3rd UU/UB Suggestions

ScottMcPwn

Huscarl
Fourth UU/UB/UI Suggestions

After a poll asking how many would like a 3rd/4th UU/UB showing that the vast majority would indeed like one, I decided to make a list of suggestions for each civ:
When I discover how, I will change the name of the thread to "Fourth UU/UB/UI Suggestions" rather than Third.

America - B17, Minuteman, Sherman Tank and Mall
Arabia - Camel Archer, Bazaar, Madrissah and Ikwhan Militia
Austria - Hussar, Coffee House, Grenzers and Landwehr
Aztecs - Jaguar, Floating Garden, Eagle Scout and Tlaloc Canoe
Babylon - Bowman, Walls of Babylon, Ziggurat and Sapper
Byzantium - Cataphract, Dromon, Hillside Monastery and Greek Flamethrower
Carthage - African Forest Elephant, Quiquereme, Cothon and Numidian Cavalry
Celts - Pictish Warrior, Ceilidh Hall, Iceni Chariots and Gallic Swordsman
China - Chu-Ko-Nu, Paper Maker, Fire Lance and Manchu Infantry
Denmark - Berserker, Norwegian Ski Infantry, Stave Church and Longship
Egypt - War Chariot, Burial Tomb, Khopesh Swordsmen and Mamelukes
England/Great Britain- Longbowman, Redcoat, Black Watch and Textile Mill - Ship of the Line should be removed!
Ethiopia - Mehal Sefari, Stele, Oromo Warrior and - Yet to be decided
France - Foreign Legion, Musketeer, Chateau and Gendarme
Germany - Landsknecht, Panzer, Volksgrenadier and Rathaus
Greece - Companion Cavalry, Hoplite, Agora and Gymnasium
Huns - Horse Archer, Battering Ram, Yurt and - Yet to be decided
Incas - Slinger, Terrace Farm, Huaminca and Quechua Warrior
India - War Elephant, Mughal Fort, Sepoy and Rajput
Iroquois - Mohawk Warrior, Longhouse, Kanya Horseman and Mantlet
Japan - Samurai, Zero, Dojo and Ashigaru Musketeer
Korea - Turtle Ship, Hwach'a, Hwarang and KPA Infantry
Mayas - Atlatist, Pyramid, Holcan Spearman and Ballcourt
Mongolia - Keshik, Khan, Ger and Laminate Bowman
Netherlands - Sea Beggar, Polder, Ruyter and Fluyt
Turks/Ottomans- Janissary, Sipahi, Great Bombard and Caravansarais
Persia - Immortal, Satrap's Court, Mahout and Qizilibash Cavalry
Polynesia - Maori Warrior, Moai, Double Headed Canoe and Holiday Resort
Rome - Ballista, Legion, Spa and Forum
Russia - Cossack, Krepost, Shock Infantry and T80 Tank
Siam - Naresuan's Elephant, Wat, Seri Thai and Mercenary Musketeer
Songhai - Mandekalu Cavalry, Mud Pyramid Mosque, Malian Militia and - Yet to be decided
Spain - Tercio, Conquistador, Bull Arena and Rodeleros
Sweden - Hakkapeliitta, Carolean, Sauna and Bollhuset

BNW Speculation:
Poland - Winged Hussar, Ducal Stable and Partisan
Assyria - Siege Tower, Royal Library and Footman
Brazil- Prachinas, Brazilwood Camp and Cangaceiros
?Portugal? - Feitora, Nau/Carrack and Cassador
?Indonesia? - Jong, Candi and Bhayangkara
?Zulus? - Impi, War Hut and Umpakati

Please suggest more!
For any more speculated civs like Portugal, please tell me with a reasonable set of 3 UUs/UBs and I will add them to the list!

For Carthage, Numidian cavalry would be better than the Cothon (port), as the Carthaginians already have free harbours representing the Cothons (Numidian cavalry would replace the horseman, as the elephant already replaces the war chariot).

For Byzantines, there should be Hillside Monasteries as unique improvements (to differentiate from the religious building called Monastery).

Desert nomads would be a poor fit for Ethiopia.

For Carthage, Numidian cavalry would be better than the Cothon (port), as the Carthaginians already have free harbours representing the Cothons (Numidian cavalry would replace the horseman, as the elephant already replaces the war chariot).

For Byzantines, there should be Hillside Monasteries as unique improvements (to differentiate from the religious building called Monastery).

Desert nomads would be a poor fit for Ethiopia.

I agree that Hillside Monasteries would be a good idea, It provies :c5faith: on the tile that it is constructed? (Which must be a hill tile obviously) Would go well with Byzantium being a very faith based civ.

Oh and about Ethiopia - I couldn't find anything much better, Im open to suggestions as this is the point of this thread though.

I agree that Hillside Monasteries would be a good idea, It provies :c5faith: on the tile that it is constructed? (Which must be a hill tile obviously) Would go well with Byzantium being a very faith based civ.

