"....and it proves that Heinlein was a prophet."

He was an anarchist with a military career. Very strange combination.

J

I mean, the impression I get is that Heinlein would have told you he believed that an anarchistic society would be motivated and characterized by the kind of brotherhood and one-for-all, all-for-one mentality that exists in the military. I'm not even sure he's wrong, but I find this a really suspect assertion for numerous reasons.

What was creepy about it?

The nudity. And the ending.
I read it in 2003 and my memory isn't that god either, but I do remember thinking 'what a weirdo'.

I definitely remember thinking that the author is a bit out there. But I thought the same thing about Arthur C. Clarke and his portrayals of an 80 year old man having sexual intercourse with an 8 year old... or whatever the hell the age difference was in RAMA. It was something like that. I found it quite a bit unnerving in the way it was brought up and discussed. Some of the passages Isaac Asimov has written involving sex and gender evoked similar responses from me, although I can't really remember at all what he wrote about and why I found it .. odd.

Stranger in a Strange land on the other hand didn't evoke those sorts of response from me. I just remember it being about a person who doesn't belong and has completely different views on sexuality and just about anything you can imagine. Like I said I can't remember many of the details, but it's probably the reason I don't remember thinking it to be too odd - that was sort of the premise of the book to begin with. Meanwhile RAMA was a story about a bunch of astronauts exploring a giant spaceship type thing. You don't expect creepy sex stuff to show up there, so it weirds you out more when it shows up.

Does science fiction predict the future or does the future seek to emulate the art of its past?
Good science fiction tries to extrapolate a plausible future based on present knowledge and playing the "what if" scenario. That's why Bova's Grand Tour/Asteroid Wars series is so good, not only for the science angle, but also the social background he gave his characters. It's also why Margaret Atwood's novel The Handmaid's Tale is so unsettling. There is absolutely nothing in that novel that couldn't happen if, for example, the Tea Party were to take over in the U.S. Now it's obvious that the character of Serena Joy was based on Tammy Faye Bakker, but she could just as easily be any number of right-wing fundamentalist women currently in the public spotlight, pushing religious fundamentalism and how a woman's place is really in the home, having babies and supporting her husband, and adhering to the right brand of Christianity.

As for emulating the art of the past... well, we have some kind of Star Trek communicator now - though obviously smart phones are still not quite smart enough to allow us to be beamed up to the International Space Station. We don't have replicators or transporters or holodecks, but those things are being worked on.

Hmmm, are we sure Heinlein wrote this? Doesn't sound like it has enough libertarian erotica to be one of his.
His earlier works didn't have as much creepy-incest kind of stuff. Most of his earlier novels were straightforward adventure stories (albeit with some characters standing in for Heinlein in making sure the reader knew his political stance at the time the book was published), and his short stories explored some interesting themes. One of them is a rather famous story called "Life-Line" in which a man invents a machine that can tell to the minute when a person will die. When the machine is proven to be 100% reliable, the life/health insurance industries collapse.

I remember reading the story referenced by the OP. It's in the anthology The Menace From Earth.

Stranger in a Strange Land was an eye opening book that I would recommend to anyone. No idea of Heinlein was creepy, but he was definitely an interesting guy with interesting ideas. I wish I could write half as well as him.
Interesting thing about that novel: The version we're all familiar with is not the version Heinlein wanted to publish. There's another edition now, that finally was published (it was considered too risque and edgy even for the "New Wave" SF of the 1960s).

The character of Jubal Harshaw was eventually incorporated into the Lazarus Long series (also as a minor character).

I think that speaks more about the class and the sorts of people who were in it moreso than the quality of the book, really, imo.

I don't read science fiction as a prediction of the future. I read it to hear interesting stories about interesting characters. That's why the book appealed to me, even if parts of it are a bit odd and socially and culturally it might now be a bit behind the times in some ways.
Well, a lot of the science in the earlier Heinlein novels is definitely out of date. Space Cadet was one of my favorite Heinlein novels for a long time, but now that we know what Venus is really like, it's a bit hard to get through that part of the book that takes place there. And so many Heinlein stories are situated on colonies on Jupiter's moons... which was fine for that time, but now that we've sent probes out there and have photographic and other evidence for what those places are really like, there aren't going to be any farming colonies on Ganymede.

Citizen of the Galaxy might still be okay, though; it's been ages since I read it but since most of it takes place out of the solar system, maybe current science hasn't caught up to it yet.

Really ? You read Stranger in a Strange Land and you didn't get the feeling that it was written by a creepy dude ?
It's the first and only Heinlein book I read, and it didn't leave me with a desire to read more of his work.
Some of his short stories are definitely worth the time to read. They're not all "creepy". Remember that his career lasted for decades and he was married at least twice. The stuff that bothered me most was in the later Lazarus Long books - in particular, Time Enough For Love and To Sail Beyond the Sunset. Damn creepy stuff in those books, with Lazarus Long and his mother, Maureen.

But the Heinlein book I can recommend is The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress. There's nothing I'd consider creepy in that.

