[RD] Your Personal Stats

Intelligence without loyalty, or earned moral authority, is a threat. Like, an actual threat that probably needs quarantined or dealt with. Bulwarked, maybe. Intellect does not seem to track with kindness, or morality. It's a measure of ability, or capacity. It can easily be an expression of overall malignancy. Liches are smart.

first post regarding intelligence that I fully agree with. intelligence is absolutely nothing but capacity, a potential. intelligence does not go a long way without proper schooling, attention, motivation, and definitely needs both a moral foundation and loyalty to some set of ideas in order to produce something good, something of value.

Who says really smart people can't conform? And why is it assumed that they also tend to be naturally weak too?

first: no one does. but it's not a given. second, because people like stereotypes.

If intelligence wasn't sexy we'd likely still be chucking rocks from the mouths of caves at bears.

wrong and foregone conclusion, especially for someone with a 20 in intelligence :wink:

evolution just does its thing. researchers are completely split on whether or not intelligence was an attractive trait in the past. most likely is that it correlated with a lot of attractive traits.

scientists nowadays believe that intelligence correlated with a lot of non-survival traits like humor, empathy, social intelligence (which can arguably be a survival trait, but not inherently), playfulness and many others. all of these traits are, by some scientists, considered attractive traits.

not everyone wants to use his power of superhuman intelligence to follow a nerdy power fantasy. some people just want to paint or write or build houses or do a physical craft. intelligence doesn't boil down to "good at the maths!"

intelligence isn't just spatial awareness or the power of abstraction, it's pattern recognition in every area of life. social intelligence, creativity, and many other factors all play a role.

on a more serious note though, I think most people, even ITT vastly overrate their own intelligence. I've long realized that my absolutely average intelligence excels in real-life situations if you mix in a bit of subversion and metal ****ery and a nice smile.

this just in: a lot of people do not have the money, nor the social mobility to even go to college, completely irrespective of their intelligence. I feel like your view of intelligence is incredibly narrow and correlates more with "knowledge" or "performance" than with "intelligence". the people you're talking about with are academic performers. for that the prime necessity is not to be a genius, but to be a complete work animal.

There are many types of intelligence and ways it expresses itself.

One smart friend of mine took his BSc and MSc as part-time evening courses whilst working due to doing badly and not being recognised as intelligent when at school. He still speaks aloud when reading but I can't begin to understand him when hes talking about his field.

Another friend left school at 16, doesn't consider himself smart, but runs a successful building firm.

Being able to bench your body weight means you're somewhere between a beginner and average gym goer. If do don't do strength training at all, then you normally can't bench your body weight.

Well I dropped it to the next level down which I know I can do and it didn't change my str stat, so oh well :p

first: no one does. but it's not a given. second, because people like stereotypes.
Both of those stereotypes have been put forward in this thread.
wrong and foregone conclusion, especially for someone with a 20 in intelligence :wink:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0160289610001315
Want to play link wars?

on a more serious note though, I think most people, even ITT vastly overrate their own intelligence
The conundrum presented to me by this thread is that:
  • I genuinely believe I'm that smart
  • I hate to think people think I am arrogant
  • I don't want to project false humility by knocking my self-rating down just to make people not hate me
  • I still appreciate the opportunity to flex, so I actually am arrogant I guess

According to test,

Strength: 11
Dexterity: 17
Constitution: 10
Intelligence: 17
Wisdom: 17
Charisma: 15

Lawful good

Want to play link wars?

I really do, but I have 3 papers due. lately uni, work and personal projects have been taking up pretty much all my time, which is why I'm not doing megaposts like I used to.

• I genuinely believe I'm that smart
  • I hate to think people think I am arrogant
  • I don't want to project false humility by knocking my self-rating down just to make people not hate me
  • I still appreciate the opportunity to flex, so I actually am arrogant I guess

i don't really see it as a problem. we live in a society (bonus points if you get the ref) that festers superficiality, narcissism, competitiveness and arrogance. we didn't mold the world to be this way, we were thrown into it and now we have to cope with it. one way to cope is humility, another is self-deprecation, yet another is developing an inferiority complex. self-confidence and arrogance are an ambiguous pair of the same blob, and are just one of many responses. I see absolutely nothing inherently wrong with it, but then again I'm definitely both arrogant and confident, so maybe not the best judge.

I'm thinking the wisdom part of the test is flawed. It bumped me three points, to a nine, which by 3d6 standards is the low end of just normal range. I find that difficult to believe in based on my misdirected but entertaining life. Knocked me down two, to an eight, in constitution, which seemed reasonable enough and bumped me up to twelve (two points) in dexterity which again seemed reasonable.Put me a point higher (16) in charisma than I had figured but one point doesn't seem like a big deal.

I dunno if the test is telling me I was made to be a car salesman, or the test is just reading the fact that I was one.
I think you’re confusing chaotic neutral and the low will save class of Barbarian with low wisdom. :D

Ok heres a non-joke answer.

