[1.0.10.15] Late game (turn 300+) instability on larger than vanilla maps

Hoping you might look at notifcations, I know I dont.

There is a mod that can be used in tandom with this one and it seems stable. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1826889771
called: "Sammaye's YnAMP Earth128x80 (Modified)"

Its not as good as the bigger one in this series, but its still nice.
Thank you for your response. I'll try it out. If you don't mind, can you guide me how to use this mod? Is YnAMP pre-requisite for the Sammaye mod?

Thank you for your response. I'll try it out. If you don't mind, can you guide me how to use this mod? Is YnAMP pre-requisite for the Sammaye mod?

If you have NFP this map is not good, don't have any of features introduced in dlc's. 128x80 is border of stability for current build of civ6, above there is so many problems that is not worth it. Also there is no good map for NFP in 128x80 size (all are outdated) : <

My final report after spending a week testing this:
PC: 17 8700K @ 3.70 GHz .. 16 GB RAM and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

Map: Giant Earth
Civs: 17 including mine and 2 city states
Graphics: Everything set to lowest
Speed: Standard
Game version: Latest with all DLCs

RS: Rise anf Fall - No issues, almost at the end of science victory, the average turn time is less than 15 seconds which is good.
RS: Gathering Storm - No issues in the beginning, random crashes post sea level rising and permanent crash eventually before achieving science victory
RS: Apocalype mode - Unplayable. Even with strategic view, the average turn time is more than 2 minutes after discovering about 8 civs. Most of the time is occupied by the world events like forest fires etc. I lost patience by turn 70. No crash as I couldn't reach late game due to slow speed.

Verdict, I'm done. I will buy Civ 7 once I get confirmation from the forum that the giant earth map works fine with the new game. (Whatever is equivalent to Giant earth for Civ 7)

Cheers!

Yes, this is very disappointing on the part of the devs and support. Lots of reports made, lots of logs provided by others. This issue occurs on vanilla random maps as well. how the devs just ignore this is incredible, it would be minimal effort to review the logs and give a real answer. There is clearly a fundamental flaw somewhere.

After going mental after crashes every other turn, after just 1/3 of the rounds passed, I dived into almighty google.
Found a lot of issues with this game and "unhandled exception code exception_access_violation".
Then some smart ones over at reddit suggested it might be some software-overlay causing civ6 to crash.
Some pointed to Logitech G Hub and others at MSI Afterburner.
The theories goes along the combinations of sensitive Win10, and developers trying to "stay within the guidelines" from MS. That goes for Nvidia, MSI, Logitech and Firaxis.
And with Firaxis history of "ignoring" Nvidia users (despite partner logo), and civ6_DX12, this single game handles poorly Nvida GPU, Afterburner overlay, and Logitech RGB lighting connected to the game it self. (was kind of sweet that my keyboard lighting changed after the civ I played)

So for me I got a stable game again (even the one that crashed every other turn) after disable G Hub and Afterburner before starting Civ6_DX11. Played 400 turnes (several hours) without issues.
Now I'll test with DX12 version (same game) crank up again graphics and try to use my 1080Ti...

Fwiw, I use Afterburner w/ Riva Tuner Stats on DX12 and haven't ever experienced any errors/crashes connected to them.
Isn't this fun? :p
What other hardware/software do we NOT share? Since Afterburner works for you with the game, and for me, disable it was really the key? How is your setup in Afterburner? When i think about it, I did run this FPS monitor graph...
This for sure needs more investigating. :)

After going mental after crashes every other turn, after just 1/3 of the rounds passed, I dived into almighty google.
Found a lot of issues with this game and "unhandled exception code exception_access_violation".
Then some smart ones over at reddit suggested it might be some software-overlay causing civ6 to crash.
Some pointed to Logitech G Hub and others at MSI Afterburner.
The theories goes along the combinations of sensitive Win10, and developers trying to "stay within the guidelines" from MS. That goes for Nvidia, MSI, Logitech and Firaxis.
And with Firaxis history of "ignoring" Nvidia users (despite partner logo), and civ6_DX12, this single game handles poorly Nvida GPU, Afterburner overlay, and Logitech RGB lighting connected to the game it self. (was kind of sweet that my keyboard lighting changed after the civ I played)

So for me I got a stable game again (even the one that crashed every other turn) after disable G Hub and Afterburner before starting Civ6_DX11. Played 400 turnes (several hours) without issues.
Now I'll test with DX12 version (same game) crank up again graphics and try to use my 1080Ti...
English please? :)

That's actually good news but if you don't mind, can you please guide me how to do that? following is my computer configuration. I'm not that tech savvy, could you please help? :)

MSI Motherboard: 17 8700K @ 3.70 GHz .. 16 GB RAM and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

English please? :)

That's actually good news but if you don't mind, can you please guide me how to do that? following is my computer configuration. I'm not that tech savvy, could you please help? :)

MSI Motherboard: 17 8700K @ 3.70 GHz .. 16 GB RAM and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
Just make sure that you close and quit (by right-click on the icons in lower right corner of the taskbar) both G Hub and Afterburner.

