Your favorite in game unit.

no they remove airfields, outposts, and radar towers. they just cover up mines and irrigation

ooh... I haven't built any of those in a long time....

I don't usually keep borders for very long, so they're usually just a waste for me

you can build airfields in friendly territory so that you can base planes there.

I have never played with barricades as I am still fairly new off Vanilla and they didn't have those. I've never done the barricades because I didn't much like fortresses so I didn't try them.

Generally, barricades are waste of time for all the reasons mentioned, since the AI will very often just bypass them. You are better off just loading up your border towns with several quality defenders and picking off the groups of attackers moving toward poorly defended areas. Nothing better than melting a 150 unit stack to nothing by outwitting and outplaying the AI:D

barricades are useful in plains/grassland where they keep tanks and cavalry from surprising you.

Cavalry is one of my favorites, along with Sipahi and Cossack. The Blitz ability of the Cossacks is almost too good when you're fishing for leaders.

I also like the Legionary. A unit that is strong as booth attacker an defender makes it easy to conquer cities and then defend them with quite few units. That's often good in the early game, when unit support for just a few units can make a big difference.

The best unit of them all is the Leader, though, booth scientific and military. :D

Cavalry is one of my favorites, along with Sipahi and Cossack. The Blitz ability of the Cossacks is almost too good when you're fishing for leaders.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry at this remark. In my Russian game, I don't think I got more than one MGL even with the Heroic Epic. It is all about the RNG's. (((sigh))) :worship:

There is only one unit, it’s the best unit in the game and it’s the best troop type in real life. It’s the infantry soldier. As soon as you discover it, it revolutionised warfare (which is also my favourite thing about Civ, its how war changes through the ages), the charge of the light brigade goes out the window, as the bolt action rifle replaces the need for professional soldiers and gentlemen. A bullet kills quicker than a sword, and travels faster than a horse, and anyone can be trained to hit it. The best unit for an age; Cavalry become totally redundant when you get infantry. (I will mention the infantry’s best friend; the artillery though) I love the sight of a huge expeditionary force of 50+ infantry with 30 artillery slogging 1 square at a time through enemy territory; there is something monumentally poetic and historic.

AND…they can do anything! They are the best defensive unit for over an age, and the best offensive unit until motorized transport! They upgrade into something immensely better, that can quickly put the use of tanks into redundancy. They are amazing!

They also look cool, and make a cool cheer when they veteran up!

As you might have guessed, the game begins for me with Infantry! 

p.s. Nuclear war is for pansies!

The use of artillery can really make infantry weaker, in a current game, which is on hold, the AI sent a stack of nearly 150 Infantry in, and with artillery and cavalry armies, I have whittled them to nothing. Soon I can then use that same artillery to redline their infantry defenders and kill them with cavalry armies. Their cities will burn...

As a die hard Carthage fan (I've always been facinated with Carthage and after the Mara Europian Seneario, I've just fell in love with them) I must say their UU, the Numendien Mercenary (which is a historical inconsistenciy, Carthage is in modern Lybia, not Numedia). But, also as a die hard Seafaring lover, a close second is the Destroyer in C3C. I was a vanillia player long after both expansions came out, and had the "accedentaly attacking a friendly sub" started world war occur in about 7 out of 10 games ><. But when i got Civ III: Complete and used the destroyer, I was instantly in love. Not only was it increadibly fast, I now could build up a force of 50 or 60 destoryers and use them for multipe functions, most commonly surrounding my entire empire for protection (I usually play arp maps), bombarding cities, destroying enemy navies, or obliteration improvements. All on top of the fact they detect subs!

i like cruisers for their speed and they are more powerful than destroyers. if you find a sub, you have the power to sink it anyway:lol:

their UU, the Numendien Mercenary (which is a historical inconsistenciy, Carthage is in modern Lybia, not Numedia).
It is historically accurate. They were not of Carthage, they were Numidian, from elsewhere in North Africa, so they had to be hired as mercenaries, otherwise they would not have been fighting for Carthage. And Carthage is located in modern Tunisia, not Libya.

I'm definately for fast attack units-knight, cavalry, tank. (Modern armor comes too late) There's nothing like a good blitz. Although, I always thought infantry had some kind of 'style', so I always include them.

:DCarracks:D
Seriously, though, I had a great game with Mounted Warriors. Fast, cheap and great animation.
If you're talking regular units, bombers.

It is historically accurate. They were not of Carthage, they were Numidian, from elsewhere in North Africa, so they had to be hired as mercenaries, otherwise they would not have been fighting for Carthage. And Carthage is located in modern Tunisia, not Libya.

BUHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA! Even though I hate the historical inacuracy of calling them Numedian (Carthage in located in the current capital of Tusina, or however you spell it) I'm a Carthage to the death fan and constantly use them in the Ancient and even into the middle ages. It's like getting a bowman and hoplite in the same unit (acutally, it's exactly like that lolz). It's with these guys that I don't fear legions, hoplites, bowmen, and to an extent knights/samuari/war elephants/riders. Although, I have to say I voted for Immortals. While cav are a bit annoying becuase they tend to pop out of fog of war at the worst possible times, attack, and then retreat, Immortals are just plain scary for two reasons.
1. They're the most powerul Ancient Times unit in the game
2. they're defense allows them to defend against most offensive units until Pikemen
This is part of the reason i refuse to play at Perisa anymore. Too overpowered. I see those coming and even with my mercs, I'm still like "aw ****. I'm screwed." this is probabblly why I stay nice with them until my war age, industrial.

edit: I love the merc animation by the way. They reach very far out, and with a downward motion. It's like "I'm stabbing you straight throught the neck, and I'm slashing you in half *****!"

yeah, i know, i was thinking to fast when i typed this. I tried to find this post and edit it, but was too lazy.

Top Bottom