[NFP] April Update Video

Some sort of a strange continent? An elephant pin? Give me a turtle and a Terry Pratchett quote in this vid and you're going to make me think that Firaxis is working on a Disc World strategy game :mischief:
upload_2021-4-12_19-29-4.png

I'd have loved something which didn't require builders as Canada still will suffer from occasional extremely slow starts. But I do like the changes and I guess they didn't want an automatic buff in order to differentiate them from Russia?

I agree, but I think it's important to realize just how unique Canada's build order is. With the AI super unlikely to denounce and then formal war you, you can get away with ignoring building an army; I'd absolutely substitute a few slingers for an early builder or two. You still need to scout, as you'll be fairly isolated, but it's not like you have to settle anywhere else immediately to prevent the AI from doing so. With new Canada, you can stay in the tundra and build strong cities, whereas previously Canada needed to immediately find some way to leave.

But regarding their differentiation with Russia, maybe I don't play them right, but I always found them to have a really slow start no matter what. Even if they're not in tundra, there just doesn't seem to be much production or growth potential. Russia seems to be the civ to settle wide, whereas Canada is clearly the tall version of them now. Of course Russia has the Lavra which solves a lot of these problems, but that requires a lot of extra synergy with beliefs that Canada doesn't need to worry about.

This look like an awesome update!
I'm really eager to see the solved bugs :)

Whoever is coming up with phrasing used in the videos over the last couple of months really needs to become a lawyer because they are great with the weasel words.
:lol: they are probably intentionnally playing with us and it works

LINE INFANTRY!!! I've been pining for a unit between Musketmen and Infantry. I know that's a weird thing to focus on, but this pleases me to no end. Also, I'll gladly take Men-at-Arms. The gap between Swordsmen and Musketmen was also a bit odd. And a trebuchet too? Thanks, Firaxis!
not weird at all, those units are awesome additions!

Yes, I definitely want a zoom and enhance on whatever that is off the western coast of Africa
Since GS, if you emit too much CO2 (specially with coal), it creates a garbage-plastic continent that falls into the water and makes the rest of the water in the world go higher. Wait, I'm the only one with that feature? :D

Random question for either @charrison, @FXS_MisterKevin, or @Andrew Johnson [FXS]: Why is there no April Update Video on the official Channel?
yes, thanks, I was wondering too, why is the video on 2K UK and not on https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWj7XnnfbKHGVnZ8iSoETSQ ? Is it to make us subscribe to more channels? :D it's going to work!

There's also the Sabum Kibittum, Crouching Tiger, Keshig, Malon Raider, Varu, etc.
I mean unique units at the start of their line are not really relevant for this discussion though, the main difference between a standalone unique and a regular unique is whether or not you can pre-build and upgrade into them, otherwise, two types are the same for strategic purposes.

I guess this depends on the map you play. If you are at a naval map this could be a nice bonus for domination. You can rush frigates and dont need to spend too much time in the lower techtree to get some good units to fight on islands/other continents.

Eh, most domination civs are land based though so this is a major detour to pick up just one unit when everything is on the lower part of the tech tree.

Summary of the changes to Spain’s trade route bonus:
Before, same continent trade
Domestic: base yield
Foreign: base yield

Before, different continents
Domestic: base, +1 food, +1 production
Foreign: base, +6 gold

Now, same continent
Domestic: base, +3 gold, +2 faith, +1 production
Foreign: base, +3 gold, +2 faith, +1 production

Now, different continents
Domestic: base, +9 gold, +6 faith, +3 production
Foreign: base, +9 gold, +6 faith, +3 production

It’s hard to overstate how much of an improvement this is

For those who were expecting more unique abilities for their beloved civs:

Creating a brand new ability more often than not requires a new ModifierType added to the game database (read: C++ code). And C++ programmers are probably working on new content (or even game) right now. Also, modifier game core is a much bigger hassle and may hurt game stability, so personally I'm fine with devs avoiding that for the upcoming free update.

It seems like designers apply existing modifiers in various combinations to balance existing civs and other objects in the game, and I'm very grateful that they've spent (a LOT of) time doing that, instead of just leaving the game for modders to balance. We're going to have a completely new meta in the game provided to us by the devs via a FREE update. Not to mention 3 new units! And probably more updates to come (either minor balance tweaks, or completely new content, who knows?)