Idk, if this will help, but here's the main Afterburner UI for my EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 XC Ultra GAMING.

Spoiler :
I was more thinking of the C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI Afterburner\Profiles\MSIAfterburner.cfg. And you are running Afterburning Beta (4?) 4.6.2, and I have version 4.6.1
I'll update my Afterburner, and test again.
Edit: Nope to the Beta 4 version of 4.6.2. My Afterburner didn't find any update to the program, unless I opted in for Beta testing. But on msi.com, there is a last release 4.6.2... Love it when they know what they doing, and that goes for me as well :D

Last edited:
I'm not that tech savvy
How do you have an o/c capable, high-end chip and the flagship 10 series GPU and not be tech savvy. j/k ;)
I was more thinking of the C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI Afterburner\Profiles\MSIAfterburner.cfg. And you are running Afterburning Beta (4?) 4.6.2, and I have version 4.6.1
Edit: Nope to the Beta 4 version of 4.6.2. My Afterburner didn't find any update to the program, unless I opted in for Beta testing. But on msi.com, there is a last release 4.6.2... Love it when they know what they doing, and that goes for me as well :D
Config file won't tell you much as almost all my settings are default ones. The only changes I've made are under the monitoring graphs, enabling OSD for RivaTuner, and changing the OSD toggle keys. Not sure where you're getting the program from (the only places I'd trust would be MSI or guru3d), but 4.6.2 is the current final release version and has been out for 9~10 months now. It replaced the Beta 4 version. The current Beta version is 4.6.3 Beta 1 Build 15777 that came out a couple months ago.

Just make sure that you close and quit (by right-click on the icons in lower right corner of the taskbar) both G Hub and Afterburner.

In order to disable it, I firstly downloaded the MSI afterburner beta version 4.6.3

I will check now if it causes any difference and fixes the crash :)
Also, currently I don't have G HUB so not sure if I should download that too?

A quick update before I go to a corner, and cry...
After updating Afterburner to 4.6.2, my game was stable for 6 hours of gameplay. Also DX12 (had to enable ingame Vsync) was stable. No G Hub, but Afterburner active.
Then closed the game yesterday, and went to bed, then work this morning, Pc still running. Came back, and right from the start, a few turns in, the game crashes.

So my last 4 hours has been a nightmare. Crashes in dx11 and dx12, with or without Afterburner and G Hub active. Can only play in Strategic View. The game lags a lot, just discovered coal.
No Win10 update the last couple of days, no update (to my knowledge) to any app on my rig. No updates to any of the 124 mods I'm running. Reboot of computer didn't help. No help in the log files...
My next step now is to clear the Civ6 installation, included My Game folder.

Se requiere solucion

Moderator Action: This is an English language site. Our rules require an English translation with every foreign language post. Browd

Last edited by a moderator:
I find it absolutely unbelievable that this is STILL an issue. GS has completely neutered Civ 6 and killed the game for myself and many, many others who love playing on large maps.

I see previously in the thread that someone from Firaxis comments:

We do! Logs and dumps appreciated!

No, you don't. You don't do anything with said logs and dumps or else this would've been fixed a loooong time ago.

Firaxis, you've had plenty of time to fix this issue. This isn't some quality-of-life thing we are talking here. We are talking about something that is actively ruining the game, destroying hours of time invested into it and restricting your players and how they choose to play.

Simply put: Fix this nonsense or stop developing games. I'm done supporting you.

I've been following this issue since I ran into it myself back in 2018 and I have to say I'm disappointed it has yet to addressed and has only gotten worse. Got an itch to play the game for the first time in a while but this bug is the single reason I won't. And I know this is a major problem to more people than the comment section is leading on. I only made an account to make this comment with the hope that increased activity and demand one day leads to a fix.

I've just upgraded my PC and so I've done a new test to check if something changed with the last few patches and new hardware...

It does load the old test savegame faster, but it's still crashing on sea raising with the Giant Earth (with the now usual "Unhandled Exception")
Spoiler :

Unhandled Exception
Code: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION
Error reading address 0x1ff21c16
Call Stack
-----------------------------------------------------
??? ! ??? ???, line 0
??? ! ??? ???, line 0
??? ! ??? ???, line 0
??? ! ??? ???, line 0
??? ! ??? ???, line 0
??? ! ??? ???, line 0
??? ! ??? ???, line 0
??? ! ??? ???, line 0
??? ! ??? ???, line 0
??? ! ??? ???, line 0
??? ! ??? ???, line 0
??? ! ??? ???, line 0
??? ! ??? ???, line 0
??? ! ??? ???, line 0
??? ! ??? ???, line 0

dmp attached

Attachments

• CivilizationVI_DX12.exe.dmp.7z
    183.4 KB · Views: 101
and still crashing on load for the Largest Earth Map (but without "Unhandled Exception" windows here)

dmp, dxdiag and logs attached

Attachments

• Logs.7z
    888.9 KB · Views: 111
  • CivilizationVI_DX12.exe.dmp.7z
    198.3 KB · Views: 102
  • DxDiag.7z
    14.7 KB · Views: 110
Top Bottom