Oh and about Ethiopia - I couldn't find anything much better, Im open to suggestions as this is the point of this thread though.

The hillside monastery would provide some extra :c5faith: on the tile that is constructed and only on a hill obviously, but not more than a holy site. It would synergize well with maximizing the chances of making full use of its UA.

Ethiopia can have Oromo warriors, which can replace (choice of warrior, spearman, swordsman, or pikeman). I took that idea from a GnK speculation thread about Ethiopia.

For the Aztecs, it would be difficult to implement Tlatoc canoes with the game mechanics (and Tlatoc canoes do not work well on coasts or oceans anyways, and the lakes would be too small for any use in most cases). What do you think of the Mesoamerican ballcourt (the Aztecs built many ballcourts, but it can also fit extremely well with the Mayans) to replace the Colosseum that also generates +1 :c5faith:? It would have been ideal to give the Atlatlists to the Aztecs, while the Mayans would have the ballcourt.

The hillside monastery would provide some extra :c5faith: on the tile that is constructed and only on a hill obviously, but not more than a holy site. It would synergize well with maximizing the chances of making full use of its UA.

Ethiopia can have Oromo warriors, which can replace (choice of warrior, spearman, swordsman, or pikeman). I took that idea from a GnK speculation thread about Ethiopia.

For the Aztecs, it would be difficult to implement Tlatoc canoes with the game mechanics (and Tlatoc canoes do not work well on coasts or oceans anyways, and the lakes would be too small for any use in most cases). What do you think of the Mesoamerican ballcourt (the Aztecs built many ballcourts, but it can also fit extremely well with the Mayans) to replace the Colosseum that also generates +1 :c5faith:? It would have been ideal to give the Atlatlists to the Aztecs, while the Mayans would have the ballcourt.

The Oromo Warrior is definately a better candidate so I will add it now.
Hmmm.... I personally would of thought that the Ballcourt is more of a Maya thing really but then again I think the Pyramids would fit the Aztecs better due to their special ability and their love to constantly sacrifice people but then if you give the Ballcourt to one of the two then one of them ends up having 2 UBs because the Aztecs also have the Floating Gardens which isn't really fair.
Perhaps a different Aztec unit could replace the Tlaloc Canoe though, maybe a Skull Knight or an Eagle Scout?

Nice list. IMO every civ should have atleast 1 UB or UI. And they should be spread out if possible( I know some ancient civs live and died in the early ages and won't have a historical base for later Uniques, Persia's Satrap's court being an exception).

Denmark should have an UB called "Andelsmejeri"; loosely translated into "cooperative dairy" replacing the hospistal with some gold bonus. Being a Dane myself i dont think i've ever seen a "Stave church" most medieval churches in Denmark is made of lime/chalk-stones. IMO stave churches is more a Norwegian or Swedish thing.

England should have a "Textile Mill"(replacing the windmill) instead of the Redcoat infantry.

Polynesia should have a "Vacation Resort"(replacing the stadium).

I've done a fair amount of thinking about 3rd uniques. Glad to see we thought of the same things. In my mod idea (which I haven't exactly started making yet) I had England with a radar station replacing the Airfield, a new building which would give bonus XP to air units etc. I thought about giving it a boost to air defense but, given that I rarely see the AI use aircraft, I'd give it a boost to heal rate for planes. The only reason to not do the Redcoat, however, is that there'd b 3 UUs which I would want to avoid.

I'd like to see something for Brazil representing their impressive alternative fuel industry.

And like I mentioned elsewhere, I like Katyusha rocket artillery for Russia, replacing regular artillery without a need to set up.

I'm also glad someone else listed Fire Lance for China. Oh, and an alternative for America - some form of space center or something, either replacing research lab or spaceship factory, that might convey their prominence in the space race. Wouldn't be a bad idea for Russia either (Anything representing the USSR would be neat). And if you want to move away from military for Japan, I'd suggest a Zaibatsu building, probably in place of the Stock Exchange.

Nice list. IMO every civ should have atleast 1 UB or UI. And they should be spread out if possible( I know some ancient civs live and died in the early ages and won't have a historical base for later Uniques, Persia's Satrap's court being an exception).

Denmark should have an UB called "Andelsmejeri"; loosely translated into "cooperative dairy" replacing the hospistal with some gold bonus. Being a Dane myself i dont think i've ever seen a "Stave church" most medieval churches in Denmark is made of lime/chalk-stones. IMO stave churches is more a Norwegian or Swedish thing.

England should have a "Textile Mill"(replacing the windmill) instead of the Redcoat infantry.

Polynesia should have a "Vacation Resort"(replacing the stadium).

The reason I thought the Stave Church would be good for Denmark is because in-game Denmark is focused on the Viking period where Denmark and Norway were united which is also shown with the Norwegian Ski Infantry for Denmark. Personally I think that Firaxis should of made Norway and Demark independent, but clearly they chose to have them as one, I will add the Andelsmejeri to the suggestions list however.
I believe that the British should have Redcoats rather than the Ship of the Line because Britain alone did not just use Ship of the Lines and it isn't unique at all really but none the less, having 3 UUs is a bit OTT so I will add the Textile Mill.
I will also use the Holiday Resort as the Double-Hulled Canoe was a result of not being able to find anything else.
Thank you for suggesting!

I've done a fair amount of thinking about 3rd uniques. Glad to see we thought of the same things. In my mod idea (which I haven't exactly started making yet) I had England with a radar station replacing the Airfield, a new building which would give bonus XP to air units etc. I thought about giving it a boost to air defense but, given that I rarely see the AI use aircraft, I'd give it a boost to heal rate for planes. The only reason to not do the Redcoat, however, is that there'd b 3 UUs which I would want to avoid.

I'd like to see something for Brazil representing their impressive alternative fuel industry.

And like I mentioned elsewhere, I like Katyusha rocket artillery for Russia, replacing regular artillery without a need to set up.

I'm also glad someone else listed Fire Lance for China. Oh, and an alternative for America - some form of space center or something, either replacing research lab or spaceship factory, that might convey their prominence in the space race. Wouldn't be a bad idea for Russia either (Anything representing the USSR would be neat). And if you want to move away from military for Japan, I'd suggest a Zaibatsu building, probably in place of the Stock Exchange.

I would actually like to see 4 UUs/UBs because for some civs I can think up 10 good ones, however there is the problem that some civs are difficult to find UUs/UBs for and 3 is about as much as I can find unless I get help so Im thinking of changing the name to 4 UUs/UBs and try get 4 so hopefully in the very slight chance the devs might encounter it.

Anyway, the Katyusha Artillery would be a good addition to represent the USSR and the battle against the German invasion. Thats why I thought the Shock Infantry would be perfect to do this as they are pretty much your average Russian infantry with a big trench coat, AK-47, Ushanka with a Soviet badge on. And to go along with the Shock Infantry would be T80 Tanks.
I think the Dojo is a pretty sufficient UB as it could also provide the Japanese with culture as well as extra XP for units and another unit I would like to see for Japan is Ashigaru Musketeers to go along with the Samurai.

As a Thai. Royal Thai Infantry is pretty much either ceremonial regiment of troop in royal ceremonies or Thai soldier with pre-WW2 western weapon. How about Mercenary Musketeer? I recalls Ayutthaya hires westerner and exiled christian Japanese to fight in their's army in middle of their era, or maybe shrine or garden replacement with percentage faith enhancement.

The Seri Thai would be much more interesting than the Royal Thai army. The army would never come to my mind as a UU.

I was struggling a bit on UUs for Thailand/Siam so that was my best compromise.
I will add the Seri Thai now.
Thanks for suggesting!

As a Thai. Royal Thai Infantry is pretty much either ceremonial regiment of troop in royal ceremonies or Thai soldier with pre-WW2 western weapon. How about Mercenary Musketeer? I recalls Ayutthaya hires westerner and exiled christian Japanese to fight in their's army in middle of their era, or maybe shrine or garden replacement with percentage faith enhancement.

Yes I researched the Burmese-Siamese War and I believe that Mercenary Musketeers could also be a good addition so I'll add it aswell.
Thanks for suggesting!

3rd UU would be wonderful. I would love to destroy castles with Ottoman Great Bombard. :)

Artillery pieces have no UUs, and there is a lot of famous guns like turkish grand bombard, german flak 88 or fat berta in WWI (UU that could only move on railroad :) ), also there is no mortars, howitzers etc :)

Artillery pieces have no UUs, and there is a lot of famous guns like turkish grand bombard, german flak 88 or fat berta in WWI (UU that could only move on railroad :) ), also there is no mortars, howitzers etc :)

Funny thing is, I was just thinking that myself! :lol:
Yea, like they added MGs, Landships, Great War Infantry and other modern units in G&k, they could add Mortars and Howitzers in BNW because the game really does lack a good variation of artillery.

3rd UU would be wonderful. I would love to destroy castles with Ottoman Great Bombard. :)
I would like to have Caravansarais instead as a UI (replacement of trade post) or UB (replacement of market??). With the bonus related to int. trade routes (extend range of land routes or defended caravans). Caravanserais were afaik first used by the Seljuks, but are also used by the Ottomans. They did even extend the network of caravansarais to the Balkan and North Africa.

I would like to have Caravansarais instead as a UI (replacement of trade post) or UB (replacement of market??). With the bonus related to int. trade routes (extend range of land routes or defended caravans). Caravanserais were afaik first used by the Seljuks, but are also used by the Ottomans. They did even extend the network of caravansarais to the Balkan and North Africa.

Caravansarais would be a good UI to place on trade routes or possibly as a UB?
Could lower the maintanence cost of roads?
And it would fit well with the trade side of BNW, so I'll add it.
Thanks for suggesting!

I think the Mameluke or the Abna spearman would be better as the second Arabian unit.

Top Bottom