2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil Thread

The referee didn't avoid the impression that he was biased for Brazil.

Thoughts on the penalty? He clearly fell lightly, but I kinda feel that if you don't want to give someone the opportunity to do that, perhaps you shouldn't grab and pull them when you're in the box.

He took a dive, plain and simple. I replayed it several times. I agree though that the defender shouldn't have touched him with his hands, but I didn't see any pulling.

Thoughts on the penalty? He clearly fell lightly, but I kinda feel that if you don't want to give someone the opportunity to do that, perhaps you shouldn't grab and pull them when you're in the box.
While it was a bad call at the time, Croatia still managed to lose the game on their own merits (eg inability to score their own goals). If you consider that call (and maybe one other) as an outlier, then I found the game to be well-officiated.

He took a dive, plain and simple. I replayed it several times. I agree though that the defender shouldn't have touched him with his hands, but I didn't see any pulling.

I thought I saw some grip & pull on the replay, but I guess slow motion can be deceptive in that way. Live action probably even more so. I thought you were allowed to go to ground if there's contact, and hamming it up is par for the course. It's not attractive, but I wouldn't have called it a 'dive'.

Edit: found a gif of it on reddit - looks worse than I remembered.

While it was a bad call at the time, Croatia still managed to lose the game on their own merits (eg inability to score their own goals).

And some pretty ordinary goalkeeping.

Croatia were robbed tonight.
Penalty should never have stood and their goal was disallowed on the basis of nothing.

Credit to Neymar. He has the hopes of everybody in his country and he still seems to thrive.

Fred clearly seeks the penalty blatantly diving, and the ref bought it. Neymar should have been sent off after elbowing Luka Modric, moments before scoring the equalizer...I didn't see a foul over Julio Cesar when he and Olic went for the ball...
Having said that, Brazil controlled the ball and scored the goals needed to win. They didn't look so good and left some doubts.

Penalty should never have stood and their goal was disallowed on the basis of nothing.

Credit to Neymar. He has the hopes of everybody in his country and he still seems to thrive.
The contention on the disallowed goal was that the goalkeeper was fouled, although I was quite confused as to the reason until a second replay.

Fred clearly seeks the penalty blatantly diving, and the ref bought it. Neymar should have been sent off after elbowing Luka Modric, moments before scoring the equalizer...I didn't see a foul over Julio Cesar when he and Olic went for the ball...
Having said that, Brazil controlled the ball and scored the goals needed to win. They didn't look so good and left some doubts.

You're completely right about Fred. At least for me, when I see this kind of unfair play, I get ashamed. And it's a typical behavior from our players.

Enviado de meu ST25a usando o Tapatalk 2

The contention on the disallowed goal was that the goalkeeper was fouled, although I was quite confused as to the reason until a second replay.

Personally, after a couple of replays I failed to see a foul. I saw two commited players go up for a ball and one of them who won it. It's just unusual that the goalkeeper didnt win it this time. He should know you can use your arms :p

The penalty should never have been given in a million years and Croatia's disallowed goal was equally as large a bad decision. Croatia fought hard and deserved a point I say, a point they very well may have achieved should things have worked differently.

Robbed seems a bit harsh though the outcome might've been different without the Fred's unfortunately successfull dive - until that point the game was generally entertaining with much less things to complain about than (I) expected.

One still can't tackle a goalie though they are pretty much overly protected by refs as it is. In this particular case the problem is the striker running and jumping forward & up while the goalie mainly just jumps upwards - looks worse than it actually is but a foul nevertheless.

Hum, Fred indeed dived and the penalty was robbed. BUT Julio Cesar was tackled and most referees would have stopped the play there. I woild have called a foul as well. Even if you disagree with the decision, you need to remember the Brazilian players stopped playing after he blew the whistle, so there's no telling if it would end in a goal had he not stopped the play. Calling it a disalowed goal is therefore unfair. It was a disallowed attack.

All in all a poor start for Brazil, but still enough to beat Croatia, who didn't score a single goal.

Neymar, Oscar and David Luiz had a very good game.
Marcelo, Daniel Alves, Hulk, Fred and Julio Cesar sucked. JC should no longer be the number one goalie, his reflexes are deteriorating and it's no wonder he plays in freakin' Canada. We have two better goalies in the squad, I hope Felipão wakes up before it's too late. He almost cost the victory today.

Very poor defending by Brazil, which could give them a lot more trouble by a team that will know how to exploit it. But, I guess, FIFA has different plans.

There were several decisions going for the host, clearly. The penalty, the potential 2-2, the potential red card for Neymar, who surely knew he is going to elbow the Croatian player.

Reading some forums, Brazil has lost a lot of goodwill tonight. I just hope that we don't see a repeat of the Korea 2002 travesty.

Better refereeing and Croatian goalkeeping and this match ends in a different result. Wasn't impressed by Brazil...but it's only the first game.

Very poor defending by Brazil, which could give them a lot more trouble by a team that will know how to exploit it. But, I guess, FIFA has different plans.

There were several decisions going for the host, clearly. The penalty, the potential 2-2, the potential red card for Neymar, who surely knew he is going to elbow the Croatian player.

Reading some forums, Brazil has lost a lot of goodwill tonight. I just hope that we don't see a repeat of the Korea 2002 travesty.

I really don't think Neymar intentionally elbowed the Croatian, and neither did anyone I was watching with nor the ESPN commentators, all gringos.

And what 2002 travesty? The fact that Rivaldo dived does not change the fact Brazil won convincingly, just look at the the final. There were far, far bigger bad referee calls in WCs, with much bigger impacts, including in finals, including for example the only time that one country that complaints so much about Rivaldo won the WC.

Luiz, I wasn't referring to Brazil, rather I was referring to the way Fifa's referees made sure Korea got into the semi finals.

While it was a bad call at the time, Croatia still managed to lose the game on their own merits (eg inability to score their own goals). If you consider that call (and maybe one other) as an outlier, then I found the game to be well-officiated.

You must be joking. The referee was completely out of his depth. Every 50-50 call went to Brazil. The penalty was clearly a gift. Sure there was some minimal contact, but the dive was plain to see for everyone.

And the most blatant biased decision: Neymar should've been sent of in the first half for elbowing/hitting Modric. Neymar clearly first looked where his opponent was, and then swung out his arm (admittedly very weakly)... Elbowing is an automatic red card, no discussion possible. So giving a yellow card (which means Neymar can't be punished for it anymore (not that those weak babies at FIFA would do that but still)) shows that the referee definitely saw it, but was afraid to make the big call at the big stage.

I'm not saying that the referee deliberately disadvantaged Croatia in favour of the host nation, but he was clearly overwhelmed by the WC opening match...

It is really a shame that we're one game into the WC, and that already the refereeing is the one thing that draws the most discussion... :(

I'll kinda agree with others on the penalty, but I think that's a clearly incorrect interpretation of Neymar's yellow card. Presumably elbowing involves the elbow in some way. If that had been a red card, it would've been just as much a controversy as the penalty.

I also thought that before the penalty the refereeing was quite good, just afterwards there were some other questionable calls. He looked to have decent control and didn't appear out of his depth at all. I'm not sure how a couple of mistakes speaks to the entirety of a referee's experience, rather than his performance on the night.

Top Bottom