1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Ask a Russian

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Gelion, Oct 13, 2006.

1. Daw

Daw Chieftain

Most probably. The question is how much worse though. So far it does not look like a disaster.

I don't know that, too. I would guess that an ordinary Crimean's income is lower than an average Westerner's one. Like, say, 1000$ a month, roundabout. And because it is a resort region, that income is very likely to be very uneven throughout the year.
    To compare apples to apples, here's a restaurant that not only serves but also delivers Ukrainian cuisine in Moscow.

Don't know about Sydney, but those in New York can also try it. No prices shown on their page there though.

I ate it. :yumyum:

And yes, that post shows the eat-out meal prices in Russia out of both big cities & wilderness of taiga/tundra.

2. red_elk

red_elk Warlord

You are rich guy. We, ordinary Russians, can afford only bread and water.

3. Daw

Daw Chieftain

You just don't know for how many years I've been saving for this show off. My whole life went into that little plate of delicious salad.

4. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

Fixed :mischief:

Olivier salad :confused:
    I though it was odd sausages used in a salad, and I learnt it is a German thing.
    Here in the west we call the it Potato Salad, no sausages or meat is added though

5. REDY

REDY Duty Caller

Yeah I think that under "salad" westerner usually imagines something light and healthy. We give there lot of mayoneisse and ham/salami. vegetable is actually side ingredient there :)

6. red_elk

red_elk Warlord

By the way, for those who are interested in Russian traditions and habit, I recently found a good educational video. This one focuses more on gestures.

Link to video.

7. Daw

Daw Chieftain

Nah, that one ought to be home-made, or it's not truly authentic
    Yeah, that one was called "Bavarian" and indeed I had something like that in Germany. Germans have it different though. Or at least what I had was not the classic Wurstsalat. The closest thing I managed to find in the images would be this Weisswurst-Radieschen-Salat, if you take the radish out, add some yellow cheese cut in cubes and some Chinese cabbage. Oh, and use these sausages instead of the white ones. So, not the Weisswurstradischensalat exactly either... :dunno:

8. Takhisis

Takhisis excuse me

But you're not giving the recipe!
    How affordable is that meal in Russian terms? The price sounded quite acceptable, but I'm in a country with >30% inflation so everyone tries to get rid of their money.

9. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

Interesting predictions
    Both Russia and German are predicted to decline in power, I also suspect China wants to recover lost territories from Russia. The wealth disparity along the Chinese Russia border is huge. Dont worry US hyperpower status will be over and it will just become the worlds leading superpower instead

What do Russians think ?
    (I make joke about Russia collapsing again and Germany starting another war but many expert in West have made this prediction)

10. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

Are all Russian political campaign songs this funny and catchy?

Link to video.

11. Oerdin

Oerdin Chieftain

As a Russian do you ever feel your intelligence is being insulted by the state controlled media?

12. Daw

Daw Chieftain

I didn't know it was required. Well, here goes: take a random salad mix based on Iceberg salad or Chinese cabbage, add yellow cheese and red sausage slices. Serve with honey and mustard dressing. Enjoy.

Average salary statistics in Rubles (blue) and USD (red). Please note the aspect I mentioned to FriendlyFire earlier: official statistics does not account gray incomes which in some cases are many times greater than declared ones.
    Spoiler :

That dinner was 1'600 rubles for two, so it would be something like 800 to 1'000 for one, and it is quite affordable, if not for every day then surely for a couple of times a week. However, we just don't have that culture of eating out regularly. It's more associated with travel, or having a party, or something occasional like meeting with old friends.

The place I had it at was half-full, and it is normal for around 14:00 on Saturday.

13. Daw

Daw Chieftain

Umm... No. In fact, I don't know any other Russian political campaign song at all, so it like there's little to compare it with. Moreover, IIRC this one came around after some elections (2004 or 2012, I don't remember which), not before.

But I may be wrong about it because I don't pay too much attention to my TV.

My intelligence like GRU or my intelligence like me being smart (thank you)?

No, it's not insulting. Rather boring and annoying slightly. I am not sentenced by court to watch it, be it wholly or in any part of it. Same goes to BBC, CNN, Instagram and Youtube - regardless of whoever controls them and how much they are controlled.

I've got over 100 channels in my TV (comes with internet connection at 620 rub/month for both), and I've never switched on most of them for the same reason: they're boring.

14. red_elk

red_elk Warlord

It's a crappy fan-art as you most likely understand. Girls are nice though.
    I tried to remember anything from Putin's political campaign and all what I remember were very simple ads - when people who are considered as 'moral authority' by many Russians, who have influence in society, were saying that they are going to vote for Putin and why.

Some of these ads caused scandal in opposition, like the one with well-known actress and charity activist. People said like this cannot be true, she was threatened to say this! :)
    Spoiler :

I definitely would feel so, if I didn't see how media in the rest of the world works.
    When I see, for example, CNN coverage when they show barrage of Georgian artillery with the outline "Russia is attacking Georgia", I resort to considering all of this as part of information war.

15. Mechanicalsalvation

Mechanicalsalvation -

:goodjob: I can only say I am ashamed and angry of the state of present day global geopolitical situation and the role the western media plays in it. Next time somebody is going to b!tch about state of democracy in Russia and simmilar I now what to think of his intelligence for sure.

Example of the Western attitude I have just learned today: USA are reluctant to help (supply weapons) Nigeria to fight Boko Haram until they grant rights to the gay community which in turn is politicaly and culturewise an impossibility for the Nigerian leaders. It turns out that the things are different then it seems to be. There happens to be oil fields in North of Nigeria. Meanwhile US allie Sauds are sponsoring these terrorist who dont even know Koran and there seems to be sponsor-links to foreign intelligent services as well. This hidden interest politics is going on for years. Back in 2008 Germany didnt allow Nigerian gunship which was repaired in Prague through its territory into the Belgian port becouse it could "influence the ballance of power in the region or could be used for repressive purposes." The Western presstitutes are going all along with that...

16. red_elk

red_elk Warlord

If there are enough people in the USA, who would believe that their government cares for Nigerian gay community, why not? Let them be fed with it.

17. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

How much of Putin's early popularity came from appearing like an anti-Yeltsin? From what I understand Yeltsin more or less drank himself to death and just appeared like an incompetent fool while Putin was a far more athletic and dynamic personality?
    If he did have significant early popularity as an anti-Yeltsin is he still riding on that or has he become liked for his own actions?

18. Daw

Daw Chieftain

I think you understand it right, and, In me, a huge deal came from it.
    It's never mentioned officially, like them being compared on TV or in radio talks and someone making some pivot point of it. So I wouldn't say that he rides it for political promotion.

But still, the difference is remembered and I guess it still means a lot. Also, the actions differ, too.

That said, I don't think Putin is ideal. But on the axis from zero to perfection, I would place all currently available candidates between zero and Putin.

19. red_elk

red_elk Warlord

Hard to say, especially considering that anything sober and able to speak clearly, would be perceived as anti-Yeltsin by that time. Putin's early popularity IMO mostly came from his decisive dealing with Chechen problem, which (the problem) was considered by many Russians as a national disgrace.

No, it was too long ago. What still remains from Yeltsin's "heritage" until now, is completely discredited idea of Western style liberal democracy. One of the worst thing which USA and co did to destroy their reputation among ordinary Russians, is supporting this drunkard in 90-s and calling him democrat. But Putin's current popularity must be attributed to events which happened during his presidency, such as economic rally of 00-s and recently, the Crimea.

20. Daw

Daw Chieftain

At that time there hardly was a single thing about the country that I didn't consider as a national disgrace to some extent.