Altered Maps XIV: Cartographical Consistency

Borachio said:
Not enough majorettes.

We can fix that.

==========================

Warpus,

Domen said:
warpus said:
Meanwhile the Hungarian parts of Romania that are singled out on the map are Hungarian majority areas

And so is the entire area around the city of Wilno (the city itself was more affected by post-war deportations).

In the map below "A" is area with Polish majority today ("B" and "C" - areas with Polish majority in the past):

After the end of WW2, 197,156 ethnic Poles were deported from Soviet Lithuania in period 1944-1948 and 46,552 more in period 1955-1958. Among those deported in 1944-1948, a very high proportion - 44.1% - were urban dwellers, 55.9% were rural dwellers and 107,613 were either from Wilno City or Wilno County. According to 1959 census in Lithuania, there were still 230,107 ethnic Poles in that country, including 70.2% (161,523) rural dwellers and 29.8% urban dwellers. So as you can see, Wilno ceased to be a majority-Polish city because deportations affected urban Poles more than they did affect rural Poles.

In 1959, after the end of deportations, districts with highest % of ethnic Poles in Lithuania were (according to official census data):

Vilnius County – 64,467 Poles (80,3%) and 5,546 Lithuanians (6,9%)
Vilnius City – 47,226 Poles (20,0%) and 79,363 Lithuanians (33,6%)
Salcininkai – 37,182 Poles (85,2%) and 2,918 Lithuanians (6,7%)
Trakai (+ Elektrenai) – 24,332 Poles (43,4%) and 5,103 Lithuanians (9,1%)
Svencionys – 18,158 Poles (45,7%) and 5,901 Lithuanians (14,9%)

In Vilnius City Poles were 20%, but in districts around they were still absolute (Vilnius, Salicininkai) or relative (Trakai+Elektrenai, Svencionys) majority.

Today ethnic Lithuanians are slightly over 50% in the city of Vilnius (in 1959 they were still just 1/3 of inhabitants).

Percent of Poles in the city of Vilnius IIRC either stayed at around 20%, or even increased to 25% since 1959 (due to rural-urban migrations).

warpus said:
But it still does seem that the Hungarian speaking parts of Romania are a majority

Hungarians are still majority in two districts, IIRC. Percent of Hungarians is constantly decreasing according to official Romanian censuses.

===================================

As for the deportation of Poles from Lithuania after WW2, and bringing in new people to settle houses abandoned by deported Poles:

Most of deported Poles were replaced by ethnic Russians (so that today Lithuanians can complain about two ethnic minorities, instead of one). That was because Soviet Lithuania simply had not enough ethnic Lithuanians to replace population lost in deportations. They had to bring in Russians, etc.

And precisely for that reason many Poles in rural areas were not deported. Not enough people to replace such a demographic loss.

So we can still ejoy Polish language and culture in the Wileńszczyzna (Wilno Region) today.

The situations are not comparable, or at least don't seem to be. Wilno is a multicultural city - the Polish population in it is about 20%. Meanwhile the Hungarian parts of Romania that are singled out on the map are Hungarian majority areas - at least I am under the impression that they are. And a minority and majority are different... so..

Another map:

Libya looks messed up, even next to the other stuff on that map..
Other than Yemen, anyway.

Looks like a EUIII map with rebel movements.

^ Continuation of Ukrainian-related maps:

From "Two Ukraines and maps" article: http://gojzradomska.salon24.pl/551944,dwie-ukrainy-a-mapy

1) Strong polarization of political preferences in Ukraine:

2) 17th century borders of Poland in what is now Ukraine:

Light brown = lands lost by Poland to Russia in 1667 - 1686

3) Comparison of the two maps posted above:

Black line = Polish-Soviet border in period 1921 - 1939

Conclusions:

Areas which were in Poland until 1939 (and especially once Austrian-controlled E. Galicia) strongly supported Tymoshenko.
Areas which were parts of Poland since the 14th or 16th until the 17th or 18th centuries preferred Tymoshenko (but less strongly).
Areas which were never parts of Poland (easternmost and southern regions of Ukraine) supported Yanukovych instead.

I thought you already had a thread for posting Poland stuff…

I don't have any thread for posting Ukraine stuff, though.

And Poland thread, actually two as there was also "Ask a Pole" started by Squonk, are already too old to necro-revive them.

BTW - don't you have a thread for posting pink-haired fantasy cat-humans with annoying facial expressions ???

This avatar keeps popping up. :sad: And it can't be classified as a map. It's definitely a cat not a map.

I don't have any thread for posting Ukraine stuff, though.
But over half your posts are about Poland anyway!
Domen said:
And Poland thread, actually two as there was also "Ask a Pole" started by Squonk, are already too old to necro-revive them.
Then why don't you post about poland there? I thought it had been quarantined to that area.
Domen said:
BTW - don't you have a thread for posting pink-haired fantasy cat-humans with annoying facial expressions ???
Annoyed facial expressions. Whether it annoys you or not is irrelevant.
Domen said:
This avatar keeps popping up. :sad: And it can't be classified as a map. It's definitely a cat not a map.
If it's so annoying then you should have voted when I hosted my election last year. What do you suggest for my new avatar?

Interestingly enough, the expression on Takh's avatar usually describes how I feel when I scroll through Domen's posts: cautious optimism slowly replaced with the horror that the worst has already happened.

What does "socio-economic" mean in this context? As far as I know, abortion is legal in the UK. Does it just mean you have to convince a doctor that you want one?

We just want it all to end, and the only way is currently by sinking to the sea or going with stupid welfare politics and create an astronomical debt. Except that would mean for a moment we'd be genuinely happy, and that's not the point of the exercise.

Top Bottom