1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

9th Civ: It's Sweden

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by D0MIN1C, Apr 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bonafide11

bonafide11 Worker

I disagree. The Huns are original and have a unique play style. They'll be one of the first civs I'll play with when it comes out because they'll be significantly different than any other civ. I have very little interest in playing with Sweden. A bonus with great people towards city-states? Meh. I can't imagine that will significantly alter one's play style. And finding out Sweden is your neighbor isn't going to make you adjust your strategy in any way.

2. crawf0rd

crawf0rd The One and Only

My Guess for their UA: Each GP expended grants influence with all city states, and slightly increases relations with other civs.

3. mabalogna

mabalogna Warlord

Neat a new civ!

My favourite country to play in Empire: Total War, kind of excited for this. YAY

4. PhilBowles

PhilBowles Deity

We don't yet know what the ability will be. It affects relations with other civs, not just CSes, which may very well change your playstyle - you aren't going to want to get on the bad side of a civ that can make friends more easily with other civs. It's also likely to affect the way you interact with CSes. I can't see you doing anything different vs. the Huns than you would vs. the Japanese or the Aztecs - it's fairly standard to try and deter early rushes.

But my objection is in principle to the Huns as a civ - gamewise they might be interesting, but gamewise they could have given those abilities to a real civ.

In terms of gameplay interest, none of the info I've seen so far on the Swedes or other civs strikes me as being as uninteresting as what we've seen of the Celts.

5. tofofnts

tofofnts Warlord

I'm guessing the UA has do with gaining a relations boost with any civ that builds a GP

6. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

Looks like I missed all the fun. :(

Sweden sounds like a nice choice, especially with the scenario. The Carolean doesn't sound particularly unique, but I'm curious as to how the Hakka...whatever interacts with GGs.

7. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I bet you can recognize other civ's great people and citystates in general every so many turns for a diplomatic boost.

8. anandus

anandus Errorist

Just came home.

So it is Sweden. How interesting.
    The UA and UU's sound very interesting.
    (And at least the whole Scandinavian sector is covered. Denmark with Norwegian units, Sweden with Finnish units).

And this leaves lots of room for a second expansion or a large amount of DLC's.
    It makes me a happy boy :)

9. apocalypse105

apocalypse105 Deity

They will have good units just like spain average unique ability strong units

10. Gamling

Gamling Chieftain

Greatness! As a swede I really hoped for this. I made a wish post just days ago. :) But I think a more militaristic UA would suit Gustav II Adolph better.

Reduced unit maintenance? Or maybe something connecting war and faith with diplomacy. He did enter Germany and the 30 years war as the savior of the Lutheran faith. Nobel price is such a late happening and is not really about swedes, it´s mostly foreigners getting the prize anyhow. A passive bonus for other nations getting great people dosn´t seem fun.

Perhaps should the UU light field cannon i suggested earlier for Sweden be a common new unit linking Crossbowmen with the new Gatling guns. It really seem to be a gap there still. Perhaps with just one hex range and no set up required.

11. JFD

JFD Kathigitarkh

Lol. Except for the Danish.

12. anandus

anandus Errorist

I wonder if the Swedish UA is only available after the discovery of dynamite :mischief:

13. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

A more militaristic UA would also suit Napoleon. Having a UA that isn't named after the person who was beheaded before Napoleon came to power would also suit Napoleon.

UA's aren't designed around leaders. A UA named after the Noble Peace Prize suits Sweden. Plus, it reflects modern Sweden.

14. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Deity

Yeah, I'm also hoping for a real medieval scenario with Hungary and Poland
    Besides Portugal - which will certainly be soon added as a DLC - those 2 are the only main missing European civs
    Ideally there would be 2 DLCs released soon: a Portugal-Kongo and a Hungary-Poland doublepack, and then no more Europeans

15. Austria

Austria Chieftain

I am sick and tired[pissed] of hearing people whine about "another European civ". In my opinion, I am hoping for the next new civs to include Portugal, Poland, or maybe even another native American civ, definately not Zulus or any other civ that hasn't earn a spot.

16. Glassmage

Glassmage The Desert Flame

Filthy Europeans ruin everything. :p

17. Gamling

Gamling Chieftain

Yeah even though modern Sweden is a great place to live in today its a boring addition to a game where war is important. We had peace for the last 200 years but before that we our warrior Kings made war for 300 years. At the moment playing civ V I almost never go to war by my self since I am busy improving my land. I don´t need a UA improving all my foreign relations.

The UA should be really unique leading to a play style that makes the nation diverse from the others. Hopefully not just as a passive bonus.

18. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Deity

Not really, no
    I want a whole lot of non-european civs too ;)

19. anandus

anandus Errorist

With Austria and the Huns already in, I really doubt Hungary will ever be in.
    Maybe there'll be a Hungarian UU for Austria? (like the Norwegian/Finnish UU's)

20. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Deity

Yeah, I have to agree unfortunately
    With the inclusion of the Huns from the classical era, and the Austrians from the late Renaissance, both in the same region, the chances are rather slim

I'm still hoping though, Hungary was a way too important medieval power to be left out
    Was one of the top European powers for 600 years!
    Btw, I really don't want to have a Hungarian UU for Austria
    They should get an own UU (there are plenty to choose from), and an UB replacing the Opera House

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.