1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Balthasar has died

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by Vuldacon, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Ares de Borg

Ares de Borg Norman Knight

Ah, man. That's terrible news. May he rest in Peace.

2. Takhisis

Takhisis Free Hong Kong

Godspeed, Balthasar.

3. Wolfhart

Wolfhart The Last in Line

I know in theory that mankind is mortal, but it still comes as a shock when this is proven true.
    A reminder to me to never take the presence of people I like and respect for granted…
    Rest in peace Balthasar and thank you for everything!

4. Jivilov

Jivilov Prince

There are no survivors on this precious Earth. Godspeed Balthasar and thanks for everything. We'll be joining you in due course.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  5. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

I recall two other members of the community who died, many years ago.

6. Jorsalfare

Jorsalfare Prince

Very sad news. Balthasar was one of the veteran members who contributed to keep this forum - not only alive, but also a friendly place. I'll miss you, man.

7. Kirejara

Kirejara King

I am sad to read of Balthasars death.

8. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

I'm saddened to learn of Balthasar's passing. He contributed much to the community over the years, and the conversations and exchanges of ideas with him will be missed.

9. WildWeazel

WildWeazel -- Turns to Completion

Oh no! Balthasar was such a great guy, and will be dearly missed. I'm sorry we were never able to arrange a meetup. Thank you for letting us know, Vuldacon.

10. wuhjah

wuhjah Prince

Balthasar was a legend, and an inspiration to me. This is a great loss for the community, and he'll be missed.

11. Virote_Considon

Virote_Considon The Great Dictator

This is sad news indeed.

His wise and wonderful spirit shall always live on in this forum. Always lighthearted, always one to help; a true gentleman through and through.

12. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Maybe we could reboot the awards thread, given as Vuldacon said Balt was thinking of doing so. Maybe make it run every two or four months (to have enough stuff produced, hopefully).

13. Vuldacon

Vuldacon Dedicated to Excellence Supporter

I think Balthasar would like that too. There was not enough entries for the Monthly Awards. He mentioned several times about doing the Decade Awards.

14. tjs282

tjs282 Socially distancing since 1975

@Vuldacon and everyone else who's posted so far:

Just happened to see this thread during a rare vist to the C&C subforum. This is absolutely terrible news.

While I wouldn't claim that my interaction with Balthasar has been anything like as close and long as most(?) of you here in C&C, what little there has been, has always been both pleasant and rewarding. His passing is an irreplaceable loss for his family, friends and Civ3 modders/players everywhere.

FTR:

I also have what I believe are the most recent zip-files for 2 of his recent projects: the graphics-update for @KingArthur's SuperCiv Scenario (also available on CFC), and the Old West Mod, which he invited me to playtest last May (he PM'd me a dropbox-link which may or may not still be functional). If anyone has designated themselves heir to his modding-throne (or just wants the OWM files for their own entertainment), I would be happy to upload them.

(I found no graphical bugs in OWM to date. Some of the unit-settings may need additional adjustments to improve balance and functionality, and the 'Pedia file also needs a lot of editing to help new players)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
    Wolfshade likes this.
  15. timerover51

timerover51 Deity

This looks like I should have been back on the forum a lot sooner. This is the news that everyone knows will come but it is still a great shock to hear it. Balthasar was one of my inspirations on the Forum, and did such marvelous work. I will miss him as well. I know all too well what his family is feeling also, having been there myself with my son. Rest in Peace, Wise Man Balthasar.

16. Wolfshade

Wolfshade Little Winger

So much sad news. :'-(
    Rest in Peace, Wise Man.

17. Blake00

Blake00 Prince Supporter

Oh nooo!! I was literally just about to PM Balthasar to see how he was going and if he ended up putting together a Mars Civ 3 mod (combining a lot of his previous work) that he so kindly offered to do for me a while back and now I see this thread. I'd been so preoccupied with Civ2 editing I hadn't got around to touching base with him about this. I finally remember to contact him, went to his profile and found this out... :(

He seemed like a really nice guy that everyone liked. He was clearly SUPER talented so it would have been cool to see what sort of Mars mod he would have come up with. Probably would have blown us all away!

RIP bro. :(

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  18. ruby_sauce

ruby_sauce Outside the box

I rarely visit anymore but I still come back here after all these years because of the lovely interactions on this forum. I will miss Balthasar. Rest in peace and condolences to the family :(

19. Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey Archon Without Portfolio

If you haven't done so already, under the circumstances imho it would be both fine & greatly desirable to upload them to the DB. Then post a link - probably in the original threads or else in a new thread here in the appropriate subforums.

20. tjs282

tjs282 Socially distancing since 1975

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020