 nil nil LOC_SLOTTYPE_CLOSED SS_CLOSED UNK LEVEL false

With the "nil"s in midst of others and not at the end. Finally, it will fail at

Runtime Error: C:\Users\Heka\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Mods\Civ6-YnAMP-master\Override\AssignStartingPlots.lua:5772: attempt to index a nil value
    stack traceback:
    C:\Users\Heka\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Mods\Civ6-YnAMP-master\Override\AssignStartingPlots.lua:5772: in function 'CulturallyLinkedCivilizations'
    C:\Users\Heka\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Mods\Civ6-YnAMP-master\Override\AssignStartingPlots.lua:5664: in function 'YnAMP_StartPositions'
    C:\Users\Heka\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Mods\Civ6-YnAMP-master\Override\AssignStartingPlots.lua:266: in function 'AssignStartingPlots.Create'
    E:\Games\Sid Meiers Civilization VI\DLC\Expansion2\Maps\Continents.lua:108: in function 'GenerateMap'
    [C]: in function '(anonymous)'
    Lua callstack:
    Runtime Error: Call to GenerateMap() had errors
    stack traceback:
    [C]: in function '(anonymous)'
    Mods: Failed to create mods browser search context!
    Test: Test.LUA loaded!

I have no other bugs, if I leave the AI-selections to random and don't touch them, everything works.

Knightfall likes this.
  3. BackseatTyrant

BackseatTyrant Queer Anarchotranshumanist

I honestly think that the reality is not that this is what the dev team on Firaxis actually wants, with regards to modding. Rather, I think this is mostly informed by guidelines coming from higher-ups at 2K, who think that expanded mod support would somehow give more leeway to cheaters and pirates. Never mind whether that would actually be the case, but do keep in mind that Firaxis is owned by for-profit AAA company, so it would be of little to no surprise to learn that their bosses run on copyright troll logic.

4. sorrownight

sorrownight Chieftain

Unlikely. They are more likely to have a messy code-base that makes the game too unstable for modding. Very few publisher actually cares about what devs choose to do in regards to modding. Also, take Borderlands games. They're also published by 2k, yet there are tons of mods for each and every BL.

From what I have seen, the problem arises whenever they push a new update. A bigger problem comes every expansion. That just means their system is not coherent, and large sections of the system must be reworked for each expansion/update.
    Also from what I have seen, the game scales really poorly with more assets. They seem to be quite content leaving it to only support a small number of players. As the game scales up, it becomes EXTREMELY unstable. These lua scripts do not intervene with the game's internal logic. That can only mean that the game's internal logic is a giant mess.
    By scaling I mean that it is not scaling linearly, but exponentially. Twice as many factions (say from 32 to 64), wouldn't be an increase of twice the performance needed from your system. But might be something in the magnitude of x2^2 = 4 times. x3 countries would be 8 times and so on.

It looks that if mods are to be supported at this point, they will need a rebuild from the ground up of the game. Only thing to hope now is that they'd do a better job comes the next Civ game.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
  5. Kaan Boztepe

Kaan Boztepe Prince

when I try to "play europe again" the number of city states is always less than 10 whatever number i select at the creation screen. Anyone else having the same problem?
    all exp and DLCs included but no other mods installed and i tried different city state selection options such as random or exclusion list with the same result.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
  6. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

how many CS have TSL for that map ?

do you check the option to allow civs/CS without TSL to be spawned in random position ?

7. Kaan Boztepe

Kaan Boztepe Prince

sometimes valetta spawns , sometimes cardiff doesnt , sometimes brussels spawn , sometimes babylon doesnt etc. before the season pass there was no issues. i could add more than 30

8. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

no idea then, try to post the logs in the thread you've opened on steam, or in a new thread in the bug reports section.

9. Kaan Boztepe

Kaan Boztepe Prince

it worked when I added all the city states i wanted to the map.xml file with coordinates etc

10. Aethelend

Aethelend Warlord

I have a question.
    I've been really enjoying the Giant map. I decided to add some modded civs (Sukitract's Burma, Sukitract's Tibet, and JFD's Portugal). I set their correct start locations and got that working fine, but the realistic city names doesn't work for them. It works for every other civ, but when one of those three civs found a city, it is just named from their standard name list.
    Is there any way I can make it so that the realistic city names apply to new civilizations I add in, as well? How might I do that?

11. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

strange that you had to set the TSL yourself, all those civs should already have TSL included in their respective mods...

custom civs should also use standard names on the Giant Earth, try to post the logs (database, modding, lua) in a new thread in the bug reports section.