[BTS] Avatar: The Last Airbender Mod

Andreman

Chieftain
I glad to introduce my Avatar: The Last Airbender mod. Current version (0.1) is about aesthetics, original gameplay of BTS was not changed. At time of writing this I haven’t plans to continue work on mod, so now it has Paused status. However maybe in future I will continue it (I don’t really know). I did this mod just because I wanted to :) and now I want to share it with you, for not let my work into oblivion. Hope it is what you looking for!

Mod created in English and in Russian. Multiplayer tested.

Features:

* 9 Civilizations of Avatar World
* and appropriate anthems for them
* In-game Avatar themed music
* Changed menu and interface color
* Changed terrain design
* Huge map of Avatar world

Screenshots:

Spoiler :

Download (0.1v):

http://www.mediafire.com/file/a7v9q8eqlxj2dzx/Civ4_AvatarMod_v_0.1.zip/file

Mod created for BTS 3.19, so it need to be placed into [Civilization 4 Installation directory]\Beyond the Sword\Mods

Credits:

* tipsycakes from DeviantArt for Main Menu art
* Jeremy Zuckerman and Benjamin Wynn for music from AtLA
* Isaias Garcia for some avatar inspired music tracks
* NamesAreUseless for original Avatar map
* tsentom1 and creators of Thomas War mod just as Fall From Heaven team for terrain textures
* avatar.fandom.com users for larger part of civilizations and leaders civilopedia information
* Kael and forum for modding tutorials, thanks
* Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko for creating awesome world

Last edited:
For me, all of the names and descriptions in the mod were messed up, so I tried changing the language. This screwed everything up for the entire application so there is no text at all in the entire menu (all blank but i can still click on buttons). I can't change the language back to english unfortunately. I guess I will have to uninstall and re-install unless you have any ideas on how to fix this.

Messed up? How it looked like? I once had the same issue (missed interface text). You should change language in options file (one directory up to SAVES directory, CivilizationIV.ini , 115 row

Messed up? How it looked like? I once had the same issue (missed interface text). You should change language in options file (one directory up to SAVES directory, CivilizationIV.ini , 115 row

Ok I will try that. Thanks! (I attached the image of what the menu looks like rn)

Attachments

• screenshot.png
    screenshot.png
    350.6 KB · Views: 187
Ok I will try that. Thanks! (I attached the image of what the menu looks like rn)
I changed it back to English. Here is the same problem I was having yesterday. All of the modded text appears like this. Any idea how to fix this on my end?

Attachments

• screenshot1.png
    screenshot1.png
    493.7 KB · Views: 196
Root of the problem is that i did my mod within civilization with russian localization. Original Civ IV not using Unicode, therefore this localization used code CP-1251 to show cyrillic letters. For sure you use another codepage (1252) by OS, by default. I think it will work if you change system region or language to russian (automatic switch to cp1251?.. or manual change?...). Also, in russian localization russian language is first in language list - in international version English in first. So, you may try to use second language in list

https://serverfault.com/questions/8...ine-the-codepage-and-locale-of-the-current-os
(answer from mklement)

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/7432545/change-codepage-in-cmd-permanently
(answer from Kuroi Mizu)

My powershell shows this (first image)
How to change cp to 1251 (second image), region and time settings, then top right corner, top right corner...
After previous step, result in powershell (third image), cp changed.
However it may not help, i didn't get same problem in game

Attachments

• powershell.png
    powershell.png
    8 KB · Views: 176
  • change.png
    change.png
    53.6 KB · Views: 115
  • powershell2.png
    powershell2.png
    3.2 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Root of the problem is that i did my mod within civilization with russian localization. Original Civ IV not using Unicode, therefore this localization used code CP-1251 to show cyrillic letters. For sure you use another codepage (1252) by OS, by default. I think it will work if you change system region or language to russian (automatic switch to cp1251?.. or manual change?...). Also, in russian localization russian language is first in language list - in international version English in first. So, you may try to use second language in list

https://serverfault.com/questions/8...ine-the-codepage-and-locale-of-the-current-os
(answer from mklement)

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/7432545/change-codepage-in-cmd-permanently
(answer from Kuroi Mizu)

My powershell shows this (first image)
How to change cp to 1251 (second image), region and time settings, then top right corner, top right corner...
After previous step, result in powershell (third image), cp changed.
However it may not help, i didn't get same problem in game
I switched to second language in the list and it worked. I guess because Russian was first language in XML files my computer was trying to represent the characters with English characters. Thanks for the help.
This mod is amazing - couldn't be happier.

