ANZAC Day 2010: Lest We Forget

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dale

Mohawk Games Developer
I still don't get why we celebrate a failed campaign.

It's not a celebration of a failed campaign, but a commemoration to remember the sacrifice that the ANZACs made to ensure our freedoms today.

Happy Losing to the Ottoman Empire in a fruitless imperialistic war of aggression driven by capitalist elites day!

Moderator Action: Trolling.

It's not a celebration of a failed campaign, but a commemoration to remember the sacrifice that the ANZACs made to ensure our freedoms today.

Except the whole defending our freedom argument doesn't stack up because we were invading Turkey.

Meh, I still gets me a day off, I don't mind.

I still don't get why we celebrate a failed campaign.
Its quite simple really. Aussies have participated in what 2-3 battles in their entire history ? So you celebrate them regardless of the outcome.

ANZAC day isn't Gallipoli day.

North Africa
Italy
France
Belgium
Korea
Vietnam

And the Band played Waltzing Matilda :salute:

A quick look at the article he linked to shows that, like Memorial Day, ANZAC Day initially celebrated just one particular campaign or battle, but was later expanded to honor all those who died in all military campaigns under ANZAC. Just like Memorial Day originally honored those who died in the Civil War, but now honors all those who have died in United States service, regardless of conflict.

Here's to your heroes! :)

Happy Losing to the Ottoman Empire in a fruitless imperialistic war of aggression driven by capitalist elites day!

Just like your Vietnam then. ;)

A quick look at the article he linked to shows that, like Memorial Day, ANZAC Day initially celebrated just one particular campaign or battle, but was later expanded to honor all those who died in all military campaigns under ANZAC. Just like Memorial Day originally honored those who died in the Civil War, but now honors all those who have died in United States service, regardless of conflict.

Here's to your heroes! :)

And yes, ANZAC day remembers ALL battles that Aussies have lost their lives in, including WW1, WW2, Korea, Vietnam, Afghanistan, Iraq and peace-keeping missions. It's no longer about Gallipoli alone, but all of Australia's forces.

Just like your Vietnam then. ;)

America doesn't have her Veteran's Day or Memorial Day on the first day of a failed campaign, or anything to do with the Vietnam War.

She also didn't lose the first battle she ever fought in.

USA #1

And yes, ANZAC day remembers ALL battles that Aussies have lost their lives in, including WW1, WW2, Korea, Vietnam, Afghanistan, Iraq and peace-keeping missions. It's no longer about Gallipoli alone, but all of Australia's forces.

I thought that was what Remembrance Day was for.

America doesn't have her Veteran's Day or Memorial Day on the first day of a failed campaign, or anything to do with the Vietnam War.

She also didn't lose the first battle she ever fought in.

USA #1

We beat the aborigines.

I thought that was what Remembrance Day was for.

We split our war commemmoration - marches, dawn services and public holiday on Anzac Day, and nationwide minute silence and poppy wearing on Remembrance Day.

We beat the aborigines.

Spearman vs Tank is somewhat different IRL. ;)

Personally I think we should make Remembrance Day the public holiday and do everything then.

Unless it would affect the Anzac Day matches between Collingwood and Essendon, in which case things can stay the same.

Personally I think we should make Remembrance Day the public holiday and do everything then.

Unless it would affect the Anzac Day matches between Collingwood and Essendon, in which case things can stay the same.

I think we should make Remembrance Day another public holiday and keep Anzac Day. ;)

Remembrance Day celebrates armistice to end World War 1. ANZAC Day commemorates the sacrifice of Aussie diggers during all wars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom