AND2 and SVN Bug Reports - A New Dawn 2 ONLY

What do you mean it does not work? From that screenshot I can't tell but it looks fine to me. Once you pay war reparations, attitude of the other AI player toward you will improve. Doesn't it work like that anymore?
Once you accept the trade (like the one in screenshot) no relations with AI changes and none of the resources get handed over. So nothing happens after clicking "We accept your offer"

Well, it may work as intended but you have to admit, that seeing everything on one side is confusing as hell. One would expect the offender side offering gold and resources and in exchange the offended side offers "Forgiveness".
Perhaps it could be moved to the other side and change the text to something like "Forgive past deeds" or "Improve relationship" and the hover text would say "You pay war reparations."

There's actually a tooltip telling you that if you offer Pay War Reparations, you'll get some improvement in relations, so it looks clear enough to me. Moving it to the other side would be pretty confusing as it's the aggressor which should pay war reparations and offer something else. In my view, the tooltip is enough and self explaining. But I understand that it's something that's been a bit lost in the years since it was introduced by Afforess a long time ago and I think it's very rarely used.

Once you accept the trade (like the one in screenshot) no relations with AI changes and none of the resources get handed over. So nothing happens after clicking "We accept your offer"
Uhm, now that's strange. I'll have to look at it since that part of the code was working IIRC and was never changed after Afforess added the code years ago

Hi everyone,
There is a game we've been playing for a very long time with a friend, on and off. It's in Hot-seat mode and we use the newest AND with the mega civ pack.
Everything was going great, and as you'd expect we've grown quite attached to the map and the story of the game. Unfortunately after reaching a certain turn there is a Volcano event and the game breaks afterwards. Still runs for a few turns, but can no longer be saved (fails to compress) and crashes after.
The game had no issues up to the point of the Volcano popup. I have tried everything I could think of: Auto Exploration, different moves, going back to an even earlier save, and nothing. The pop-up comes, after which auto-cycle no longer works. Trying to save the game gives a 'failed to compress' error. I'm still able to end the turn a couple of times but it then crashes, and no save works (including auto save) as none of the solutions worked I expected the event to be the game breaker.
I tried changing moves, loading an earlier game and all the like but no do. So with a heavy heart we mourned our game.

I did decide to dig it up again and might have found a solution.
Retiring one human player caused the event to occur without any hiccups. This made me hopeful again, so using the same player I chose AI auto play for 2 turns without automation. Strangely the popup didn't occur and as far as I could tell the game runs smooth as butter again. My joy of being able to continue the story is however overshadowed by the confusion as to how I got it fixed.
So please, someone wiser than my humble self explain what's going on.

(Unrelated second question: Are OOS errors still an issue or is there a stable way to play online?)

Attachments

• Ragnar AD-1457-Winter Safety 2, needs fixing.CivBeyondSwordSave
    5.4 MB · Views: 17
  • Civ IV_ Beyond The Sword 2022. 08. 09. 14_10_35 (2).png
    Civ IV_ Beyond The Sword 2022. 08. 09. 14_10_35 (2).png
    112.7 KB · Views: 85
Hi everyone,
There is a game we've been playing for a very long time with a friend, on and off. It's in Hot-seat mode and we use the newest AND with the mega civ pack.
Everything was going great, and as you'd expect we've grown quite attached to the map and the story of the game. Unfortunately after reaching a certain turn there is a Volcano event and the game breaks afterwards. Still runs for a few turns, but can no longer be saved (fails to compress) and crashes after.
The game had no issues up to the point of the Volcano popup. I have tried everything I could think of: Auto Exploration, different moves, going back to an even earlier save, and nothing. The pop-up comes, after which auto-cycle no longer works. Trying to save the game gives a 'failed to compress' error. I'm still able to end the turn a couple of times but it then crashes, and no save works (including auto save) as none of the solutions worked I expected the event to be the game breaker.
I tried changing moves, loading an earlier game and all the like but no do. So with a heavy heart we mourned our game.