Let's get excited for what's coming April 22nd and beyond!

P.S. Congrats to Carl on becoming a game designer! if he's indeed behind some of those changes to existing civs, man, you're doing Lord's work there!

Summary of the changes to Spain’s trade route bonus:
Before, same continent trade
Domestic: base yield
Foreign: base yield

Before, different continents
Domestic: base, +1 food, +1 production
Foreign: base, +6 gold

Now, same continent
Domestic: base, +3 gold, +2 faith, +1 production
Foreign: base, +3 gold, +2 faith, +1 production

Now, different continents
Domestic: base, +9 gold, +6 faith, +3 production
Foreign: base, +9 gold, +6 faith, +3 production

It’s hard to overstate how much of an improvement this is
As another person here stated, not as good as Portugal's scaling, but far more useable now. It makes it seems like actual Treasure Fleets are bringing the riches of the New World to Spain.

Sorry but I don't war monger as Georgia and like them as a diplo victory civ so the ability is basically useless once Barbarians stop being an issue.

It opens a religious path for Georgia, which is fine. You can stack it with the Pantheon God of War too, giving you 100% bonus faith equal to strength of unit killed.

So, I feel like they wouldn't be telling us to keep our social media notifications on if they weren't going to have more Civ-related news within the year.

Whether that means another season pass, a spin-off game, or Civ VII is up for debate.

Rony used the words "Civilization Franchise" in the March Update.

Also, some Firaxis employees now have Space related backgrounds. SCHUSPISCHIOUS!!! (They may have had them for a while, I wouldn't know...)

And by some I basically mean Kevin. Also Jack Solomon who worked for Xcom and whose page I never visited but I needed a second person to justify the use of the words "some employees" rather than "an employee" to artificially inflate my claim.

P.S. Congrats to Carl on becoming a game designer! if he's indeed behind some of those changes to existing civs, man, you're doing Lord's work there!
Given how he said he was a big fan of the game, I wouldn't be surprised if he was.

I agree, but I think it's important to realize just how unique Canada's build order is. With the AI super unlikely to denounce and then formal war you, you can get away with ignoring building an army; I'd absolutely substitute a few slingers for an early builder or two. You still need to scout, as you'll be fairly isolated, but it's not like you have to settle anywhere else immediately to prevent the AI from doing so. With new Canada, you can stay in the tundra and build strong cities, whereas previously Canada needed to immediately find some way to leave.

But regarding their differentiation with Russia, maybe I don't play them right, but I always found them to have a really slow start no matter what. Even if they're not in tundra, there just doesn't seem to be much production or growth potential. Russia seems to be the civ to settle wide, whereas Canada is clearly the tall version of them now. Of course Russia has the Lavra which solves a lot of these problems, but that requires a lot of extra synergy with beliefs that Canada doesn't need to worry about.

Yeah, Russia has a problem with food and growth - they really need to get those Lavra down and get Feed the World if they want to grow, or they go work ethic and just live with their cities being stuck at 4 pop forever, basically. They can still outpace everyone in those 4pop city production, since you can easily get a +6 lavra, so with the policy card and work ethic can be +12 production from that, plus their tiles giving them production and faith, can be getting 20+ production there.

But with Canada now able to get 4f farms and 3f camps in the tundra, that gives them at least a little flexibility to build up. Then if you have a few hills or mines that you can add too, you should be able to grow those cities a little better. Yes, it needs a builder to function, and you might still get stuck if you lack freshwater, but it should give you enough yields that with the builder getting the basic infrastructure down, you won't be stuck building a preserve for 40 turns quite as often as you used to.

I also think the changes to Spain's non capital continent cities can be very potent. Cheaper districts and extra builders should mean it's significantly easier to make self sufficient settlements.

I also think the changes to Spain's non capital continent cities can be very potent. Cheaper districts and extra builders should mean it's significantly easier to make self sufficient settlements.
And, it said the Trade Route bonus is "between Continents" so the trade routes you use to beef up those cities will be pretty beefy too.

Reactions: PiR
Top Bottom