A Site is Publishing Faces from the Capitol Attack

One of the underlying servies doesn't use proper encryption, which partially breaks the whole thing.
This type of vigilante work should be officially sanctioned though, or not happen at all.
(this one is a private page, not related to the FBI)

I like all of it except the title. This was a coup attempt of people committing and act of terrorism and treason against the country. Not just a random riot somewhere.

I do not know why the link is not working for you. Try facesoftheriot.com

Not all these people did anything illegal. When you click on a face you get the source video. Mostly it is cold people standing around at the rally.

if they broke into the capital building then what I said is true.

I do not know why the link is not working for you. Try facesoftheriot.com

Not all these people did anything illegal. When you click on a face you get the source video. Mostly it is cold people standing around at the rally.
None of the images load for me. This is the link I get for the 1st one, can others see it?

I agree however this may be unwise. But the genie cannot be put back in the bottle.

If you are in public, you can be photographed. In fact, nowadays, if you are in public you are almost certainly being photographed.

Now, imagine these images hooked up to a good facial recognition system. In fact I am fairly sure these images are. Now imagine that facial recognition system is in Russia, China or Iran. I bet it already is.

I agree however this may be unwise. But the genie cannot be put back in the bottle.

If you are in public, you can be photographed. In fact, nowadays, if you are in public you are almost certainly being photographed.

Now, imagine these images hooked up to a good facial recognition system. In fact I am fairly sure these images are. Now imagine that facial recognition system is in Russia, China or Iran. I bet it already is.

You still need a database of names tied to faces.

Not good. It'll only encourage vigilantism in worst sense and will cause further division within society. If the USA is supposed to heal, best thing is to let justice do its work on those who actually broke the law, and put the rest behind.

So anyway, let me tell you a story from the New York Times.

A kid (I am not sure of his age), he had a Korean name, he was from New York someplace, he made a program that violated FaceBook's terms of service. It scraped images off of all sorts of social media sites. He sold his facial-recognition service to law enforcement. The kid refused to talk to the NYT reporter. But the reporter had other soruces.

Some cop from New Jersey let the reporter run his (the reporter's) face through the system.

1) The system identified the reporter correctly.

2) The system brought up photos of the reporter he had never know existed.

3) The kid sent an email to the cop, "Why are you talking to the New York Times?"

Now, if some kid can patch such a system together, what do you think the CIA/NSA/FBI/Chinese/Microsoft/Russians got?

So anyway, let me tell you a story from the New York Times.

A kid (I am not sure of his age), he had a Korean name, he was from New York someplace, he made a program that violated FaceBook's terms of service. It scraped images off of all sorts of social media sites. He sold his facial-recognition service to law enforcement. The kid refused to talk to the NYT reporter. But the reporter had other soruces.

Some cop from New Jersey let the reporter run his (the reporter's) face through the system.

1) The system identified the reporter correctly.

2) The system brought up photos of the reporter he had never know existed.

3) The kid sent an email to the cop, "Why are you talking to the New York Times?"

Now, if some kid can patch such a system together, what do you think the CIA/NSA/FBI/Chinese/Microsoft/Russians got?
A similar tool is developed by Clearview AI. Everyone should know about this before posting images on the web.

Thank you for reminding me. Yes, the system I was talking about was called Clearview.

Quite a few years ago, some guy was posting photos of women on the Moscow subway. He was able to identify them from (immorally) matching them to their faces posted online.

Nothing to worry about. Sleep well, citizen!

As someone has pointed out earlier, I'm concerned that this would only cause vigilantism.

So many of these faces were at the rally 2 miles away from the Capitol, but may not have even gone near the Capitol, let alone going inside it?

Your convicting them for being Trump supporters and nothing else. That is a dangerous precedent.

Top Bottom