1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

AI+ v13.1

AI Improvements for Civ VI

1. Siesta Guru

Siesta Guru Prince

If the vanilla AI can handle it, there should be no problems using these mods in combination.

2. AlyG

AlyG Chieftain

maybe a stupid question, will the new v3 work on my v2 game that I was playing or only on new games? had finally such a good starting spot..

3. Triarier

Triarier Chieftain

4. bombardier

bombardier Chieftain

All units should act like the barbarian ai, the attack no matter if it it's a victory or not. It's not that the ai could handle replacing units quick and their economy is broken after a few turns anyway. City walls in that matter should be nerfed also, this whole siege thing just slows down the war and favors the human opponent.

5. AlyG

AlyG Chieftain

I did save the game on turn 1, but whats written in that thread is chineese for me, I have notepad++ and I search the 93 e5 thing but its not in there... and stuff like 197 bites after standardmaps will be your seed... to I have to count every letter after the word "standardmaps"? confuuusing

6. plus

plus Warlord

how do i do it ? pls, can u reply with the full command to just tell the ai to settle at 8 tiles distance?
    actually i dont think it' s so simple..i used in civ5 a mod called settler ai which did just that,and it made amazing games ,where each city counted .

7. Sting

Sting Chieftain

just have finished my 70th turn on immortal level. Had war with Gilgamesh. He sent like 9 or so chariots, i wasn't much ready to the unexpected war. As a greek all i did is put couple hoplites on the hills on the way to my capital, and fortified them. He could really pass them and strike directly the unprotected capital the game would be over, but instead he took the bait and stuck trying to kill the hoplites. I had enough time to make and buy several archers, and finish whatever left of them.
    I wish AI could think out the optimal way to actually win the war instead of just randomly attack everything it sees.

8. AlyG

AlyG Chieftain

well used another hxd editor instead of notpad++ and it works got ma seed yay :)

9. heinous_hat

heinous_hat Prince

Ah, I see... wasn't familiar with the mod. That's a comprehensive lua mod that affects settlement tendency... it doesn't impose a hard limit. So there are exceptions based on available space and such. Nifty :).

You would not want to do what I was suggesting (impose a hard limit), especially not with an 8 tile radius... you'll break gameplay, at least without making further balance changes. I've tried it with 4 tiles on huge maps and even that begins to create space problems. Nevertheless, CITY_MIN_RANGE can be found in GlobalParameters.xml, if you want to see for yourself.

10. opezdl

opezdl Chieftain

well, this AI actually forced me to lower difficultcy from emperor to king. And AI was able to capture my city... 1st time since game was relesead ( shumer war-cart spam... hard to counter it on small maps... ) !!!
    thx siesta guru

11. oedali

oedali King

Yay, thanks for the hot fix. Looking forward to trying a new game with v3.

So it looks like Combined AI mod is discontinued, and Delnars AI mod is absorbed into this one (mostly?), making this one the one AI mod we can follow until the official patch? It'd be great if there is only 1 AI mod vs multiple ones to choose from. :)

12. the343danny

the343danny Emperor

It doesnt seem like the AI is valuing fresh water highly enough still. In my game there are countless settlements just a single tile from a source of water, even though they have gained nothing from settling there instead.

13. Kaboodle

Kaboodle Chieftain

I'm afraid v3 is not working well for me. The ai will simply not build settlers or cities - is this a conflict with another mod e.g. delmar for example? Help please

14. Siesta Guru

Siesta Guru Prince

That's great to hear! Sumeria is deadly indeed. So far he's had the best results in ai versus ai battles too. He often takes a couple of cities in wars, sometimes even takes out entire immortal/emperor civs.

So right now, this one is probably the furthest and I'm planning to keep improving it until it starts hitting the limits imposed by the engine. But Delnars still has some unique thoughts in there (like some new pillaging attacks), and I'm sure he's going to improve on it further, possibly making his mod the one to watch in the future.
    Also have a look at MadDjinns tech tree mod, which makes the tech tree a little more reasonable, which also improves the AI's ability to navigate the tree, and that should be fully compatible.

I've been noticing this too, even though the valuation of fresh water is actually rather high now. It's weirdly common they settle one spot away, much more so than 2 spots away. I've calculated the valuations out and it should be way higher on the river spot. My suspicion is that they actually want to settle on the spot next to the water, but then 'accidentally' settle a spot away because of the way the operations work. The same thing happens with coastal tiles a lot too, where harald, whos supposed to have a huge preference for coastal, often settles one spot away.

