Wichita (US, unfortunately)

Nice:
Bam :) (Iran, unfortunately)

Ones I've seen recently/know personally, and not just read on internet:
Love's Park, Illinois
Romance, WI

Sounds gross:
Kickapoo, WI (Kick-a-Poo)
Used to fish on the Kickapoo river with my Gramps.

Southwest Wisconsin is a nice area, lots of pretty green hills.

Last edited:
The Kickapoo were some indian tribe, no? (eg according to E.A.Poe)

Yes, the name just sounds bad if you think of poo as poop. Obviously the meaning behind the name is not bad, and is the reason for the name of the river and the town.
Wiki doesn't say anything about the kickapoo living in Wisconsin (most were in Indiana or Missouri before going to Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas) so those living in WI was perhaps a small tribe or something.

I'd prefer short city names when writing my address. The numerous villages in Norway called Å looks good to me.

Yes, the name just sounds bad if you think of poo as poop. Obviously the meaning behind the name is not bad, and is the reason for the name of the river and the town.
Wiki doesn't say anything about the kickapoo living in Wisconsin (most were in Indiana or Missouri before going to Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas) so those living in WI was perhaps a small tribe or something.

I'd prefer short city names when writing my address. The numerous villages in Norway called Å looks good to me.

This is why the standard two letter state code system was invented. Otherwise everyone would have flooded into Iowa and Ohio.

Moderator Action: This thread really needs more than single word posts to remain viable. Please remember that this is a discussion forum first and foremost.

Teotihuacan
Titicaca... always liked saying that :D

Also Wala-wala, Washington

Also Manayunk, PA... although its not, strictly speaking an actual town, but is a section of Philadelphia with many waterfront bars on the Schuylkill River (pronounced "School-Kill"... yeah I know :ack:)... Anyway Manayunk is a Native American word that loosely translates into "Where we go to drink" (cause of the river) which of course makes for a nifty little pun in contemporary usage ;)

Tighnabruaich is the most ~~~aesthetic~~~ place name, possibly word, in human language.

Can you write out a Hunnic pronunciation guide for it

I'm partial to the names La Rochelle, Sofia, Den Haag, Ramat Gan, Kortrijk, Tblisi and Gaylord.

I'm partial to the names La Rochelle, Sofia, Den Haag, Ramat Gan, Kortrijk, Tblisi and Gaylord.
I was thinking about some Eastern European names myself. Tblisi is a good one. I also like saying Tirana and Dubrovnik.

Ever been there? It's pretty cool.

Unfortunately, a ton of ruins on the St. Louis side of the river were torn down to make St. Louis. At one point St. Louis even had the nickname of 'mound city' due to all of the mound ruins there. It's really a tragedy how much of our own history we have erased without any thought over time.

Ever been there? It's pretty cool.

No, I've been to a lot of the country but not that part. Would love to go one day, but when it's time to decide where to go for vacation I always seem to end up in California :cool:

To be honest there are a lot cooler/more impressive historical sites to visit than Cahokia.

Well, if I'm going for archaeology I want to go to the Old World, for the most part. I really would like to get around the Aegean and Syria one day, but given the, ah, unpleasantness going on around there atm that's kind of off the table.

There's no particular unpleasantness going on in the Aegean that I know of, short of the usual Graeco-Turkish relations.

I wouldn't really want to go to Turkey as long as it's lurching toward dictatorship or whatever is going on. An acquaintance of mine was there during the "coup" a couple of years ago, her relating the experience soured me on the idea of going there.

Top Bottom