Anno Domini Rise of Cities edition

Anno Domini: Rise of Cities edition (latest version dated November 9th 2016) 27

@rob no need to be sorry about this, it's often out of control.

I didn't know what was the database log in first place; after a small search I did what was in this post :
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=487482

Here the log :
http://pastebin.com/BHmYP1Bw

If you could use any additional information I'm willing to get them as long as I am able to. If anybody have an idea about debugging situation like this (can't go past a point in the game), I'm also willing to listen and try. As I'd like to finish games I start especially since I play marathon.

As advised previously, other mods will likely cause issues and Anno Domini should be run without non-Anno Domini mods.

i know but the 2 mods i use worked fine in previous versions so i'm just wondering

Game crashes every time I or AI get composite bowman (even with the latest fix). I was playing Galls.
Can I somehow disable the unit so I could continue playing?

Same for the map I'm doing, during the playtests the maps start to crash very often at a certain point. As it starts in the anno extensionis I guess it could also be because of composite bowmen.

Also had a ctd when I chose the "turn them away" (something like that) option in the event when mercenaries are offering services. It happened only once, other times the event was working fine.

OK, I spent some time testing and I think the problem is in "Archer_England.fxsxml". Because when I changed it for Galls in "GallicUnits.sql" to "Archer_German.fxsxml" - everything went alright.
As I understood not only Galls are linked to that Archer_England model. So as it worked for me, I just deleted Art/Units/Archer_England folder, dublicated Archer_German folder and renamed it and all the files inside from German to England. Now it should work not only for Galls but also for other Civs that are using this model. Of course it's only temporary fix, but the mod is so interesting I couldnt wait longer.

The patch in the op corrects the issue with the composite bowman/English archer.
First of all i wanna thank you for your great work on this mod, its amazing mod and i have plenty of pleasure playing it, GREAT WORK !

But your patch does not correct the issue with bowmans, had same problem, game crash after AI reaches bowmans, tried your patch(deleted game cashe, installed your patch) nothing happend, game was still crashing.

The Solution for me was to change Archer_England and Composite_Bowman_England, with same folders of german and rename it to England. Strange but if i change only Composite_Bowman_England to german game still crash, so maybe problem is with Archer and Bowman together.

Anyway, im gald i can continue play my save, once again thank you for your GREAT WORK

Hey Rob,

Your mod looks very promising, and I just registered cause I have a problem with it.

I've been starting a few games of it, with allother mods disabled, but I couldn't see any luxury or strategic resource on the map. At first, I thought they would get revealed with techs, but that wasn't the case.

Just to be sure, I started a few games with IGE enabled, just to reveal the map. Only once were there any resources, and yet they were quite scarce.

Started a non Anno Domini game after that, and everything was perfectly fine.

I was using random map type, standard size. Sorry if this issue has been adressed earlier in the thread, I didn't go through it all.

First of all i wanna thank you for your great work on this mod, its amazing mod and i have plenty of pleasure playing it, GREAT WORK !

But your patch does not correct the issue with bowmans, had same problem, game crash after AI reaches bowmans, tried your patch(deleted game cashe, installed your patch) nothing happend, game was still crashing.

The Solution for me was to change Archer_England and Composite_Bowman_England, with same folders of german and rename it to England. Strange but if i change only Composite_Bowman_England to german game still crash, so maybe problem is with Archer and Bowman together.

Anyway, im gald i can continue play my save, once again thank you for your GREAT WORK
It should work (and did for me). Perhaps you need to take a more manual approach and delete the English archer folder from the art files and replace them with those in the patch.

Hey Rob,

Your mod looks very promising, and I just registered cause I have a problem with it.

I've been starting a few games of it, with allother mods disabled, but I couldn't see any luxury or strategic resource on the map. At first, I thought they would get revealed with techs, but that wasn't the case.

Just to be sure, I started a few games with IGE enabled, just to reveal the map. Only once were there any resources, and yet they were quite scarce.

Started a non Anno Domini game after that, and everything was perfectly fine.

I was using random map type, standard size. Sorry if this issue has been adressed earlier in the thread, I didn't go through it all.
I'm sure someone had a fix for that on the comments on Steam (which I'm having problems loading right now). I'll try to find them (if I've not imagined them!) and report back.

EDIT: The person on Steam unsubscribed from all mods and then resubscribed to the Anno Domini elements, then did have resources on the map. Why they needed to go to such lengths, I don't know.

Thanks for the quick answer, I'll try that.

Edit : It didn't work. I unsuscribed to every mod I could (including Anno Domini), deleted the others, and only re-installed Anno Domini and IGE (to make sure those resources weren't there, and they still aren't).

@zalbag

Please check the game version you are using. I was using a v276 instead of v279, and I had the same problem until I re downloaded the whole game.

The patch in the op corrects the issue with the composite bowman/English archer.
As I said before I still had the problem even with the latest patch from the op :(
Although I managed to fix it in my own way, maybe I am not the only one who still has the problem.

Update : If I do the trick of Keizik (removing england archer & replace by german version) I can keep playing my save.