I definitely remember thinking that the author is a bit out there. But I thought the same thing about Arthur C. Clarke and his portrayals of an 80 year old man having sexual intercourse with an 8 year old... or whatever the hell the age difference was in RAMA. It was something like that. I found it quite a bit unnerving in the way it was brought up and discussed. Some of the passages Isaac Asimov has written involving sex and gender evoked similar responses from me, although I can't really remember at all what he wrote about and why I found it .. odd.

Stranger in a Strange land on the other hand didn't evoke those sorts of response from me. I just remember it being about a person who doesn't belong and has completely different views on sexuality and just about anything you can imagine. Like I said I can't remember many of the details, but it's probably the reason I don't remember thinking it to be too odd - that was sort of the premise of the book to begin with. Meanwhile RAMA was a story about a bunch of astronauts exploring a giant spaceship type thing. You don't expect creepy sex stuff to show up there, so it weirds you out more when it shows up.
There was one aspect of Asimov that was, in his own words, a "dirty old man" - some of the things he wrote were rather off-color, but that didn't extend to either his science fiction or his essays. If you ever want to tackle some quite literally heavy reading, Asimov's autobiography takes up three large volumes. Of course most of it has to do with his writing and how it took years for him to become confident enough of his ability to earn a living writing, to quit his day job (which was teaching chemistry in a university), but he's fairly candid about his own failings in some aspects of his life, as well.

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress is indeed Heinlein's manifesto. All his political thinking is laid out, alongside much of his social thinking.

The final lesson is might makes right. Funny that.

J

But the Heinlein book I can recommend is The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress. There's nothing I'd consider creepy in that.

That is my favorite of his works too, but I would still consider it at least a little creepy for a 16 year old girl to join as another wife in the group marriage that raised her. Sure, her actual biological parents were both dead by that time, but I believe she still wound up having sex with men who changed her diapers as an infant. She is not a major character though, so it is much easier to overlook this ephebophilia than the rampant hebephilia in some of his other works.

Could Heinlein have imagined this in the '50s:
Women bleed onto their white trousers to protest tampon tax outside Houses of Parliament

"CONTENT WARNING: BLOOD," reads the first line of a Facebook post by self-proclaimed "queer Riot Grrrl" Charlie Edge.

Edge stood outside the Houses of Parliament on a dreary Saturday morning, brandishing placards in protest of the "luxury" tax on tampons.

Edge, timed the action to coincide with her period and forwent those luxurious sanitary towels and tampons, instead letting her menstrual blood seep into the fabric of her white trousers.
How quickly would we get free tampons if everyone stopped wearing them?

Her Facebook post calls out the five per cent tax rate on sanitary products, saying: "They're not luxury items, anymore than jaffa cakes, edible cake decorations, exotic meats or any other number of things currently not taxed as luxury items."

(Continued)
http://i100.independent.co.uk/artic...tax-outside-houses-of-parliament--ZJQAXrS3yKe
Debated and debated posting this, it does fit with Heinlein's tale theme.

:sick:

I agree; taxing tampons as a luxury item is pretty sick.

But definitely a pretty rad stunt.

15 minutes of fame etc.

15 minutes of stain

:thumbsup:

:rolleyes:

We had that issue here, too, as women were not pleased at having to pay GST/HST all these years. I don't know what happened with the HST (Alberta doesn't have a provincial sales tax), but there's no GST on those items now.

Look, you can either have a martial culture where men are clean-shaven and close-cropped and women dutifully, silently obey and then go to chew on the proverbial cud while shepherding the brood or you can have a free and open, modern society. If you spend too much time waxing nostalgic for the trappings of the former, you're never gonna have the latter.

Heinlein was a creepy guy. No love lost.

Finally, a sensible opinion. :clap:

I fear you may be drowned in the inanity.

Look, you can either have a martial culture where men are clean-shaven and close-cropped and women dutifully, silently obey and then go to chew on the proverbial cud while shepherding the brood or you can have a free and open, modern society. If you spend too much time waxing nostalgic for the trappings of the former, you're never gonna have the latter.

Heinlein was a creepy guy. No love lost.
Why is there no middle ground?

What's a middle ground look like?

In rough ground, press on.
In surrounded ground, devise strategems.
In deadly ground, fight.

Book of Five Rings

Nothing about middle ground. Would the correct action be dither?

J

My hair is only about a quarter inch in length but I'm ready willing and able as regards the Wubba Wubba Wubba.

He had some damn good books, but was quite judgmental and somewhat arbitrary about it as well.

One of his Martian books I can't remember the title of was also about a rebellion from Earth, not dissimilar to Harsh Mistress, and when the rebels were organizing, a leader said "best keep the guns away from the long-haired men and short-haired women" to wide approval. Pretty much all of his works were also misogynistic to varying but not insignificant degrees, with the exception of Friday, but that was published in the 80s IIRC.

Knowing his military background helps understand his thought process quite a bit.

Top Bottom