YnAMP - Yet (not) Another Maps Pack

YnAMP - Development thread Civ6

Hello, I am a new Civilization 6 player. I discovered your YnAMP mod which I also translated into my original language (french). I quickly started a new game and revealed the world map to see if the game would hold up (Enormous size, 20 civilizations, + 66 mods) and crashed. My PC configuration: i7 3930K, GTX Titan X 12 GB VRAM, 16 GB RAM. Knowing a little about video games, I think the Civ6 application is restricted to 4GB of RAM, after that it cuts the game for safety. I played Civ4 a lot with the Caveman 2 Cosmos mod and I believe that Zappara had created a system allowing to cut the world map into several parts in order to display less tiles and thus relieve the demand for memory resources and be able to play on a Gigantic map.

Is there a solution to this problem? very good mod by the way. Thank you

Even if we had access to the DLL source code for civ6 (which we don't), I don't think we could do this kind of thing with its engine.

But see this thread:
https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...stability-on-larger-than-vanilla-maps.647854/

The game's was working fine on 230x116* maps in early 2017, needing more than 4GB of VRAM (I don't remember the RAM requirement, not logged that)

*that's much larger than "Enormous", which BTW was still working fine a few month ago, as it was the limit defined from multiple tests.

Crash on reveal/explore all is kind of random, here is the Giant Earth for example (also bigger than "Enormous", no DLC/expansions used here)
upload_2021-5-22_10-44-52.png

upload_2021-5-22_10-45-52.png

Thank you very much for this explanation, I think we need to make some noise so that the official CIV6 developers can optimize GS in a future update. I will try to contact them. the more we are, the more likely they are to help us. Thank you !

Hi. I'm still quite new to these forums, so I hope that I'm posting this in the right place -- and apologies if this information is already more easily accessible elsewhere, if I knew where to find it. I have two questions about the proper use of this mod:
1) Under what circumstances is it actually necessary to "Load Database"? I try to avoid it, because generally whatever game I have first loaded runs the best. My laptop is not particularly powerful, but it seems to be able to run every mod I've wanted to use (that works with the Legacy version, to which my civ-dedicated laptop is committed for the foreseeable future, because after Legacy (as of last month or so) JT Warhammer no longer works (and I need the occasional elves and chaos cultists).
Anyway, as long as my settings are the lowest (no talking, animated leaders; no anti-aliasing) everything works, but the second game I load crashes more easily. So I can "load database" but only when I have to, hopefully. When do I actually need to do it to use the mod? The loading page mentions only that some of the more advanced options require it, but I don't know what is an "advanced option"
2) Is it necessary to make the map size selection match the stated size of pregenerated maps?
3) The mod just crashed again as I'm typing this. I know it works, because I just loaded a random game with this mod turned on in the advanced screen of create game. I made sure to select the desired map "Play the World". Eventually, it selected Jadwiga for me, gave me the infamous Unhandled Exception, I ignored it, and there I was with Poles settling a normal-looking map in 4000 BC. I made sure I could really wander around, closed Civ, reopened Civ, and attempted to actually load the game I wanted. I kept the mod settings unchanged, selected Play the World, set it to Enormous to match the map, selected my various desired settings (I can specify all of them if that would help), selected Muhammad Keita of Mali, chose 15 other leaders to be sure that I had only and exactly 16 as Enormous calls for....typed the rest of this message...and bang, "Error Loading : Mods Failed to Load" What gives??
4) Later, I also tried running this with all of the same options selected but no leaders chosen -- just sixteen random slots. Same result. I'm now going to try loading the database, and will be back to my original question (which options are requiring me to load the database) if it works.

Last edited:
1/ is mostly to filter the Civs/City States selection when using TSL maps
2/ no, but some associated parameters will change depending on the selected size (number of prophets, number of Natural Wonders if set to "map generator" placement, and maybe other things)
3/ game is unstable now. Nothing can be done on the mod side for "Unhandled Exception". But for "Error Loading", it could ba a mod issue (or an incompatibility with another mods) and then only the logs can help. See the bug report section

Thanks very much for replying so soon! I followed all of that, but what perplexes me about (3) is : how can there be a mod conflict if the mod and the selected map loaded fine with the same mod settings once when all the leaders (including me) were set to random, but then once I selected leaders, it errored out? Can selecting specific leaders on the setup screen cause the errors? To be sure I'm being clear, all of the leaders' mods (and all the other mods in use) were already active before I started loading any games (the first [with random leaders] and the second [with chosen leaders]). I didn't change the mod settings as all in between the successful load and the subsequent attempt with the error -- nor had I closed civ. I didn't know it was possible for leaders to be compatible with random selection but not with deliberate selection. Is that in fact possible? Or is it rather that activating leaders that are incompatible with a map mod doesn't cause an error unless they are actually selected or actually come up randomly? If so, why doesn't selecting the option to allow alternate locations for leaders with no TSL solve the problem? Or is it possible that the mod can run out of locations? I understand that I might not be able to identify the specific leader who caused this (if it is in fact leaders) without the bug report -- but I'm hoping to understand whatever general principle is applying when the same mod configuration runs fine and then crashes in the very next game.

