Are you a USA conservative, do you favour a default ?

Don't worry, if they don't cut it European culture will be the minority in Europe with the majority being Muslim, crap that doesn't sound so fun.
If that sort of apocalyptic xenophobia has ever had any basis in reality, there wouldn't actually be European culture, there'd just be Jews, Jamaicans and Irish from Lisbon to Moscow. And how'd that actually turn out, eh? :rolleyes:

You do realize that the private sector includes low paying jobs like farm workers, fast food wage slaves workers while the public sector doesn't.
And the public sector also includes school janitors and bus drivers who also get crap for wages.

Don't worry, if they don't cut it European culture will be the minority in Europe with the majority being Muslim, crap that doesn't sound so fun.
Is this xenophobia or islamophobia? I'm not sure.

Allow me to quote my mother's opinion:

Medicaid and welfare - but poor people need their money! Well except for those welfare abusers who pretty much don't exist.

Okay then...

I'd like to point out that they do exist and I see them buying the ribeyes and expensive items in grocery stores with their food stamp money every week. They aren't even trying to conserve. Some are, but there are genuine abusers in the system.

I'd like to point out that they do exist and I see them buying the ribeyes and expensive items in grocery stores with their food stamp money every week. They aren't even trying to conserve.
How on earth do you know that these people are abusing welfare? Maybe they're just balancing their budget in some way because they appreciate food, or maybe it's a one-off for a special occasion, or maybe what they're buying just looks more expensive than it is. Don't assume things about people that you can't possibly know.

If that sort of apocalyptic xenophobia has ever had any basis in reality, there wouldn't actually be European culture, there'd just be Jews, Jamaicans and Irish from Lisbon to Moscow. And how'd that actually turn out, eh? :rolleyes:
Where do you think Europe is going to get the tens of millions of workers it needs in the next two decades? Where do you think Europe is going to get the 100 million+ workers over the next 50? Look at how well Muslims have integrated so far in Europe.

Also if Ireland could get the birthrate to 4.0 it could become a major player in Europe
And the public sector also includes school janitors and bus drivers who also get crap for wages.

Is this xenophobia or islamophobia? I'm not sure.

The Federal public sector?

I wouldn't want Europeans to overrun Asia or Africa either.

Where do you think Europe is going to get the tens of millions of workers it needs in the next two decades? Where do you think Europe is going to get the 100 million+ workers over the next 50? (Germany for example to sustain its welfare state is going to need that alone.)
They get them from immigration and natural population growth. After a generation or two the immigrants will be absorbed into German culture, just like what happened in America in the Gilded Age.

The Federal public sector?
They need janitors also, or do you think the congressmen scrub the halls of the capitol or empty the trash?

I dont think either side favors a default. I just think both sides favor their own plans so much they arent willing to compromise. As to who it hurts more - that will remain to be seen, however, historically, blame (and credit) generally lands in the lap of whoever is sitting in the oval office.

They get them from immigration and natural population growth. After a generation or two the immigrants will be absorbed into German culture, just like what happened in America in the Gilded Age.

They need janitors also, or do you think the congressmen scrub the halls of the capitol or empty the trash?

Those numbers are the deficit after you account for population growth. How well have Turks become Austrians?

They have a smaller number of low paying jobs

I'm Canadian, so "disclaimer: what do I know?" but it seems to me like the Democrats have compromised a bit when it comes to social programs cuts, but the Republicans aren't budging at all when it comes to tax increases and/or the end of tax breaks.

Well, thats largely because they made election promises along those lines that got them elected. If its what their citizens want, then what do they have to lose by sticking to their guns?

Where do you think Europe is going to get the tens of millions of workers it needs in the next two decades? Where do you think Europe is going to get the 100 million+ workers over the next 50? Look at how well Muslims have integrated so far in Europe.

Maybe from the 50 million currently unemployed people in Europe at the moment?

Small request: You know how to break up quotes and respond to individual sentences, please do so.
Those numbers are the deficit after you account for population growth.
Huh? The rate of increase in population growth of "native" Europeans may be dropping a bit, but it is still a rate of increase.
How well have Turks become Austrians?
Give it time, we have barely had a full generation of Middle Eastern Immigration into Europe. Heck, there were still some fairly powerful 'Know-Nothing' parties in America two or three generations after the bulk of the Irish moved over here.

They have a smaller number of low paying jobs
But they still have them. Expanding beyond the lowest of the low, federal workers are generaly paid less in wages then people doing comprable work in the private sector.

Well, thats largely because they made election promises along those lines that got them elected. If its what their citizens want, then what do they have to lose by sticking to their guns?

So you want the Democrats to compromise, even though they already have, but don't think the Republicans should at all, because of election promises?

As to what they have to lose.. isn't it obvious? Your economy and your entire country is at stake here. Why play games?

Just pointing out, the Dems made election promises too.

As to what they have to lose.. isn't it obvious? Your economy and your entire country is at stake here. Why play games?
The GOP plays the game of the petulant toddler because it has been well established that Obama is a poor negotiator and that he would rather compromise to the GOP then risk a default. He is caught between a rock and a hard place and therefore has to go with the less disasterous option.

So you want the Democrats to compromise, even though they already have, but don't think the Republicans should at all, because of election promises?

I think the claims of democrats compromising have been grossly exaggerated, but for the record, I want both sides to compromise a bit - even though I generally side with the GOP on reducing government spending. I've already said its going to be bad for both parties if they cant reach an agreement here.

Seriously, we still dont even have an agreed upon budget for the 2011 fiscal year, which should have actually been completed even before last falls elections when the democrats still controlled everything.

The real problem here is Obama's 'my way or the highway' attitude. He's done more to alienate congress than GWB did his entire 8 years in, and it shows in these kinds of issues.

To be fair MobBoss, Obama is only alienating people who want to be alienated and isn't using the same awful rhetoric that GWB to brow beat people into agreement like questioning their patriotism.

Jobs? Long term economic health of the country. Who will step up to be the bigger man here?

Or shall we just enjoy the size contest, darn the consequencs?

The real problem here is Obama's 'my way or the highway' attitude. He's done more to alienate congress than GWB did his entire 8 years in, and it shows in these kinds of issues.

That is entirely false. Obama has never had a 'my way or the highway' attitude with dealings with the Republicans. It has always been the other way around. Obama has been willing to compromise on everything, and the Republicans have compromised on nothing.

Top Bottom