Barbarossa: The War in the East 1941-1945

What do you think of this Scenario?

• Total voters
absolute sad,

Thank you for the interesting comment and playtest-report.

I agree with you:
The best would be a scenario for each side.
The weak AI is a great problem.

Rocoteh

Rocoteh, I don´t know why CFC banned only for 3 days. Although I think nostalgicsaga is a known poster here I have no proofs. So as a newbie he has to be punished indeed but not so strong as a senior poster here. Until this is not proven the penalty is okay. If it is a senoir poster under a new name however, a complete ban for the senior poster under all nicks should be the best.

Adler

Adler17 said:
Rocoteh, I don´t know why CFC banned only for 3 days. Although I think nostalgicsaga is a known poster here I have no proofs. So as a newbie he has to be punished indeed but not so strong as a senior poster here. Until this is not proven the penalty is okay. If it is a senoir poster under a new name however, a complete ban for the senior poster under all nicks should be the best.

Adler

I can not comment on your opinion since
public discussion of Moderators actions are not allowed.

PM:s from Thunderfall and Padma have made me
take the decision to continue "business as usual.

I am concerned that Sarevok is silent though.
There is a clear risk that he have left CFC.

Rocoteh

Has anyone ever finished a game as the germans where the SU actually managed to push you back? all the way to Berlin? I believe the German Production is still a little too high.

Rocoteh said:
Pfeffersack,

Is it your opinion that its now to hard to play Germany?
The removal of the oppression wonder should work
heavy in Soviets favour.

Rocoteh

No, not really to hard.I am still able to pogress, but much slower, usually it takes two turns after taking a city to set up defense and to be able to form a new attack.Getting one or two cities every three or four turns is realistic IMO, the "surprise moment" of the first month is gone.And of course Deity shouldn't be a cakewalk :)

The massive early counterattacks of the SU may not be completly accurate with history, but as described above they are not too dangerous at the moment (several factors, most of them are completly hardcoded: AI often does not protect attacking tank divisions, a human would do even more air bombardment before attack a large city, the large distance between the cities - I like it and its realistic, but it means often ending up with the the attacking forces one or two turns away from the city.So it is easy to weaken unprotected forces).So the mass of AI units is more a balance for the lacking combat abilities the unbalancing and I'm convinced the results will be quite realistic if the scenario progresses.Once again: :goodjob:

music_theory7 said:
Has anyone ever finished a game as the germans where the SU actually managed to push you back? all the way to Berlin? I believe the German Production is still a little too high.

I am still rather at the beginning of the scenario (and the SU has recently started building the GPW), but I think it is possible, at least on Deity or on Sid...if you haven't conquered enough of their cities at the moment the game "changes" via tech, you might run into the problem.Of course it is only possible if the AI outnumbers the player really massive, but as the German units get more and more expensive and production drops...but OK, it is just speculation, maybe using the coming terraforming options for extensive mining and using the remaining factory buildings left enough shields.I guess it has to be tested.

Pfeffersack,

Thank you for your comment.

The Soviet forces made early massive counterattacks,
but they were all repulsed.

A sad aspect of the "The Great Patriotic War" was the NKVD-terror.
How many Russians that were shot by NKVD for "cowardness"
we will probably never know.

At one time a whole rifle-regiment (3 000 men) was executed
on order from Zhukov.
The reason? "Cowardness" in front of the enemy.

Rocoteh

Sarevok & Rocoteh,
As a rule I generally do not write fan letters about anything, but I felt compelled to offer up a few words of praise after playing this mod.
"Barbarossa" is absolutely incredible. This has to be one of the best mods/scenarios I have ever played. IMHO, it is the best World War 2 era mod on Civfanatics.
I do have a minor problem with the size of the art and text download as I only have a lousy 56K connection (it routinely takes between 2 and 4 hours to get a download the size of BRB 1.1 [~45 MB]) However, if 2 to 4 hours are what is required to receive an outstanding mod such as Barbarossa, then I can only consider those hours as time very well spent.
Please keep up the outstanding work and, despite the download times, I am very much looking forward to any future versions of BRB as I am sure that they will only improve what is already an excellent mod.
Good health and good luck,
Chuck.

Chuck2280,

Thank you for the positive words.
They are really needed now as I am considering if
I should stay at CFC or not.

Once again: I am really glad that you liked the scenario.

Rocoteh

Rocoteh,
If you are thinking about leaving because of the nostalgicsaga post, consider this: Just from the voting alone, at least 47 people consider your, and Sarevok's, work to be good to excellent. I am sure there are more who would place it in the same range but they haven't voted yet.
Nostalgicsaga is just one person. I don't know why he or she posted as they did, I just know that the person behind the post must be either very upset about something or is just a jacka$$. (My money is on the jacka$$ reason).
I figure it this way, both you and Sarevok both have contributed much to the Civfanatics forum in terms of mods and scenarios, modding expertise, expertise in other areas as well, and enjoyment for the people who have downloaded your work. Why let some person who is being a jerk run you off? Granted, you don't have to take the bs that nostalgicsaga is spewing out. But as I learned a long time ago, people like him come and go. I found that it is best just to ignore the jerks in the crowd and to keep on going. I know his comments may have stung, but all he did was to prove Mark Twain correct. I refer to the Twain quote of "It is best to let people think you a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!" All he did was to "remove all doubt" (at least to anyone reading this thread and his comments). As I see it, the count stands at 47 to 1 in favor of you and Sarevok. Obviously, my humble opinion, is that you should stay. However, should you decide to go, I would ask that you let those of us who appreciate your and Sarevok's work know where you've gone off to.
Thanks again,
Chuck.

Chuck2280,

You are 100% correct.