Once again, I appreciate your insights (and your mods!) Is it true, by the way, that your city-states aren't compatible with Play the World? I saw some note about that in the Steam workshop forum discussion for Play the World, but it was an old post. I'm not actually sure of the date of this Legacy version that I'm using, so it is possible that your city-states are incompatible with Play the World (in the legacy version of civ6)/

Thanks again and best wishes

Thank you very much for this explanation, I think we need to make some noise so that the official CIV6 developers can optimize GS in a future update. I will try to contact them. the more we are, the more likely they are to help us. Thank you !
They do not care they have your money.
This has been an issue for more than 4 years many many updates ago, not fixed will not be fixed.

Anyone have any advice on multiplayer stability with this mod? On Enormous we see a lot of crashes when using this with resource mods (truly abundant, civitas), Wetlands, and UI mods. I know a lot of stability issues are due to hardcoded stuff that can't be changed. Is it likely this mod just can't handle MP games, or is it more likely a conflict with this mod and UI/resource only mods?

I only play the greatest earth map and I love controlling multiple civs. On single player you can import the resource placement, but for some reason on multiplayer you can only use map generator or empty. There is no option for import and this is really sad to me because I love having the local resources by the corresponding civ.

I only play the greatest earth map and I love controlling multiple civs. On single player you can import the resource placement, but for some reason on multiplayer you can only use map generator or empty. There is no option for import and this is really sad to me because I love having the local resources by the corresponding civ.
I've only set "Generator" or "Empty" as options for the resources placement on that map.

The only ones with the import option are the Giant Earth, the Play Europe Again, and the Large Europe maps.

Side (but important) note, unless Firaxis pleasantly surprise me next month for the 30th anniversary of the franchise, I'm moving my modding projects to Humankind, starting with YnAMP.

Meaning I won't provide technical support anymore here.

Disabling GS, and all scenarios and MP content, using 20 civs and 12 CS, various mods, I'm at 300 turns on giant earth with no issues so far.

edit: direct x 11

edit 2:
have 3 giant earth games going, one is well past 1,000 turn mark, 50% map revealed;

no crashes other than the one that sometimes occurs when a city is settled, and that is as rare as usual

again, I disabled gathering storm, emptied lowlands/floodplots... using ultimate take your time, cs walls, capital walls, no loyalty, longer eras

Last edited:
Hey did you ever update greatest/giant/terra maps with the gathering storm wonders. Realized theres no eye of the sahara. not that its that great

The Eye of the Sahara has always been present for me.

should be in.
Hey sorry eye of Sahara was in giant and appears in most terra based on size. For some reason lake retba and the eye dont appear when I try greatest earth map. Just downloaded terra mirabilis idk if that has anything to do with it.

Ps thanks for all your work

Crash on reveal/explore all is kind of random, here is the Giant Earth for example (also bigger than "Enormous", no DLC/expansions used here)
View attachment 597375

View attachment 597376
I mostly play Greece. This looks much better then civ 5 map. Where central europe is way too tight. Constantinople was a spitting distance from Athens, same goes for Athens-> Cartha and Rome its just waaay to close. Expand Athens just a little bit and everyone is crying for expanding too much and get angry. I looks much better here. Will give it a go. Thanks

Heya!
ABout earth giant map, how does one go about to fix TSL for greece ? Its spawning in spot of Instanbul instead where Athens is
For above:

<Replace MapName="GiantEarth" Civilization="CIVILIZATION_GREECE" X="28" Y="54" />
<Replace MapName="GiantEarth" Civilization="CIVILIZATION_GREECE" X="27" Y="54" Leader="LEADER_GORGO" />
Greece starts in Athens , Gorgo starts in Sparta.

Nvm, switched to play Europe again. Its not as cramped , its enlarged and has proper TSL.
--edit2
Same Greece change (different x y ofc) for Lets play europe and added missing wonders

Big thanks for all your work man!

Attachments

• Play_Europe_again_wonders_Map.zip
    13.6 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Top Bottom