I did decide to dig it up again and might have found a solution.
Retiring one human player caused the event to occur without any hiccups. This made me hopeful again, so using the same player I chose AI auto play for 2 turns without automation. Strangely the popup didn't occur and as far as I could tell the game runs smooth as butter again. My joy of being able to continue the story is however overshadowed by the confusion as to how I got it fixed.
So please, someone wiser than my humble self explain what's going on.

(Unrelated second question: Are OOS errors still an issue or is there a stable way to play online?)

I almost never played hotseat so I can't say the Volcano event is not responsible for the savegame problem being 100% sure. It look strange to me but it might be caused by popups now showing for both players but only for the first one. It's a long time I haven't touched that part of the code so I'm not even sure I remember how it works. IIRC it was programmed in python and not hard coded in the dll; volcano event works both in single player and in LAN/Direct IP multiplayer, anyway.
And yes, MP works in LAN and Dircet IP, provided you follow my advices in the MP subforum (i.e. disabling some options and using some tricks to reload the game quickly in case of OOS - remember you cannot "hot-join", that feature doesn't work). It occasionally goes OOS but it's totally enjoyable. I'm currently playing a game with my wife and we're around turn 250/600 (blitz speed, large map) and only got 3 OOS until now. It usually gets worse when you advance through eras but it's definitlely playable. You should be extra-careful anyway in order to keep the game running smoothly, because both your and your friend's folders should be exactly the same, so I suggest you save somewhere a copy of the RAND folder you want to use for MP, so just in case you need it because the game goes frequently OOS (which might point to some difference between your folders), you can just restore the original folder for both of you. Same goes for CivilizationIV.ini: save your and your friend's copy somewhere and restore it when you want to play MP. I noticed that if I play single player between two mp sessions, sometimes the mp game gets messed up, especially if in single player I changed some options.
If you ever start playing MP in LAN/Direct IP, let me know your experience. :)

texture issue with dutch heavy swordman? see attached

Probably a faulty installation on your side. It works for me (screenshot attached). Same goes for Steamer, working perfectly here.

Attachments

• Dhs.jpg
    Dhs.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 77
Probably a faulty installation on your side. It works for me (screenshot attached). Same goes for Steamer, working perfectly here.
May be related to graphics quality, issues with the lower quality models if you drop your settings down does it replicate then? I play with everything bottomed out to save memory

Hi! @45°38'N-13°47'E

I have a question: When you added the ForbiddenCivic tag did you consider the following scenarios?

• What if an other civ demands that you switch to a civic that is currently blocked for you? Can you still accept the demand or it can't even make such a demand?
  • Changing the civic of another civ via espionage. Same issue: Can it be changed to something that is otherwise blocked?
  • When a tech is discovered there is a popup asking you if you want to switch to the new civic that otherwise may be blocked. I solved it (with help) by disabling the popup altogether.

Hi! @45°38'N-13°47'E

I have a question: When you added the ForbiddenCivic tag did you consider the following scenarios?

• What if an other civ demands that you switch to a civic that is currently blocked for you? Can you still accept the demand or it can't even make such a demand?
  • Changing the civic of another civ via espionage. Same issue: Can it be changed to something that is otherwise blocked?
  • When a tech is discovered there is a popup asking you if you want to switch to the new civic that otherwise may be blocked. I solved it (with help) by disabling the popup altogether.

I'm not 100% sure as I can't check the code right now, but I think all those are forbidden because there's a check before those parts of the code to see if forbidden Civic is usable; if it isn't, then the rest of the code (demand, espionage, etc) won't run. At least it should work so.

The paradox of paying reparations, I suppose, is that you need it to count as a "I don't want that" if the aggressor puts it on the table though a positive diplo effect to receive; or a "I covet this" if the civ itself puts it on the table, yet a nonpositive diplo effect to give up.
Can you make it so it's an anti-symmetric implied trade object? So, instead of Truce putting Truce on the other side, the "Pay reparations" puts "Accept reparations" on the other side? Then, the civ could assign a positive value to the "accept" (as value not to give up), regard negatively the "pay reparations" item (so that 'the empty offer' is strictly negatively valued), and then require the actual payments to rise to the level of grievances that the "accept" would forgive. One item would equate to the grievance or 'real damages', the other to the attitude to the other civ, resting in the aggrieved civ's sense of how much it wants to keep relations bad / keep hostilities likely anyway.

