AW Shucks

pigswill

fly (one day)
We're playing the Incas on Earth 18.

No quecha rush? Aw shucks.

Virtually isolated? Aw shucks.

Blocked in by the Andes? Aw shucks.

Always War? Shucks :D.

Rolo, Astre and nocho have already volunteered.

LK is wavering....

I might play a set or two as well.

Anyone else interested in a quiet builder game? Emperor, normal speed.

Well, since Team A may take months to finish :mischief:, I'll join in the fun

lurker's comment:

Sorely tempted, but I have a horror two months of RL interruptions ahead of me. Best of luck! :)

Horror two months of Real Life? Sounds like you need a distraction! ;)

lurker's comment:

Overseas travel with no computer being one of the problems! :lol:

... AW shucks indeed!

@lymond. I'm sure that Team A will complete their 21st century victory in the next few days. Glad you could join.

Five players is almost enough but let's wait a couple of days to see if anyone else wants to join this fantastically easy wonderfest.

^^^I see what you did there ;)

maybe for us dumb people... could you somehow summarize a bit cleaner the rules?

Is it always war game or not is first question I have?

Personally don't like earth maps in civ, but since playing a lot EU now I think I could live with, but always war is no go for me.

vranasm: it is indeed Always War. The rules are straightforward: just win. So why not boldly go where no vranasm has gone before?

vranasm: it is indeed Always War. The rules are straightforward: just win. So why not boldly go where no vranasm has gone before?

there is a game called "civilization" with V at end which has no real diplomacy. I somehow totally despise that game...

AW settings in IV feel very familiar with that game...

What about difficulty settings? is the great wall allowed?

Inca is not really a diplomacy civ on earth 18. Monty is monty, america is gone or vasalled by the time you get there, and you probably won't expand to eurasia anyway. So, AW mainly means no tech trading once the euros find you and maybe an actual invasion at some point...?

@vranasm, thanks for the clarification. Feel free to lurk and make admiring comments as appropriate. I guess I won't need to buy Civ5 after all :)mischief:).

@vanatteveldt. Difficulty is emperor, Great Wall and everything else not officially an exploit is allowed. Interested?

as said, I'm in.

great wall in indeed a very good idea.
It des protect us from brabarian (always a big problem of south america) and provide us a great spy to backfill ^^.
The only problem is that we don't have stone nor the trait to make it cost less costy and have a sub continent to fill before the other ones arrive...

question: do the other AI make war each other in AW?

OK, I'm game if there is room in the roster.

TGW is useful against the barbarians, but it will be tough to get before industrious stone-having Louis. The spy is pretty useless, as you only start accumulating spy points when you have contact (and we don't really want to steal a lot from monty, I presume).

Edit: did a small test on immortal (I know, 1 level too high, but shouldn't matter so much). I need until turn 41 to finish TGW (research mining->masonry, settle T2 on coast W of gold, build worker -> henge (failgold) -> TGW (as soon as masonry is in); improve corn -> hill -> gold -> corn. A saner improvement order (corn -> corn -> gold -> hill) is better long run but TGW takes 2 turns longer. I think that the chance that an AI will complete TGW by turn 41/43 is pretty high, does anyone have statistics on that?

the plan: found TGW, go strait to optic, plant a great spy at mansa palace, cashback the techs
seems like a great idea to me :)

what date is turn 41?

the plan: found TGW, go strait to optic, plant a great spy at mansa palace, cashback the techs
seems like a great idea to me :)

what date is turn 41?

:)

T41 = 2360. Oracle is certainly doable though, as we have good tech rate and the production is not so much needed. We can easily oracle CoL (religion plus courthouses), MC (extra happy and production with cheap forges), or Theology (the latter might be useful in AW for theocracy and AP-hammers).

Early game plan is boring I think, settle 2W, worker -> quecha* until size 3 or 4. Interesting discussions are, I think, where and when to break out (do we build the two possible cities on our strip first, or work from the capital? North or South?)

My votes would be: settler - galley - settler, with terrace and library whipped as convenient. City 1 should go north 1S of corn and produce a new worker or settler from size 2, after which it can go into whip cycles to get some infra (terrace/lighthouse/library), overflow going into a new settler/worker

Edit: we could consider downgrading the panama mountain to a hill. If we don't, monty will never go to south america (or did they fix that bug?)

some stats from my previous E18 games on building date of TGW (date in BC)
monarch 1960
emp 1840, 1800, 2000
imm 2300, 2100
diety 2400

I think we are pretty safe if we want to go this way i think.
But, do we? we still have a sub continent to settle and it cost us a lot doing that.

for the record, I'm to found second city in chile and third in buenos aires.

what is the plan? SSE? stonehenge would be great then ;-), but I guess thanks to terrace it's no biggie, but SH+ToA+Mids are very powerful combo until you finish TGL and then super super combo ;-)

TGW would ruin a bit SSE though. even if I think settled Great Spy is good in AW game thanks to EP's.

Top Bottom