2K developer weekend on Steam - still no sale on DLCs

So how are exchange rates for other countries like GB, Canada, Australia, NZ, ... affecting the price for Civ 6 when expressed in $?

I don't think exchange rates are the only factor, the price point for Steam games are set specific to each country, The more civilised <no pun intended> the country, the higher the price generally speaking... So those countries like GB, Canada, Australia, NZ are often paying more than a lot of other countries <Irrelevant of exchange rates>... I think Civ 6 probably equates the same for people in GB compared to US ? R&F expansion is £24.99 currently on steam, how much is it for you guys in US ?

16.43% more expensive if you're British and 23.91% for members of the euro zone and it's consistent on both games ! ... It's not a level playing field !... When people argue for it being fairly priced or not you need to consider 2 things... Your own personal wealth and the country you live in...

civ5 introduced additional to the 1st expansion & the 2nd expansion also DLC packages.
But the DLCs were not bundled & discounted.
That is actually not true. I bought several of the Civ5 DLCs on discount in Steam store, and heavily so. Those were the map packs, so I don't know if those were the only ones that went on discount, but I know for certain that those did. I think I bought them at -75 %.

I remember the Civ 5 DLCs all being discounted at 75% after a year or so ... some of the leaders were then included in one of the expansions.

Only one was I think and that was just for the Europe Scenario to make sense.

I am also one of those who counted heavily on discounted DLCs with my reasoning being mainly scepticism for the game. I nevertheless bought the Standard after a while and now R&F. I caved in and got Australia because I think new civs are interesting. But I would never buy the Viking DLC at full price.

I am also ok with their decision. It‘s their game after all and they can do what they want. I can wait.

Personally I feel the CivVI DLC cost is a lot fairer than the Paradox DLC's which are $20/$10 compared to $5.99.

Paradox more or less lost me as customer. It is too much work to find out which DLCs you need and when to buy their games in which edition. Sometimes I buy a Collection or a Complete Edition of a Paradox Game when at sale.

Personally I feel the CivVI DLC cost is a lot fairer than the Paradox DLC's which are $20/$10 compared to $5.99.

The basic pricing of DLCs is one thing.
The main complaint in this thread is that the Deluxe Edition containing all DLCs is discounted at 60% while the DLCs itself are not discounted. Basic pricing for DLCs is only for Standard Edition owners since DE owners already own all DLCs. Single prices for DLCs sum up to 38 $, while the (discounted) share of a DE for DLCs is a mere 8 $.

Last edited:
I would want the DLCs at a later date and believed that the DLC would be bundled and discounted at a later date.
civ5 introduced additional to the 1st expansion & the 2nd expansion also DLC packages.
But the DLCs were not bundled & discounted.
That is actually not true. I bought several of the Civ5 DLCs on discount in Steam store, and heavily so. Those were the map packs, so I don't know if those were the only ones that went on discount, but I know for certain that those did. I think I bought them at -75 %.
I have not written: But the DLCs were not discounted. Of course, if each of the DLCs is discounted standalone and for itself, you can buy several of them in one order. (and think of them as a 'bundle')

I thought, it would be clear enough in the context, sorry for being ambiguous. What I meant was:
But the DLCs were not discounted as part of a DLC-bundle (mixed lot, Konvolut) in the sense of a given quantity discount for buying more than one or many.

I think, most want a discounted "DLC-bundle" as a complement to the base game, so their already done investment is honored ...

[Because of this practice I have passed on several times base games to friends as gifts and played & collected the gold edition (e.g. 'Pharaoh' after the 'Cleopatra' expansion). ;) What I wanted to say: it is not surprisingly new in the game business, that sometimes the financial best solution IS to buy the NEW (which is unnecessarily including the OLD) and "throw away" the OLD.]

I have not written: But the DLCs were not discounted. Of course, if each of the DLCs is discounted standalone and for itself, you can buy several of them in one order. (and think of them as a 'bundle')

I thought, it would be clear enough in the context, sorry for being ambiguous. What I meant was:
But the DLCs were not discounted as part of a DLC-bundle (mixed lot, Konvolut) in the sense of a given quantity discount for buying more than one or many.
You are wrong with that statement, since the cradle of civilization bundle combines 4 different dlc and gives discount:
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/6820/
Now you could argue that you meant it for dlc-bundles with civs and not map-packs. Well then there was a gold edition upgrade for $20 to upgrade civ V vanilla to gold edition( include all dlcs till then + Gods and kings expansion):
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/civ-5-to-gold-edition-upgrade-steam.491015/
http://steamcommunity.com/app/8930/discussions/0/864961175405294133/?l=dutch
But after some point that upgrade was removed from steam.

Well then there was a gold edition upgrade for $20 to upgrade civ V vanilla to gold edition( include all dlcs till then + Gods and kings expansion): ...

You get Civ 5 Complete for 10 $ or less. An upgrade for 20 $ is then not a good deal.
https://www.mmoga.de/Steam-Games/Civilization-V-5-Complete-Edition.html

Steam allowed you to "complete" your Civ 5 Collection, giving discounts for Sale and extra discount when already owing some parts of the bundle. This actually was a good design for fair prices to complete a game without having to buy the Complete Edition at full price.

You get Civ 5 Complete for 10 $ or less. An upgrade for 20 $ is then not a good deal.
https://www.mmoga.de/Steam-Games/Civilization-V-5-Complete-Edition.html

Steam allowed you to "complete" your Civ 5 Collection, giving discounts for Sale and extra discount when already owing some parts of the bundle. This actually was a good design for fair prices to complete a game without having to buy the Complete Edition at full price.
Thanx for the additional explanation, not that I was not aware of it. The gold edition upgrade was once beneficial when it was introduced, but not anymore after some time as your example shows it and it got removed at some point.

Are these steamdepot updates for civ6 meaning new dlc's incoming?

Are these steamdepot updates for civ6 meaning new dlc's incoming?

No, they're the pricing history for the base game and R&F, with the % difference in cost between currencies and the lowest recorded sale price for each product so far.

Evidently we should all move to the Ukraine or Kazakhstan if we want to get the best deal on Civ VI related products. Or at least open Ukrainian/Kazakh bank accounts.

You are wrong with that statement, since the cradle of civilization bundle combines 4 different dlc and gives discount:
Ok, I am wrong. Regardless what I have really meant. No problem. I am not lamenting about bargain offers, but I see now, that I am completely inable to help those, who are lamenting.

(Probably it would have been quite funny though, if 2k had delivered Cradle...Map_Pack_Americas, Cradle...Map_Pack_Asia, Cradle...Map_Pack_Mediterranean & Cradle...Map_Pack_Mesopotamia as the 4 components of the civ6 deluxe edition!) :D
Probably thats the reason why I haven't seen it.

I undestand what you are all saying here, but in the end, I get WAAAAYYYY more value by the buck for CIV and all DLCs than any other games I buy... I spent way more hours playing it, and enjoy it for far longer, with much better replayability...

I think the pricing scheme for CIV is quite allright... but that's just me I guess ;-)

Top Bottom