Hi I'm French

A bug prevents the game speed options from scrolling when customizing a game.

I attach the screenshot, I surrounded the buggy menu with a red frame.
I'm at 1920x1080 resolution in the game.
CE bug interface Civ 4 Rise of Mankind.png

Sorry, I couldn't find ANexDawn.log...

Thanks, Cordially

I'm not 100% sure as I can't check the code right now, but I think all those are forbidden because there's a check before those parts of the code to see if forbidden Civic is usable; if it isn't, then the rest of the code (demand, espionage, etc) won't run. At least it should work so.
Okay, I did some quick tests some custom civics and things are just as you said :thumbsup:

Hi I'm French

A bug prevents the game speed options from scrolling when customizing a game.

I attach the screenshot, I surrounded the buggy menu with a red frame.
I'm at 1920x1080 resolution in the game.
View attachment 643341
Sorry, I couldn't find ANexDawn.log...

Thanks, Cordially
That's not exactly a 'bug', rather the limitation of the game. Try using the custom game option or use the arrow keys to navigate to the proper game speed of your choice

I play on a modified RoM_Donut.ру (card size 51x51) Is it normal that I have such a catastrophic drop in performance on move 203? The time to load is 1:40. Moreover, the drop is very sharp, from 20 seconds to 1:40. Started new games, but faced the same problem

Attachments

• ENAD1N 2636 BC.CivBeyondSwordSave
    2.3 MB · Views: 13
Any particular reason that the completion of the research for Ship Building causes an MAF here? I've played with the same settings before and not had this issue...is there anyway that I can edit in having the tech Ship Building and then resume the game (opening WB in game causes an MAF, and saving the WB Quick Save and opening as a scenario ruins other things)?

Attachments

• immortal.CivBeyondSwordSave
    1.7 MB · Views: 15
Hi!

I updated my game about a week ago to the latest version (the update that provided a model for the ironclad cruiser); however I had to redownload the mod from sourceforge.net because of gameplay issues related to the MegaCiv Pack. After I redownloaded the mod, the cruiser model returned to being a 'red ball'. I have no prompt on the launcher to update my game as I did last time so it remains on revision 1093. Is this a bug or will I need to wait for a later time for the opportunity to get the most recent update?

Love the mod and the work you all have put into it! Thanks!

Hi, thanks so much for trying to expand my favorite game significantly. I do have a few important comments though:
I have played about 450 rounds, I am willing to participate in debugging or balancing it.
- advanced paths do not give a production bonus at the quarry
- marble was accidentally discovered in the mine, although it is not mined in the mine but in the quarry
- I can build farms/mines in forests and jungles, even though I don't have the technology to remove jungles
- from the beginning all my cities except the main one are revolting, no matter the population, army size, government, or length of play, I still have a rebel army around destroying everything
- walls are meaningless, they have 0% effectiveness in a rebellion anyway
- stability keeps telling me I have a money problem, no matter how much I have
- Stability is a huge problem that makes it absolutely impossible to play the game
- the game balance can be adjusted by each player in the CIV4GameSpeedInfo.xml file, but I would appreciate an explanation of what each item means

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Hi!

I updated my game about a week ago to the latest version (the update that provided a model for the ironclad cruiser); however I had to redownload the mod from sourceforge.net because of gameplay issues related to the MegaCiv Pack. After I redownloaded the mod, the cruiser model returned to being a 'red ball'. I have no prompt on the launcher to update my game as I did last time so it remains on revision 1093. Is this a bug or will I need to wait for a later time for the opportunity to get the most recent update?

Love the mod and the work you all have put into it! Thanks!

Were you ever able to update? I don't know anything about the launchers or updaters. Anything I do just goes through the SVN.

You can manually download the FPK file from https://svn.code.sf.net/p/anewdawn/code/Trunk/Rise of Mankind - A New Dawn/Assets/.

Top Bottom