You may have accidentally downloaded v2 instead of v3, where that was a big problem. Could you check in the .modinfo file in the mod if it's set to version 2? If so, download the new version and the problem should be gone.

15. rico12

rico12 Chieftain

First thanks a lot for your work.

Some comments on the v3 :
    - settlers build city far from the capital ;
    - ai build many settlers. Somme settlers don't build any city ; perhaps it's normal but i observe the number of city is very different between my neighboor. In fact rusia has 10 city, usa 5 five and germany 4. All these country has some area to build cities
    - ai for war looks better ; i am not sure but i saw more updated units not for city state
    - two situations stange :
    an ai civilization usa build a lot of soldiers ; stay close from my borders with a great army bt*ut don't attack me
    after perhaps 50 turns i destroyed a civilization who have only one or two military units

16. rico12

rico12 Chieftain

I discover 4 others civilizations :

- Moctezuma (13 cities)
    - Japan (1 city)
    Chinese (6 cities)
    england (8 cities)

For Japan is not the consequences of war

17. rico12

rico12 Chieftain

All ai civilizations have a lot of settlers waiting close from their cities

18. Kruos

Kruos Warlord

Some feedback after a 150 turns game cession on Standard Pangea map with 10 AIs (+2 vs game suggestion) :

- The AIs tend to settle firstly close to their borders, and then search for other spot more far;
    > Seems pretty good to me, I even kept a AI city I conquered because the spot was good

- Still, the AIs tend to send 2 settlers simultaneously to the same spot sometime;
    > Following your discussion with Delnar I know that it is a difficult thing to adress, so maybe the AIs would be more efficient if their settlers number would be cap to 1 (but with a high flavor/pseudoyield priority still), I wonder?

- Militarily, the armies look definetely better, with some range support in big offensive force;
    > Seems an improvment vs vanilla

- Alas the tactical AI is still pretty uncapable to take a fortified city (with rempart), the offensive agent in particular looks too conservative;
    > I think you are not far from making it efficient, if you can find a way to to make the capture city operation slightly more suicidal I think it would be far more efficient
    > Maybe also reduce the #numberofunitaroundcitytarget trigger to fire the assault earlier and thus reduce city bombardment
    > Maybe also tweak a little #capturecityoperationforce composition, to have at least one "anti-rempart" units in the force when the target have rempart

Here are some screenshot from a city assault failure I was able to monitor (the AI took too much time to group its units around the city state, and when it launched the assault it aborted soon after to avoid more loss - by attacking sooner and suicide some units it may have been able to capture the city IMO*) :

*EDIT: Not so sure about this when rethinking to it, the rempart are really really powerfull actually, and without anti-rempart units it is very difficult to capture a city

That's it for now, keep up the good work! :)

19. Siesta Guru

Siesta Guru Prince

Thanks for all the feedback guys! I wish I knew how to solve the settlers issues. I feel the AI is producing an appropriate amount of settlers right now, but indeed struggles heavily to get actually get the bloody things to move to the right spots. v3 should at least include some minor improvements here, but I don't think the issue is going to go completely away soon. Reducing the max limit of settler operations back to the vanilla of 1 does make the issue less visible, but its only less visible because the AI ends up significantly underproducing settlers. REXing is very very powerful this game, so especially on quick/online with immortal/deity on it really shouldn't be constrained to putting one city down every 20 or so turns. Sadly the basic system doesn't scale at all with game speed and there's a hardcoded 10 turn wait in vanilla in there.

@rico12 you did mean that japan actually build settlers, but never used them right? Or were there no settlers whatsoever? What difficulty level were you on where you saw the AI with only 2 military units?

What you're seeing with them not building rams might be caused by the city state building a wall after the AI decided to attack. It only checks for walls (and I have no way to change this) when it starts its operation. The walled city attack does require at least one siege support unit. Which thinking about it, may actually be a terrible idea (its also in vanilla), because in later eras they may not have siege support units around, and there's no way to customize these requirements based on era.

20. rico12

rico12 Chieftain

@Siesta Guru ai use some settlers but not all. In fact, each ai civilisation build few cities but i could see three or four settlers waiting in the teritory of few of mtyneighbour.
    I play at Level prince