I'm using your last version & last patch. Doing this did fixed the problem.

Problem: I can't choose production with any civ = can't get to next turn so I get stuck on turn 0 every game. Previous problems was lack of some art files and then civ5 shut by black screen. I first installed it with the modpackfile and now by steam.

There's a ton of effort put into the tech tree. How did you decide how to design it? A lot of it is clearly a-historical. You didn't even fix the errors in the base game. I didn't come here to badmouth you though.

First, some of your technologies seem either too specific or redundant. Many of them seem chronologically in the wrong place.
Your definition of "basic tools" is my first question, in order of tech research. Basic tools have been used for at least a million years, and certainly before the first settled communities. Ritual and Mythology very likely predate any form of society by thousands of years- the earliest structure known to have been built is at Gobekli Tepe, some parts being close to 14000 years old and clearly intended for symbolic meaning. This structure predates any form of city, village or settlement by many thousand years, so it shows that these things were a big part of our ancient culture. Water Deities seems overly specific for a tech. If you want to lock the shrine up in it, I would say you'd be better off calling it something like Deities. Something more general than specifically oceanic beings. Burial too seems out of place. Ceremonial burial is known to have been practiced by Neanderthals, and likely arose as a practice to avoid bodies being desiccated by scavengers. Pottery was largely invented as a means to preserve stores of grain for cities, as in Mesopotamia. Pottery was likely known earlier, but in a crude form that was not practiced or perfected until this need arose. Mining is fine I think so far, although the first miners likely developed the skill while using bone and antler based hoes for tilling the ground, so the fact that we haven't come across "agriculture" (the basic requirement for settlement of any sort unless you count Catal Huyuk, but that is an isolate and a bad example for an actual city) is unsettling. Here we find agriculture, but I've already talked about that. Optics is dissapointing. True optic devices weren't invented for many centuries. It's a mistake Firaxis never corrected and I'm sad to see it in your game as well. Cuneiform is a primitive form of writing. It evolved over time and was only used in Mesopotamia, so having it as a technology is ridiculous. It is no less valid than any other alphabet, so having it as a separate precursor to writing is a bit silly. Sheep farming is also too specific. For any region without sheep it's a bit ridiculous to have to research it. You've now also placed "tribal council" after bronze working and masonry. Those techs clearly define our level of development in the "city" category, so the idea of calling it a tribe is odd. Crop rotation feels fishy, but I'm not an expert in that so I won't say it's necessarily wrong. Ivory carving- how is that a technology? What if you don't have ivory? On the grand scale of things, I don't think it should have any weight, especially as being fundamental to the advancement of technology. Seafaring. How is this drastically different from sailing? Weaving is much, much older than anything you have contemporary with it. If Epic Works is the technology of massive monument building, why are there wonders we've built before it? Dyes is not a technology. That is a commodity. Mineral and organic pigments have been known for at least 30 000 years. Administration is a vital task for any large population, any urban centre requires administration, as was present in Mesopotamia. Religion is a rather arbitrary technology as well. Many cultures had complex histories of their gods and deities for thousands of years. Their cultures aren't necessarily any less codified or defined than modern religions, so saying a religion is a technology that requires literature is odd. Tactics is not a technology, that's a tool that's been used since the first wars were fought. You're not implying war until this point involved throwing troops into a meat grinder until everyone was dead, are you? Medicine is much more ancient than this. Steel certainly doesn't require mobility, it requires advanced iron working processes such as mechanized bellows and blast furnaces. Bowmanship is not a technology. Pig farming is not a technology, I talked about this with sheep. Urbanism is not a technology. Metal Casting was used before bronze with copper, and most bronze and copper artifacts were cast into shape. Roman roads is just ridiculous, that's specifically Roman. Same with Danelaw.

The vast majority of your tech tree is painful to me. I feel like I got more and more upset as I wrote this. It's your mod and you can do what you like, the number of pages here seems to say it's popular but I wish you'd tried a bit harder with the design :/

Hi dunkleosteus, I am astounded by those comments for a mod I have been working on for years. You have to understand that this is a game; as such, compromises have to be made to actually make it playable. It's a shame that you didn't make any suggestions to how I could have changed the mod; you merely criticise a number of choices for techs that I've made.

I'm sorry that you got more and more upset as you wrote your comments, but I think you're reflecting too much on whether or not certain things should or shouldn't be a technology. I could counter argue that, for example, there is a certain skill to ivory carving, pig farming, sheep farming and the like and those technologies reflect societies doing these activities with some degree of aptitude.

@FramedArchitect: you created the Health and Plague element for the mod, as well as the reforestation and Greatest cities elements; you also assisted me with some of the lua. You totally deserve to be in there!

Finally downloaded the steam iteration of your mod. Dipping my toe in to play it. Was looking at the most interesting (to me) civilizations (enemies of Rome, the Briton civs, Dark Ages).

Just wondering, where is Rome? Did I do something wrong in choosing the mod components to use? I want to set up a Julius Caesar type conquest of Gaul and Britain scenario but I lack Rome itself.

Did I miss something?

Top Bottom