Ancient City Ruins

Rainbow Sand

Chieftain
I have finally and fully uncovered why these features bothered me so much. As it is known on example of recently discovered ruins of Arkaim, they were completely UNDERGROUND - as it was with Troy. So "city ruins" lying openly around after glacial thawing fallout a.k.a. "morena" is uber-nonsense. These must be hidden like "patrian artifacts" and revealed by casting "dowsing" divination spell with radius of 1 plot around caster - rewards for looting these must be SUBSTANTIAL and include techs/spells/artifacts - treasure hunting fun and full replacement for those insane goody huts.

"I HATE HUT[t]S" /Anakin Skywalker

It's a mod set in a -fantasy- world, and if you read fantasy literature you'd be aware of the fact that fantasy worlds are almost always dotted with ancient ruins of long dead civilizations -above- ground.

So yeah. In the real world your gripe makes sense. But RifE isn't remotely based on the real world... Unless you know of humanoid lizard folk walking around in the jungles of our world.

<_<

>_>

I have finally and fully uncovered why these features bothered me so much. As it is known on example of recently discovered ruins of Arkaim, they were completely UNDERGROUND - as it was with Troy. So "city ruins" lying openly around after glacial thawing fallout a.k.a. "morena" is uber-nonsense. These must be hidden like "patrian artifacts" and revealed by casting "dowsing" divination spell with radius of 1 plot around caster - rewards for looting these must be SUBSTANTIAL and include techs/spells/artifacts - treasure hunting fun and full replacement for those insane goody huts.

"I HATE HUT[t]S" /Anakin Skywalker

Sounds like a good idea for a mod mod (mod). Get crackin' RS! :)

It's a mod set in a -fantasy- world, and if you read fantasy literature you'd be aware of the fact that fantasy worlds are almost always dotted with ancient ruins of long dead civilizations -above- ground.
Yuck! "Ducks are birds, and if you read about birds such as eagles, and be aware of how they tear their prey apart with mighty claws, you shall conclude that ducks are fierce predators." A little logic thinking please, or do i ask too much?..

Read some wiki entries on glaciers and thawing floods if you please...

After some thought:Oh, wait, do you mean that Erebus is not located on one of the Prime Material Planes, and thus "normal" physic laws are unapplicable there because the whole world is but a fickle illusion?

So yeah. In the real world your gripe makes sense. But RifE isn't remotely based on the real world... Unless you know of humanoid lizard folk walking around in the jungles of our world.
Wow. "Our world"=="the only real world" and "all fantasy worlds can be whatever we imagine them to be"? Good luck after your death;) As for definition of "real" i recommend to watch first Matrix once again if (the horrible suspicion) you did it already.

Yuck! "Ducks are birds, and if you read about birds such as eagles, and be aware of how they tear their prey apart with mighty claws, you shall conclude that ducks are fierce predators." A little logic thinking please, or do i ask too much?..

After some thought:Oh, wait, do you mean that Erebus is not located on one of the Prime Material Planes, and thus "normal" physic laws are unapplicable there because the whole world is but a fickle illusion?

Wow, that's rude.

BTW. Ereubus is a flat world. It is not a Globe or for that matter this world. Perhaps we should remove Dragons & all the other fantasy elements?

How about you don't use ancient ruins in map creation? :rolleyes:

On behalf of my scouts, they do enjoy their daily doze of enervations and interesting treasure, so the ruins stay in my maps.

Wow, that's rude.
Indeed, as it was intended. Because I was sensibly offended by such display of what i deem to be an ignorance.

BTW. Ereubus is a flat world. It is not a Globe or for that matter this world.
If it has gravity - all evidence suggests it - then glacial and flood mechanics there are the same as on Earth. It can be otherwise only if gravity on Erebus much weaker, of which i haven't found any evidence and what should be asked of Magister Cultuum or Kael himself. And also it's "one moon" adds tidal factor to the mess.

Perhaps we should remove Dragons & all the other fantasy elements?
Irrelevant towards the topic. Also quite childish.

How about you don't use ancient ruins in map creation? :rolleyes:

On behalf of my scouts, they do enjoy their daily doze of enervations and interesting treasure, so the ruins stay in my maps.

Now there you had hit the point! I like ruins and treasure finding in general, but as they are they are imo 'unrealistic' (offend my sense of truth) and way too easy to find.

Now there you had hit the point! I like ruins and treasure finding in general, but as they are they are imo 'unrealistic' (offend my sense of truth) and way too easy to find.

Ah, I suppose they could consider making them less frequent around the map.

Logical thinking in a setting where it's possible for a single person to conjure a ball of flame that possesses the physical force and mass to -smash- through solid stone walls, or alternatively exploded with enough force to destroy said wall despite being a mere ball of flame that contains no explosive material within itself.

And what's with the bird analogy? I mean seriously... Though I expect its to do with my statement regarding fantasy worlds. And if you read my statement again I said -almost- always.

Nope. I'm saying normal physical laws are inapplicable because A Wizard Did It. Also Assertion Twelve.

Wow. "Our world"=="the only real world" and "all fantasy worlds can be whatever we imagine them to be"? Good luck after your death;) As for definition of "real" i recommend to watch first Matrix once again if (the horrible suspicion) you did it already.

You made reference to our world... And now you are saying that our world isn't the only real world? Yet you get upset because the laws of physics in this fantasy world differs from those of our own world? Um... Not to sound rude, but...

Where the hell is that logical thinking you where talking about earlier? Or am I misreading your meaning in this last paragraph?

Edit: Also. What Jarwy said.

Indeed, as it was intended. Because I was sensibly offended by such display of what i deem to be an ignorance.

If it has gravity - all evidence suggests it - then glacial and flood mechanics there are the same as on Earth. It can be otherwise only if gravity on Erebus much weaker, of which i haven't found any evidence and what should be asked of Magister Cultuum or Kael himself. And also it's "one moon" adds tidal factor to the mess.

Irrelevant towards the topic. Also quite childish.

Be polite. I do not care if someone's supposed 'ignorance' offends you.

Others are able to be polite while dealing with your inane comments, countless spam threads, and pointless comparisons to other games, mythology's, and completely unrelated ideologies, and frankly should be able to expect the same of you.

Excellent! Someone had at last rose up to my duel challenge!
Logical thinking in a setting where it's possible for a single person to conjure a ball of flame that possesses the physical force and mass to -smash- through solid stone walls, or alternatively exploded with enough force to destroy said wall despite being a mere ball of flame that contains no explosive material within itself.
Yes. I can apply logic rules to anything because i choose to.
On your implied impossibility of fireball, i can say that this wall-smashing feat can be done with ball of water or ball of feathers as well. Are you aware of modern industrial metal-cutting technique performed with a thin stream of water? It is but a matter of acceleration, my friend, F=m*a if you still remember school physic course:D Speaking of that feat performed by a person, that hypothetic person obviously spends much more time training than i am forum trolling.
And what's with the bird analogy? I mean seriously... Though I expect its to do with my statement regarding fantasy worlds. And if you read my statement again I said -almost- always.
It is a predicate with the same structure, except its end, which is what i assumed you had meant, where variables are filled with "birds" instead of "fantasy worlds", to illustrate its contradiction to the formal logic. I assumed wrong and your sentence is indeed irrelevant as it does not directly points at Erebus.
Nope. I'm saying normal physical laws are inapplicable because A Wizard Did It. Also Assertion Twelve.
As i get it, the only ultimate rule in game is GM's will that can change existing rules at his whim. But there is one more fundamental law, that players shall only stay within GM's illusion while it fits them, thus they are allowed to vote for the rule changes for these to match their wishes. So i do, wishing that FfH ruleset contained as little of stupidity and insanity as possible.
You made reference to our world... And now you are saying that our world isn't the only real world?
True and true.
Yet you get upset because the laws of physics in this fantasy world differs from those of our own world?
I had not written clearly enough, obviously... well, i shall try again.

D&D 4E Manual of Planes states that "Gravity works normally on the vast majority of
planes." Having found no evidense that it is not so upon the Erebus, i assume that Erebus has "normal gravity", "It acts as one would expect in the mortal world".
According to the around-normal-gravity physical laws, any surface ruins shall be swept away and buried after world-wide glacial thawing. As Erebus is a flat world then, as there is a mentioned day-night cycle it has a pseudo-equatorial zone lying at the base of perpendiculars erected from the surface towards the sun's trajectory where glaciers might not had covered the surface completely. But high temperature/moisture vegetation destroys any ruins almost as effectively as morena so it makes no fundamental difference, except that in this jungle zone ruins at the time of ancient game start buried not so deep and may be occasionally partially noticeable.
Oh! and here comes another implication: civs containing beings who existed before the Age of Ice might remember the exact locations of those ruins while others, relying only upon the half-forgotten stories, are not.
Um... Not to sound rude, but...
Dont be so shy with me:cool:

Good grief. It's a fantasy game? Why must everything be logical?

There are plenty of other games, movies and books that contradict themselves, but that does not prevent them from being enjoyable, nor do they always remove the player/watcher/reader from the diegesis.

I would say that ancient ruins are perfect. If you don't think about them too much, they make perfect sense and add flavor and a sense of majesty. I never even thought for a second about them being buried underground until you started mentioning glaciers :p.

Besides, these structures were built during the Age of Magic yes? Perhaps they built to withstand even glaciers with "Magic" as that charming strip demonstrates above.