Using second language in list (which lang is it?) - all text in English or in other language except text of mod?
Thanks for comment!

Using second language in list (which lang is it?) - all text in English or in other language except text of mod?
Thanks for comment!
I switched the English and Russian definitions in the XML files manually so that English was first and Russian second.

Hmm? Any details? Sounds interesting
Have a look for yourself. :)

united-forces-battleship.29753

And other Asian Flavor units can be found here. Catapults and grenadiers... Could make you mod look even better. :)

Also a nitpick but Whale Tail Island is actually near the southern Earth Kingdom. The location is shown in the episode, "Lake Laogai". :)

Have a look for yourself. :)
Looks nice)
I think simplest way to integrate this in mod is to set unit culture variants for ships, but currently i dont think i will do it in near future.. Maybe someday, i am not pretty sure, but i opened for suggestions

About Whale Tail island, well, i know. I am not author of map, i just did third modifucation, intentionally not changing it much. And i am also was confused when saw where author set location of Whale Tale Island. Just as Ember island (i have not found infortamtion about where is it). I decided to not touch marks, i don't remember exactly why). Maybe because i also not touched incorrect islands (for example between Fire archipelago and Southern Air Temple Archipelago) because it might had negative impact on map balance. Anyway you or someone else can create their own version of the map if you want; and i may insert it in mod

Also, i thought about how to expand this mod and concluded that i not really know how to insert bending here - it is not techs, it is more like "religion" - in both variants they must be unlocked only for their own nations - there is a problem. Also, Civ 4 religion is also redundant here and i dont know replacement of it. So all this have impact on that i dont think seriously about "big" version of mod now

Hello Andreman. I made the Avatar Map back in 2008 (Wow how times flies) that you asked permission for. On a whim, I decided to login to the CivFanatics Forums in what's been over 15 years and see it got attention back in 2020! Didn't expect that.

Yes, you have full permission to use my Avatar Map for your Mod. That is, if this Mod is still going. Since that time, I've been involved in other Modding projects for other games; one of those Total Conversions getting a C&D and involving us with a lawyer. I'm also now involved in an Indie Dev Studio. Suffice to say, not too keen on getting too involved in a Mod again ...

Anyways, since I made that Map, Legend of Korra came out, and lots of Avatar Comics and Books I haven't read ... at least from Korra, I know several parts of the Map need updating (particularly the South Pole, with the huge Spirit Oasis represented as several Grass Tiles with an Oasis in it probably).

I hope this is still going. I at least have ideas as to how this Mod could work! The Korra Episode with the 1st Avatar was really intriguing as to how the 4 Nations initially started ... although I'm sure Avatar Expanding Media probably covered details I'm not aware of anymore.

Last edited:
Hello Andreman. I made the Avatar Map back in 2008 (Wow how times flies) that you asked permission for. On a whim, I decided to login to the CivFanatics Forums in what's been over 15 years and see it got attention back in 2020! Didn't expect that.

Yes, you have full permission to use my Avatar Map for your Mod. That is, if this Mod is still going. Since that time, I've been involved in other Modding projects for other games; one of those Total Conversions getting a C&D and involving us with a lawyer. I'm also now involved in an Indie Dev Studio. Suffice to say, not too keen on getting too involved in a Mod again ...

Anyways, since I made that Map, Legend of Korra came out, and lots of Avatar Comics and Books I haven't read ... at least from Korra, I know several parts of the Map need updating (particularly the South Pole, with the huge Spirit Oasis represented as several Grass Tiles with an Oasis in it probably).

I hope this is still going. I at least have ideas as to how this Mod could work! The Korra Episode with the 1st Avatar was really intriguing as to how the 4 Nations initially started ... although I'm sure Avatar Expanding Media probably covered details I'm not aware of anymore.
Hello! Unexpected to see you here.
Alas, i worked only on mod version 0.1 back in 2020 and didnt continue. So there are aethetics only, no gameplay tweaks. Ofc if not consider Avatar world civs themselves

I'm also now involved in an Indie Dev Studio
Sounds interesting, i would also found a one for myself :)

Ofc this map can be tuned with new changes - but there are one my question about map design. Why did you added those islands between Fire archipelago and South Air nomads archipelago? It is if you even remember, of course :)

I at least have ideas as to how this Mod could work!
While this mod is not continuing by now you may share some your of thoughts here - 1) It is just exciting for me to hear some ideas about that and 2) Even if this mod will not countinue - it may be useful "for future generations" :)

Top Bottom