Strength - 5. I've been foiled by a bag of chips before.
Dexterity - 3. What did you expect from a Parkie?
Constitution - 7. I get sick a lot.
Intelligence - 12. I read a lot.
Wisdom - 10?
Charisma - 10?

I don't really understand the last two

Uh..Does anyone remember RPG players from Simon 2 playing Apartments & Accountants ? :)

Spoiler :
I find it pretty funny :)

Heh, everyone on this forum is smarter than average and weaker than average, right?

Nope. I *am* smarter than average in terms of INT (you don't get to finish a Master's degree in math with very little effort unless you have a pretty good INT stat) but probably a bit below average in WIS. However I also have pretty good STR (I once briefly held a regional record in powerlifting; am fairly de-trained at the moment but the base is still there, just dormant). At most average DEX and CON though, and that's being charitable.

How I rank compared to my peers depends on who my peers are, I suppose. If I pick women over 50, I'll be doing a lot better in the strength category. If I pick adults in the USA, not so much. I suppose I'll pick adults in the USA. I'll also use 3d6 as my system.

Strength - 11 I'm big and pretty strong. As a young adult, I probably topped out around 15.
Dexterity - 10 Good balance and coordination pulled down by lack of flexibility
Constitution - 13 Rarely sick, no health issues, plenty good at endurance stuff
Intelligence - 18 I'm comfy putting myself in the top slot, regardless of what scale we use.
Wisdom - 12 Lots of common sense and good decisions here, but a lot of path-of-least-resistance, too
Charisma - 6 No one would follow me ever, but I'm a fairly attractive non-entity.

Awareness - 3 I'm the most oblivious person ever.

Oh my goodness, a Dungeons and Dragons-themed thread and a good discussion on intelligence? My birthday was last week, but by heck I'll take it :D

I'm rolling on the 3 - 18 scale @Synsensa, I was something of a munchkin in 3.5ed (for the uninitiated and generally lucky in life, a munchkin is not a good thing), so I like keeping to more vanilla stat rolls these days (I don't play anymore, but I keep tabs on the scene, because I'm a massive nerd). I think it was the Player's Handbook that gave rough roles for regular humans; 8 to 9 was generally fair / decent. Adventurers were meant to be the paragons of their type, so even if someone is 10s across the board, that's still better than average. This informs my scoring.

Strength: 11, maybe 12. I'm not a huge guy, but I regularly play water polo. I'm stronger than I look, though starting to go downhill with that already (at the tender age of 31!). Having to be better with how I lift things, and so on.
Dexterity: 9. Absolutely average. Every excellent catch I do in polo you can weight against me dropping a glass in the house.
Constitution: 12, maybe 13. I'm rarely ill, and when I am I shake it off faster than any person I know. I recover well from physical injury, and I have a solid tolerance for alcohol (it used to be a lot better, but hey. I'm nominally sensible these days).
Intelligence: 16, maybe 17. I'm generally the best in any discipline I put my mind to, but I'm privileged to know people that make me (for any definition of intelligence) look like a fool. This also helps my neuroses balance out between self-deprecation and ego :p
Wisdom: 7. This is kinda a trainable thing? I don't know. I'm still prone to ready-fire-aim kind of thinking, and a lot of things become obvious to me in hindsight.
Charisma: again 12, maybe 13? I'm a Nerd and prone to saying the wrong thing and reading situations badly (better than I was, but still), but am definitely likeable, crossed multiple cliched friend groups at university, and have no problems in general in social situations. Bit awkward at putting myself on the spot in a crowd, though.

Perception: 14. I have fantastic vision, and I try to take care of it. Will still definitely end up with glasses, under no illustions there. My baseline gut feeling on things, and reading of situations, only gets better with age, too.
Mental strength / stability: bit of a cop out, but ranges from 3 to 18. It's a difficult one to unpack for me, and I'd need to go into way more depth than I'm comfortable expressing publicly. The tl;dr is that I have problems, but I think I deal with them well enough, and also support my wife through her own (and anybody else I'm close with).

Bonus alignment: Chaotic / Neutral Good (depending on my mood. When I was quite a bit younger - Lawful Good, all of the time).

------------------------------------

The intelligence discussion is fascinating. I come down more on @yung.carl.jung's side in terms of the arguments, but I can appreciate where @hobbsyoyo is coming from. So much of our understanding of intelligence has been retrofitted to uphold a class-based society (with some ugly holdovers from racism and sexism and outright eugenics thrown in the mix). Actual professional discussion on the concept is separated so badly from what schools and the education system (specifically in the UK, but I see it elsewhere) define "intelligent" as. Intelligence is basically played out as "doing well". There is some aspects of the concept of somebody's potential, but it becomes a definition for somebody's limits, and thus the attention and care given by the state (body, i.e. school) to the individual. This limits people!

