1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Baking Cakes and Discrimination: Or, "What Would Jesus Do?"

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Cutlass, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Broken_Erika

Broken_Erika Nothing

If i was in the WH i'd be charged with trespassing. As well as various other charges...

2. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

I'm actually sort of flattered that you think I would manage to be a great revolutionary leader like Abraham Lincoln.

(disclaimer, this post is on multiple levels of irony and even I do not know if I'm being serious)

3. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2018
  4. Broken_Erika

Broken_Erika Nothing

Back then everyone was. Some far more than others....

5. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

I'm still deciding whether I should be happy or offended that nobody has mentioned me yet in this thread.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  6. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

I mean, why would we?
    Unless you are a bigoted baker we have no reason to randomly bring up CFC members not participating in the thread, unless we can make a funny joke.

7. red_elk

red_elk Deity

[A funny joke about tasty cake]

8. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

it's funny bc cake's post was exactly that

9. Yeekim

Yeekim Deity

If you find some unreasonable bigot who thinks you are an Affront To God, the reasonable thing to do is to take your dollars elsewhere, (whether or not they're actually willing to take you on as a customer). Of course, sometimes it might be impossible or impracticable, in which case it is fair to ask for state to intervene.

If I was a judge in the case, I'd find out what it would have cost to the couple to order a similar cake from elsewhere (including additional cost of time and transportation) and have the baker cover the difference. However, unless that difference was significant, I'd leave the couple to cover at least a portion of whatever legal costs they incurred.

10. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

In the US we have a history of that. "Separate but equal" didn't really seem to work out really equal. So now we don't have an inclination towards "well, as long as you have an option the store that discriminates is okay."