2016 National Political Conventions

So I'm starting to think this whole Khan thing may be Trump's "have you no decency sir?" moment...is there any validity to this belief whatsoever or is it pure wishful thinking?

I don't think it's wishful thinking necessarily, the Judge Curiel thing had a pretty noticeable impact on the race. The difference there was that it involved a Judge, who obviously didn't get involved and let it die, to be forgotten once the email story blew up. Khizr Khan is, thankfully, free to go on TV and continue egging Trump on; Trump, being who he is, seems incapable of not taking the bait. Now Khan waving a copy of the constitution at Trump is being run on a loop on the cable news networks.

I doubt this will sink the Trump campaign once and for all, but I think it is a strong indicator that this campaign is doomed to failure. Trump has somehow managed to get the most effective attack launched at him in the entire 4 days of the DNC to be played over and over again, for who knows how many millions of people who otherwise might not have seen it. And yet he tweeted about it again this morning, ensuring that instead of dying over the weekend, the story now makes it into a fresh weekday news cycle.

Quite simply, if a presidential candidate insulting the religion of a gold star mom and questioning the integrity of a dad whose son died heroically serving this country is not something that is going to turn the electorate off to said candidate, than I don't recognize the country I'm living in. And this as the kickoff to the Trump campaign post-conventions.

He's using it as a distraction from his Sarah Palin moment about Crimea on 'the shows.'

Meanwhile, notice that the Clinton campaign put her on for an interview on Faux News. They are going straight for the jugular. Base secure, Independents secure, start stealing Republicans.

Now the GOP's previous nominees are not just abstaining from backing him, but actually criticising him. My, my. Finally, the GOP's tactic (strategy?) of posing as not intellectual is biting them in the buttocks.
McCain Faults Trump for Feud With Family of Muslim Soldier

By JENNIFER STEINHAUER 49 minutes ago

Senator John McCain sharply criticized Donald J. Trump’s comments about the parents of a fallen Army captain, who have emerged as critics of Mr. Trump.
Mr. McCain said that Mr. Trump’s nomination was not “unfettered license to defame those who are the best among us.”​

It sounds like more of a conditional or partial endorsement, mind you.

Same thing happened following his remarks about District Judge Curiel:

"Remarks like that are disgusting and run counter to the ideals upon which this nation was founded."

"So does that mean you retract your endorsement of Mr. Trump?"

"Not at all. I still fully endorse Donald Trump for president."

And to be fair, these are true Catch-22 situations for the Republican leadership. Defend his statements/maintain endorsement and get crucified by the media and give free ammunition to their electoral opponents. Condemn his statements and make the Republican party look disunified and get crucified by Republicans for not toeing the party line.

Obama...I'm thinking he is either working closely with Bill Clinton, or he is a master politician in his own right.

Today he called for all these Republicans in the congress who are making a weekly, or even more frequent, rebuke of what Donald Trump has to say to take the obvious step and publicly withdraw their endorsements. Immediately a number of political strategists pointed out that any who may have been considering that are now LESS likely to do so.

I'm thinking that Obama recognizes that letting them distance themselves from Trump would be letting them off the hook that they are hanging on, and that hook is rapidly being drawn into the boat bound for the cannery. No point letting all these fish get away.

Oh, but the Repubs are peeling away. Mr. Richard Hanna, a congressman for New York, has endorsed Hillary Clinton.

Edit: link added.

Yeah, but Richard Hanna is more of an exception rather than a predictor of what is to come.

Maybe. Trump has started singling out incumbent Republicans that he is not endorsing. That may lead to a more general rise against him.

Nice play by the Dems. By calling for the Republicans to rescind their support for the Drumpf, if they do so they must endorse HRC so they can't just say ‘no man’ as they did with Obama, unless they want to lose even more credibility.

Strangely enough, Ted Cruz at least had a tenable position. He said he wouldn't endorse Drumpf, he has radically different political ideas, and has been personally insulted by him (liar, ugly wife, etc. etc. -dem's fightin' words!) so it's justifiable.

Yeah, but Richard Hanna is more of an exception rather than a predictor of what is to come.
Perhaps. Pennsylvania Representative Charlie Dent just said he won't be voting for either major-party candidate.

Maybe Dent (ach, I've been reminded of Batman again!) will be at the Libertarian event tomorrow?

Perhaps. Pennsylvania Representative Charlie Dent just said he won't be voting for either major-party candidate.

I believe in Charlie Dent?

*edit* Damn, Takh beat me to it.

The Donald's called HRC the Devil… I suppose all the atheistic libertarians will also move away at this point.

Top Bottom