I want to contrast my wife and myself, not going into too much detail because I try not to share much about people who aren't me online. She comes from a schooling background where they gave everyone an intelligence test (it's pretty standard over here) and basically predict your grades as a consequence. Don't get me started on grades and schooling in general, this part of my post is shaping up too long as it is :D

Anyhow. She was predicted terrible grades, her teachers wrote her off and in some cases basically told her she'd amount to nothing (fair point to this anecdote - this is a singular experience and doesn't necesssarily represent the feelings on these tests across the nation. But, in my experience, it's a common thing). She was put in classes that help people with specific conditions to do extra learning. Suffice it to say, this was moderately embarrassing to the point of being traumatic, especially compounded by her parents (another derail, and not for a public forum). It underpinned her drive to achieve academically for the next decade or so (possible more). She did nowhere near as badly as the test predicted, and the teachers were so impressed at her beating her predictions (even though, arguably, they weren't accurate) she got an award. The trauma remained. The fear of failing, or being seen like that, remained.

She's an incredible woman, and she's been through so much. My opinions on intelligence were (rightfully or wrongfully) relatively cemented by the time she was able to open up about this to me, it wasn't foundational to me. My own experience was, though. Predictably.

Now, me. I've aced every single intelligence / IQ test that's been put in front me through the years. My parents had high expectations of me (another derail, haha) ever since I had the luck to be picked out of my incredibly normal / lower-middle-class primary school to sit an entrance exam for one of the best private grammar schools in the country. I passed the test, and qualified for a bursary (to pay for the tuition, because my parents were poor in those days). My problem was my test performance never really compared. I struggled for focus on anything, and generally didn't get on well with any education all the way up until the end of university. That's on me. I'm past it nowadays, barring the usual struggles people have working on boring things they don't enjoy. But school was a negative experience because there was no attempt to provide any kind of support beyond just . . . giving me more work. One of the best schools in the country (I'm not bigging it up, it was usually ranked quite highly on whatever ranking tables count in the UK) and the only reaction to the divide in my theoretical and actual scores was "make up the grade". In classes I was engaged and communicative, I could problem-solve well, and was absolutely a teacher's pet (sorry). But there was nothing custom in their approach to handling me, and well that went as well as you'd think. I rebelled in the most nerdy, boring ways possible. I kept trying to find ways around the IT admin staff, breaking and taking control of machines, practising my 2D art (I was pretty good!) in other lessons. Basically finding the stuff that made me tick (I'm an incredibly creative person) and doing more of it.

I was aware this was a problem by about sixth form (16 to 17). Lifting myself out of that was far more difficult, compounded by the (to be fair, fair) expectation that I was just going to screw up. It took a lot of work through university, that was in turn affected by some bad luck (horrendous wisdom teething in my second year, causing me to fail it) and also bad habits (I found out I could drink, and drink well. Grades generally don't survive this, nomatter how well you can process the alcohol :p). Final year I genuinely enjoyed, it was a combination of subjects that both pushed my understanding of the field (Computer Science) but also subjects that I found interest in. My wife (then girlfriend) supported me through all of this, though not without our arguments, haha. I can't blame her.

Fast-forward most of a decade, to me now. I recognise my "intelligence", for whatever that counts for, and my ability to learn in general. But it's definitely not just as simple as "I'm clever, ergo I'm clever at all things" (I'm looking at you, modern / "New" atheism). A lot of what people consider "intelligence" is just specific effort in a particular subject for a length of time. It's hard work. I dislike that there's so much emphasis in general terms (as supposed to in, say, research, where minds with specific abilities and tendencies come into play) in intelligence being the decided for a person. So much of it is (informed) opinion, there's no right or wrong because somebody happens to rank higher in debate techniques, or made a particularly well-timed gotcha. But that's so much of supposed educated-debate, and that really grinds my gears, all the way back to my early school experiences.

According to that test (missed that), rearranged to make sense to me:

STR: 13
DEX: 8
CON: 11
INT: 17
WIS: 14 (lol)
CHR: 15

Eh. I maintain there are Wisdom-related scenarios not on that test that I'd fail every time :D Otherwise, not that badly out of sync with what I think of myself.

Fast-forward most of a decade, to me now. I recognise my "intelligence", for whatever that counts for, and my ability to learn in general. But it's definitely not just as simple as "I'm clever, ergo I'm clever at all things" (I'm looking at you, modern / "New" atheism). A lot of what people consider "intelligence" is just specific effort in a particular subject for a length of time. It's hard work. I dislike that there's so much emphasis in general terms (as supposed to in, say, research, where minds with specific abilities and tendencies come into play) in intelligence being the decided for a person. So much of it is (informed) opinion, there's no right or wrong because somebody happens to rank higher in debate techniques, or made a particularly well-timed gotcha. But that's so much of supposed educated-debate, and that really grinds my gears, all the way back to my early school experiences.

well put. what most people consider intelligent really is an ugly caricature. just imagine that there are people out there who genuinely think that someone like Ben Shapiro or Kermit or god forbid Sargon of Akkad (the YouTuber, not the actual guy..) or the Amazing Atheist are the 21st century Einsteins. so much of it comes down to talking confidently, talking rapidly, sounding vaguely educated and authoritarian. this goes for enlightened new atheist lefties as much as for red-pilled internet "activists".

Top Bottom