Be polite. I do not care if someone's supposed 'ignorance' offends you. Others are able to be polite while dealing with your inane comments, countless spam threads, and pointless comparisons to other games, mythology's, and completely unrelated ideologies, and frankly should be able to expect the same of you.
Truth is, i believe some people find my spam- and troll- posts quite funny (one of them even added me as a friend for that exact reason). I also believe that you aware of medieval role of "court jester" which i am sincerelly trying to fill. And my comparisons are not pointless by the definition as they do/I] point to other games, mythos, etc, some of which are possibly of more interest to some people than FfH itself. As it's audience consists as i presume mainly of teenagers who might have not yet found those sources on their own, thus i believe myself to be of public service.
And also are you saying that irony and sarcasm are not acceptable on these forums?

Another notion is that in D&D primary spellcaster skill "concentration" is countered by "taunt".

If you don't think about them too much, they make perfect sense
I never even thought for a second about them being buried underground until you started mentioning glaciers :p.
Brilliant!!! Majestic!!! Shining example of what i am ranting about! Thoughtlessness.
As the only imo worthwhile purpose of all computer games for player is to exercise his mind, learn fancy facts and sniff intriguing enchantments, by this unthinking attitude you defy about half the purpose.

Exactly! I play games to have some fun! To not think about boring things! To feel that sense of majesty at the remnants of a ancient civilization!

I am so glad you understand.

Besides, these structures were built during the Age of Magic yes? Perhaps they built to withstand even glaciers with "Magic" as that charming strip demonstrates above.
True. Although there is to note that classic indestructible wizard tower is undestructible while its owner holds together the protective wards. After the owner's exodus such a structure either collapses instantly (Elephant Tower, Konan cycle) or "fell rapidly to ruin" (Countess castle, Diablo 2)
Exceptions to this tendency are present, and they are the unique features, with semi-sentient guardians or self containing wards left for the maintenance. We, on the other hand, are talking about ancient city ruins, with probability of these being enchanted heavily enough to survive glaciation close to zero because of it's meaninglessness - eternal cattle pens and servant barracks:rolleyes:

Exactly! I play games to have some fun! To not think about boring things! To feel that sense of majesty at the remnants of a ancient civilization!

I am so glad you understand.
A classic difference between the wizards and the sorcerers:D

Although there is no "boring things" as such, there is a boring way to think about them. Boring a.k.a. significantly draining because in part of low mental capacity and lack of proper training :)
A good example may be the "Fifth Element" which some people have found greatly interesting while others felt it as meaningless and boring.

D&D 4E Manual of Planes states that "Gravity works normally on the vast majority of
planes." Having found no evidense that it is not so upon the Erebus, i assume that Erebus has "normal gravity", "It acts as one would expect in the mortal world".
According to the around-normal-gravity physical laws, any surface ruins shall be swept away and buried after world-wide glacial thawing. As Erebus is a flat world then, as there is a mentioned day-night cycle it has a pseudo-equatorial zone lying at the base of perpendiculars erected from the surface towards the sun's trajectory where glaciers might not had covered the surface completely. But high temperature/moisture vegetation destroys any ruins almost as effectively as morena so it makes no fundamental difference, except that in this jungle zone ruins at the time of ancient game start buried not so deep and may be occasionally partially noticeable.
Oh! and here comes another implication: civs containing beings who existed before the Age of Ice might remember the exact locations of those ruins while others, relying only upon the half-forgotten stories, are not.
Dont be so shy with me:cool:

This is not DnD. It never shall be DnD.

Erebus is about as closely related to DnD as you are to any random lizard. Yes, you're both animals. Given enough time, you can find a common ancestor. That's about it.

I've been over this before. I do not care whatsoever how things are done in other fantasy games, books, whatever. They are not Erebus.

Truth is, i believe some people find my spam- and troll- posts quite funny (one of them even added me as a friend for that exact reason). I also believe that you aware of medieval role of "court jester" which i am sincerelly trying to fill. And my comparisons are not pointless by the definition as they do/I] point to other games, mythos, etc, some of which are possibly of more interest to some people than FfH itself. As it's audience consists as i presume mainly of teenagers who might have not yet found those sources on their own, thus i believe myself to be of public service.
And also are you saying that irony and sarcasm are not acceptable on these forums?

Another notion is that in D&D primary spellcaster skill "concentration" is countered by "taunt".

I do not care if some find it 'funny'. Some also find dead babies funny. That does not make it acceptable to post images of such on any random forum you wish.

There is a right way to do things, and a wrong way. Learn the difference, or do not post. :)

With the amount of mass that fire posseses it would have to be going at an appreciable fraction of the speed of light to contain enough kinetic potential(Force) to do what that jet of water does. Which means you'd not -see- it as a ball of flame.

Unless, of course, you accept that in a universe rife with magic, certain aspect of physical laws can be circumvented, such as the apparent mass of an object. Which is determined by gravity. Which doesn't function in the same way as it does on Terra 'cause otherwise a 30 ton lizard would not be able to fly.

Top Bottom