You Ain't Gonna Believe THIS One

They should change their name to the Republiburton Party. To further muddy the issue, Bush can start reffering to himself as a Republiburtocrat.

If you want to develop a plan to drill into the crust of Mars, isn't it logical to get help from a company that has a great deal of experience at drilling?

You're right Switch.
But the fact that the company in question has ties with the government to the point that a lot of citizens actually believe there is a conflict of interest makes for a good story doesn't it?

Originally posted by Switch625
Pardon my pointing out the obvious here.

If you want to develop a plan to drill into the crust of Mars, isn't it logical to get help from a company that has a great deal of experience at drilling?

Hey Switch, don't be trying to inject logical analysis into this thread! Conspiracy theories are much more entertaining! :crazyeye:

That sure added a lot to the debate.
Ive been sitting on 'Republiburton Party' for awhile now and just wanted to get it out.
Adding to the debate: I have no problem with Haliburton being involved on the Moon or Mars. Somebody is going to profit from it, might as well be them. But lets not pretend that Haluburton isnt favored by the Bush administration.

Maybe I should crawl back into my hole. :crazyeye:

No, please don't!! A little bit of logic goes a long way around here.

Originally posted by Dumb pothead

Ive been sitting on 'Republiburton Party' for awhile now and just wanted to get it out.
Adding to the debate: I have no problem with Haliburton being involved on the Moon or Mars. Somebody is going to profit from it, might as well be them. But lets not pretend that Haluburton isnt favored by the Bush administration.

No worries, at least you didn't spout yet-still-another joke about Bush wanting to go to Mars because of WMDs...:rolleyes:

if there is oil on mars, that means for sure there was once life there too. while prospecting for this oil on mars, imagine the paleontology finds they'll uncover along the way.

why not let a gov't approved private company do it? I think they'll be less likely to screw it up.

Originally posted by Laughing Gull
if there is oil on mars, that means for sure there was once life there too. while prospecting for this oil on mars, imagine the paleontology finds they'll uncover along the way.
Theres no oil on Mars! Haliburton knows how to drill holes, thats the only reason they would be there.

No worries, at least you didn't spout yet-still-another joke about Bush wanting to go to Mars because of WMDs...

I would never stoop to such cliche humor. Anyway, everyone knows the Martians hid all thier WMDs as soon as the probes from Earth started arriving. Thats obviously why we havent found any yet.

Originally posted by rmsharpe
As usual, the opponents of free enterprise are salivating at the opportunity to say something bad about a corporation that an administration official has done business with.

Since when are no-bid contracts free enterprise??

They can't, they can't own lunar or antarctic land eithier.

The US never signed that paper that would prevent them. Everyone else did but not the States. I don't know if anyone can claim part of the antartic though. But I know that since the States never signed that paper(purposed by the UN I think) they can lay claim to the moon and everything else in space.

Originally posted by Dumb pothead
No worries, at least you didn't spout yet-still-another joke about Bush wanting to go to Mars because of WMDs...

I would never stoop to such cliche humor.

But I would!! :rotfl:

C'mon, now, you guys should at least admit that it crossed your minds! [punch]

Obviously, you don't give cliche humor enough credit.

Actually, all I said was "Now if only President Bush can convince the American public that Martians are hiding weapons of mass destruction...

Originally posted by Esckey

The US never signed that paper that would prevent them. Everyone else did but not the States. I don't know if anyone can claim part of the antartic though. But I know that since the States never signed that paper(purposed by the UN I think) they can lay claim to the moon and everything else in space.

From http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Acade...tury_issues/21st_century_law/space_Law_03.htm
------------------------------------------------------------------------
"While the Outer Space Treaty is sufficiently vague so that it can be interpreted to allow exclusive economic rights over particular areas of space, the Moon Treaty of 1979 clearly prohibits private ownership of areas of the moon: ³Neither the surfaces nor subsurfaces of the moon, nor any part thereof or natural resources in place, shall become property of any State, international, intergovernmental or non-governmental organization, national organization, or non-governmental entity, or natural person.² Article 5 of the treaty contemplates an international regime to govern exploitation of the Moon¹s resources. While the treaty¹s language is strong, the treaty is of limited force because only eight countries (Australia, Austria, Chile, Mexico, the Netherlands, Pakistan, the Philippines, and Uruguay) have signed it, and none of them have a significant space program or the resources to develop such a program."
------------------------------------------------------------------------
The US did sign the Outer Space Treaty, by the way. "Gentlemen, start your drills!!"

Originally posted by Double Barrel

But I would!! :rotfl:

C'mon, now, you guys should at least admit that it crossed your minds! [punch]

Obviously, you don't give cliche humor enough credit.

Actually, all I said was "Now if only President Bush can convince the American public that Martians are hiding weapons of mass destruction...

Sorry, my bad, I was confusing this forum with Slashdot, where any thread on Bush, WMDs, or space exploration has at least a few versions of that joke.

`:hammer:
:ack:

All kidding aside...personally, the more I think about the whole idea of spending trillions of dollars that we do not have (and will not have for a long time) to study Mars for resources seems ludicrous.

I mean, is it just me thinking the emperor has no clothes? (I don't mean that in a bash Bush sort of way, only alluding to the old fairy tale as a metaphor.)

It seems beyond reasonable logic to use up so much of our finite resources chasing something that can't possibly be economically viable. In addition, the amount of problems here on Earth seem to be ever growing, and that same money spent on "space exploration" could be put to better use in educating our children, providing health care for the millions of taxpayers that simply cannot afford it, cleaning up the polluted environment and water sources that dot the landscape, as well as a long list of other concerns that would have a direct positive impact on our society if we were inclined to address them with any sense of importance.

I feel like we are being fooled with smoke screens and mirrors sometimes, like the way a magician will divert your attention in order to pull off his trick away from your vision.

While the idea behind exploring Mars sounds grand, it really seems like we are losing any focus we had on the really important issues that we struggle to cope with on a day to day basis.

eyrei, I hope you do not interpret this post as a bash the administration or the U.S. government (and I apologize to you and the forum for my lame attempts at humor in this thread).

But I strongly believe in America and I have a deep desire to see some of our major problems improve, and deluding ourselves with visions of science fiction dreams seems to me that we are losing our desire to address serious problems in our country.

Please, someone elaborate and try to convince me that this plan would be economically feasible. Our hard-earned tax dollars are paying for this, and right now, it just seems to be a big waste of our resources.

Top Bottom