I have decided to forget the hate-poster.
What makes the situation unclear is why Thunderfall deleted
the info on TGW and Barbarossa in the front-page ad.

If and I repeat if the reason is some sort of power-demonstration
its very serious.
I am also concened with regard to Sarevok.
The fact that he is silence can mean that he have quitted CFC.

Well, time will tell in both cases.
I will continue with "business as usual" until I have an answer.

Best Regards

Rocoteh

@rocoteh
forget that silly knucklehead. why fret over what you can't control (idiotic posts)?

i know i haven't been posting much in this thread but i keep an eye on it. you 2 have done awesome work w/ this and to consider leaving cfc is nonsense!

i know how much work modding is and i feel your pain but you must not let a bad apple spoil the lot.

El Justo

El Justo said:
@rocoteh
forget that silly knucklehead. why fret over what you can't control (idiotic posts)?

i know i haven't been posting much in this thread but i keep an eye on it. you 2 have done awesome work w/ this and to consider leaving cfc is nonsense!

i know how much work modding is and i feel your pain but you must not let a bad apple spoil the lot.

El Justo

El Justo,

Thank you.
My current position is that I will stay at CFC.

Right now I hope that Thunderfall explains why info
on front-page have been deleted.

Probably 1.1 will stay for at least 5-6 weeks so
playtest-results can be accumulated.

Best Regards

Rocoteh

Just finished turn 21.

Conquered Chernovsty(14.), Kosice, Mogilev (both 15.), Novgorod(17.), Zhitomir(19.) and Smolensk (20.turn).Smolensk was quite hard to take(the siege last 4 turns), mainly because there were AA units in the city.The other cities were rather easy to take, because I have complete air superiority at the moment.The SU has hardly any bombers left and the remaining fighters are often not near the front for intercepting.And of course there is also the common problem with AI, which does not recognize the importance of building enough AA units.Perhaps it would help the AI to include a factory-like building which produces AA at a low, but constant rate (this would be geneally a way to give the AI access to units they don't build theirself).

What hits the SU hard is the lack of a strong defense unit like the Panzergrenadier-Unit.The infantery isn't able to cope with tanks etc., even if there is no supporting bombardment.Another thing which may become unbalancing are the MGLs, at least as long the AI doesn't use them (I saw the SU getting at least 2)...I get 8 or 9 until now and lost only one of my armies (due an error of mine).

Here is a brief overview over the current forces at the end of turn 21 (my tech level is near the start level, no new units invented until now):

Germany
- 8 armies
- 29 artillery
- 32 mobile AA/flak
- 16 SPAA
- 223 infantery
- 28 Panzergrenadiere
- 27 Panzer-III-Divisions (+3 heavy divisions)
- 8 Tank-Destroyers

- 26 ME109
- 3 ME 110
- 3 Ju87
- 17 Ju88
- 9 HE111

SU
- 14 artillery
- 2 mobile AA
- 222 infantery (91 soviet infantery, 64 guards divisions, 67 city garrisons)
- 56 Soviet Tank Brigades (the unit they are mainly producing; despite there number is rather constant, because they lose between 10-20 every turn)

- 41 Yak-1
- 1 I-15
- 1 SB-2

love this scenario, very acurate of Russia's situation. It must have taken an incredible amount of hours, but thanks to pioneers like you we people who don't have time to create such scenarios can enjoy them for ourselves. Keep up the good work :D

I am here.

I have read the last few pages and its effects as well as 10 PM's in my box. I am happy for the good comments made towards this scenario and am happy people are enjoying it. Such absences as the one I had for the last few days may become more common as I am in school so do not think I have left. Believe me, It will be quite obvious If I leave as I am a fan of creating collateral damage.

Concerning that defamation post, I will send a PM to Thunderfall and the mods immediately. I never have been that insulted anywhere since April 2003. The general lack of action is almost just as angering, though I will have to see the response before I make any actions that could prove irreversible.

The nature of my school the last few days and the fact that I have been not only off CFC but off computers as well, what I learned is clear: I can live without CFC as well.

Hope for the best, and once again thank you for all of your excellent comments. :)

- Sarevok

Guys,
At last check, both TGW and BRB were listed on the front page, so all is returning to normal...I guess.

If my word counts I really appreciate what you guys are doing. You people should be working for Firaxis as their senario designers!

But back to the game how about adding even more Russian cities to increase their production? If the german player destory's too many of their cities they are toast, so make that mcuh much harder, and in the fact the city to city ratio of germany is pretty close when they conquer the border cities, and since the German cities are usually more populated it's not as even.

I have recieved my response from TF..... I have PMed Rocoteh.

If anyone wants us to stay, my suggestion to you is to beg TF to ban that guy for 10-15 days. Otherwise we are almost certainly out of here...

The post the guy made is obviously wrong. I think you Sarevok are in your right to be upset and demand some level of intervention/action. Should the guy be banned permanently? My opinion – No. He has been made perfectly clear that that sort of post will not be tolerated and I think for a first offence CFC moderators are even being heavy handed in their dealings with him – in support of you guys.

I am sorry, I don’t mean to come in here and interject but I really think you guys should keep focus on the mod – your work is exceptional and all of us know that. Keep doing what you are doing and don’t pay attention to such people.

Keep up the great work! & don’t worry if that guy posts such a message again, then I am certain we will not be seeing him again.

One suggestion to you TF – I think it wise to erase his post. It is utter nonsense and doesn’t belong in this thread.

In a PM to Sarevok I have told him that I think
we should stay at CFC.

I really hope he will take the same position.

I can only agree with TETurkhan:

I think hate-post 254 should be erased
or at least the text in it.

Rocoteh

Top Bottom