All leader portraits

I'm still seeing Mehmed II, so I tried making a better recreation image to show it.

I took not the right part of the big image. Here is a better version by pasting the blurry image into the big one:

View attachment 409766

You can see the dark and the white flag from the background. The flag is your "feather".

I don't think so. Mehmed II's hat is white in the painting which should contrast with his beard, but in the blurred image they don't.

...also those 2 blurred breasts don't fit into the painting at all.

Maybe it has been mentioned before, but what if Barbarossa doesn't represent Germany but rather the Holy Roman Empire (HRE)?

Although that wouldn't fit into the alphabetical order with Greece coming next, it would open up the possibilities for B5.

I am fairly certain that the picture on C5 is Mehmed II. The picture from Draeran looks a lot more sensible than other suggestions (e.g. the picture from kaspergm) based on what we can see. Draeran's picture looks a lot like an Ottoman ruler. And given that Mehmed II has been teased at, whilst Korea, Persia, etc, have not, and there is no other slot on this board that looks like an ottoman leader, I feel that we can be fairly certain that it is Mehmed II.

This is the Ottoman tease I am talking about:
https://twitter.com/civgame/status/736968372559040512

I see two things:
Ottoman like emperor, but with white beard
Horse painting in an oriental/asian artstyle
The first one seems like a way better bet, but I won't exclude the second one yet since possibility of Mongols

Hope this thread turns into a paint drawing contest

Arioch and others, myself included, pointed out E1 could be Philipp II of Spain.

The picture proposed seems like an almost perfect match:
Spoiler :

I've gone crazy trying to confirm this, but regretably, I've concluded the photos are not a perfect match.

1. If we align (blue lines) the shiny part of the cuirass, the armpit is severly misplaced. I've morphed the pictures, rotated them, everything. They just don't match.

2. If we take a look at some brighter areas, some of the colours don't seem to match either. Again, i've tried playing with contrast, lighting, saturation and anything I could come up with, to no avail.

At this point I think we can be pretty sure Spain is represented by Isabella on D5 (Even if they made a mistake when choosing the photo), and we are looking at something else here.

Edit: It is of course entirely possible this is just some other Philipp II painting. I've gone crazy looking for other options and found nothing that matches.

I'll be surprised if it's Mehmed. They could've chosen a much much better picture. :lol:

I'll agree that it is not clear what the picture is, but all of the rest of the evidence points to Mehmed II. No one has yet matched the picture of Teddy Roosevelt to a real picture, which is likely because it is an fact a picture from the game. The same could be the case here.

What about something like this?
Spoiler :

Edit: How do I resize this to place it side-by-side with

Good drawing IdiotStyle, yes now I see the standing person as you depicted in the middle image also. Definitely a possibility.

Arioch and others, myself included, pointed out E1 could be Philipp II of Spain.
Spoiler :

The picture proposed seems like an almost perfect match:
Spoiler :

I've gone crazy trying to confirm this, but regretably, I've concluded the photos are not a perfect match.

1. If we align (blue lines) the shiny part of the cuirass, the armpit is severly misplaced. I've morphed the pictures, rotated them, everything. They just don't match.

2. If we take a look at some brighter areas, some of the colours don't seem to match either. Again, i've tried playing with contrast, lighting, saturation and any thing I could come up with, to no avail.

At this point I think we can be pretty sure Spain is represented by Isabella on D5 (Even if they made a mistake when choosing the photo), and we are looking at something else here.
Good job. I too was sceptical about that match.

Goryeo was one of my ideas for B5 as well. some Anceint Korean portraits as drawn with them wearing yellow like the blurry image. However none of them that I've looked through matched.

I was thinking about this as well. Especially because of the Wang Kong Civ 3/4 leader screens with him in yellow. I couldn't find any sort of google image to match though.

Also I doubt (like Mongolia/Golden Horde theories) that they would change the civ name away to Goryeo, which would fit alphabetically, when its been Korea in previous iterations.

I think if you're having to paint a picture to get a match then it's pretty much just an ink blot at that point - everything else had proper image references that were able to be tracked down in less than a day as a perfect match.

As for what it actually is, it has to be between Kongo and Poland, right? So as far as civs that have been represented in Civ before, that includes Korea, Mali, Maya, Mongolia, Morocco, Native American, the Ottomans, and Persia. I think we can safely rule out the Native Americans as a blob civ again, which leaves us with seven options if it's a returning civ. Of course, it could be a new one - Mutapa and Mapungubwe would fit in place of Zimbabwe, though I would imagine Firaxis would want the name recognition of the latter. There's also a whole host of M civs - the Maori, Mapuche, Makuria, the Minoans, the Mughals, Maratha, Maurya, Macedon, Moors, and so on. Then there's stuff like Nubia, Novgorod, Norway, Normandy, Oman, the Papal States, Phoenicia, Papuans, Majapahit, Paraguay. My point is, we're at a point where there are too many options to simply go based on alphabetical order, so we need to look at other ways to go about it. They've talked of TSL a hell of a lot, maybe it's the Majapahit as a SE Asian civ, or the Pagan Empire? Ottomans or Persia are a high likelyhood as well, but we'd need to try and find an actual image instead of painting one to look like it.

Have you tried to match it to the Erik XIV painting?

Yes, I'm afraid they don't match either.

I can't even find a point of reference to compare both photos, they are simply too different. (Full armour instead of Cuirass, reflections, lack of gold colour on the left of the chest).

I can confirm that's not the photo we are looking for.

Considering their Ottoman-tweet, I'd assume C5 is some Ottoman leader.

Btw, from far away (like, on the original picture), I always thought B5 looked like a photograph of east asian man with short hair/hat/helmet and a moustache.

I think if you're having to paint a picture to get a match then it's pretty much just an ink blot at that point - everything else had proper image references that were able to be tracked down in less than a day as a perfect match.

I drew the mock-up not to function as a matching image, but rather to show people what I was seeing; as lots of people still believe the dark bit is a pointy hat, I see a turban.

Top Bottom