AntiAmericanism

jafink

King
I am a 15 year old boy who lives in Ontario (Canada), and im disgusted with what a large majority of kids my age think about Americans. First of all many kids who have never been to the U.S.A. think that all Americans are guncrazy lazy slobs who don't care about the rest of the world. Now from my several trips to different parts of the States, i know this is not true. The Americans i have met have been socially similar to Canadians. They are just as friendly.

Just because you don't agree with their president or there government doesn't mean all Americans are idiots. It bugs me because the kids who say anti- American things are the ones who are to naive to listen to someone elses opinion.

If anyone else out their is tried of antiAmericanism, I know how you feel.

Those kind of peopel are the same peopel who hate the French, or say stupid things like America should bomb Iran into the stone age.

Just a bunch of prejudicial pigs.

Heheh I went through this having-to-put-up with Anti-Americanism thing when I went to middle school. It was a British school and there was only me and another person that were American citizens. We'd do all this stupid stuff like "Who has the Tower of London HMMMM???" and "Who has the Statue of Liberty HMMMM???" as if they were big deals. Haha those were crazy times. The last zinger that I heard about America was after the Lewinsky deal and one of the teachers was introducing a political class for our Form 6 education and instead of refering to the Oval Office, he freuded "Oral Office" and everyone had a good laugh.

Oh man I can't possibly imagine how bad it probably has gotten since George Bush Jr came into office.

Considering how intertwined the US and Canada are it's a bit silly to hate it so much. But It is probably an easy crutch, and hating others is a form of social bonding remember.

All very good points. I have to agree with what kayak said. alot of the AntiAmerican kids are also the one who are "socially challengened" so they say hateful things about others hoping that the other kids will think they are funny or smart.

It'll probably all blow over once Bush steps down as President and assuming the next guy in line doesn't try and do anything crazy.

jafink said:
Just because you don't agree with their president or there government doesn't mean all Americans are idiots

Sadly, George W represents America, and his actions reflect American society. That doesn't mean that he is America, but someone said it best when they said that the actions of an elected leader may lead some to hate him/her, some of those to hate his/her party, and few to hate their society in general.

Take the Ariel Sharon as an example. If he were to do (when he was the elected leader of Israel) something terrible (in the eyes of the world)

1. Most people's opinion of him would drop.

2. Some people's opinion of Israel would drop.

3. A few people's opinion of Jews in general would drop.

It's sadly how the world functions.

For any civilization (still the buzz word around), antiamericanism is a demonstration of pure idiocy, IMO and ITPOH (lol, it would mean : In The Point Of History :)).
The reason young people get a terrible image about the united states is because adults around the world have a bad image of the united states because of it's recent behaviours.
This is very sad. Wait a few years and what we like/love about the US will come back. You'll be a 20 year old Canadian, how lucky you are. ;)

superisis said:
Sadly, George W represents America, and his actions reflect American society. That doesn't mean that he is America, but someone said it best when they said that the actions of an elected leader may lead some to hate him/her, some of those to hate his/her party, and few to hate their society in general.

Fortunately, more and more Canadians are beginning to realise this. Opinion of America up here was much higher when Clinton was President mind you.

Of course, it's not like there's no anti-Canada sentiment in the USA either.

I would like to challenge anyone to name a coutnry where the population's attitude is more pro-American than Canada (possible exception, Israel).

I dunno, Taiwan?

No not everyone in america....just the 51% who re-elected the trained chimp.

Socially chalanged eh? XD
Now those kids are just plain ******s....talkin politics hopin to be playas XD

Cleric said:
No not everyone in america....just the 51% who re-elected the trained chimp.

Socially chalanged eh? XD
Now those kids are just plain ******s....talkin politics hopin to be playas XD

Just for clarification, only 28% of those over 18 years of age voted for Bush in 2004.

Riesstiu IV said:
It'll probably all blow over once Bush steps down as President and assuming the next guy in line doesn't try and do anything crazy.
NO it will blow over once the US stops being the center of attention. Have you heard a Polak joke since the fall of communism? Not likely. Why? Cause they arent the ones you want to pick on any more. Now it is America, soon, who knows. MAybe China or the EU.

jafink said:
Just because you don't agree with their president or there government doesn't mean all Americans are idiots. It bugs me because the kids who say anti- American things are the ones who are to naive to listen to someone elses opinion.
The only reason you should hate us is because of our food portion sizes ;)

Anyways, I've been to Canada. Not much a difference, except for more social and, surprisingly, even the Quebecois liked us. I especially liked the sugar cubes they gave us at restaraunts after a meal. I could never go back to mints again! :crazyeye:

**EDITED** (Bad typo)

Neomega said:
Just for clarification, only 28% of those over 18 years of age voted for Bush in 2004.
But only 27% of those over 18 years of age voted against him in 2004.

I am the Future said:
NO it will blow over once the US stops being the center of attention. Have you heard a Polak joke since the fall of communism? Not likely. Why? Cause they arent the ones you want to pick on any more. Now it is America, soon, who knows. MAybe China or the EU.

Correction: It will never blow over.

Neomega said:

Still my eyes bleed.

jafink said:
I am a 15 year old boy who lives in Ontario (Canada), and im disgusted with what a large majority of kids my age think about Americans. First of all many kids who have never been to the U.S.A. think that all Americans are guncrazy lazy slobs who don't care about the rest of the world. Now from my several trips to different parts of the States, i know this is not true. The Americans i have met have been socially similar to Canadians. They are just as friendly.

If anyone else out their is tried of antiAmericanism, I know how you feel.

My sentiments EXACTLY. When I was at Carleton University in Ottawa, I used to love wearing a shirt with the American Flag on it, becasue of the absolutly vile looks people gave me. I remember one of the librarians asking me about "didn't I think I was making a bold statement with that T-shirt?" - your damn right I was making a statment, about her prejudice!

Then when I decided to move here to the US, i was the recipient of some rather unpleasant comments from people I thought were good friends of mine. Even today they still ask me why I don't move back, and how I couldn't possibly like it here more.

Top Bottom