Altered Maps VI: Xorda Gene Bombs.. going from Earth to Mobius

Status
Not open for further replies.
A map of europe, colour-coded base don the amount of syllables in the capital's name... i dreamt I did this so I did it
View attachment 243959

I think fatherhood is having some weird effects on me

Brilliant.

But Iceland and Slovenia confuse me.

To wit: why isn't Iceland there? Is it not European enough?

And have I been mispronouncing the capital of Slovenia all these years? Oh, the shame . . .

Ljubljana has indeed only 3 syllables (in fact, in some Slavic languages with a Cyrillic alphabet - Slovenia never had such an alphabet - "lj" is just one single letter). :)

And yes, the map is brilliant.

I cannot help but think though... if the names were in their native languages, Prague would have 2 syllables. Do one with names of the countries too, if you have the time to! :D

OK, same thing with country names. For ease and bigotry, the UK has been counted as Britain. View attachment 243971

Edit: Winner, I'm going on English pronounciation. BTW, is 'Hrad' as in Czech for castle' related tp 'Grad' in Russian?

Doesn't "Roma" have two syllables too, in Italian?

You beat me to it! I was going to ask the same exact question!

Because Vienna is 3 syllables in English, but only 1 in German (Wien)

TLO, he's counting it as 5- look closely, Lithuania and Macedonia are a slightly different color than the ones with 4 syllables.

Some other mistakes on the capital map: Andorra La Vella has 6 syllables, Pristina has 3, Reykjavik has 3, Liechtenstein has 3, and Chisinau has 3.

On the country map: Ireland has 3, I think, and I can't tell if the color of Slovenia is 4 syllables or 5. It should be 4.

Sorry, thinking of the country, not the capital. Why can't it have a city with the same name as the country like all the other microstates? :cry:

See TLO's post, though I can easily see it pronounced with 4.
Ireland is tough to pick 2 or 3. I would most likely go with 2.

See TLO's post, though I can easily see it pronounced with 4.
Ireland is tough to pick 2 or 3. I would most likely go with 2.

Isn't there an established & accepted way of counting syllables? Ireland is 3, Macedonia is 4, end of story! :scan:

nia is ni-a to me.

By that logic, any other country ending -ia should be shortened one syllable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom