Best Dwarf Origin Myth Ever

That is so completely unfounded, it is ridiculous. In my experience, Tolkien devotes several chapters to major battles, and I've never seen him use 7 pages on anything trivial. Maybe we are reading different editions?

I understand you are trying to be funny, but that is completely baseless.

Heh, I think someone struck a nerve. :mischief:

Lol, I tried not to sound like a whiny fan boy, but I wasn't very successful...

Elfen from Bernhard Hennen - no idea if they are translated in other languages than german already. It's a fantastic saga it has Elfs, Trolls, Human Religous Fanatics, Nordics (like the one in FFH), love drama and a great writing style.

For me this has removed LotR from it's throne.

I liked the silmarillion more anyway :)

suggestions for books, no prob.

bakker's the darkness that comes before was only mentioned once, it deserves another. its a trilogy that isnt dumbed down like most fantasy is these days.

erikson's malazan series is another good one, in that it is not dumbed down, and is done as realistically as possible for a book with magic and gods. however, he leaves you to figure things out for yourself a lot, and the books jump around in time a bit. both of which can be good if you can follow it, or annoying otherwise.

weis and hickman are known for their work in dragonlance... but their death gate cycle was -much- better.

and i cant believe no one has even mentioned gene wolfe. one of my favorites, though it can be hard to follow at times. start with the book of the new sun.

there is a lot more of course, and my personal preferences and biases are probably obvious. hell, i even like industrial music. but thats a good start, and most of those at least use an interesting twist on the (usually stale) genre.

I have read Pratchett in 3 languages so far :) It is fun even in German. ;)
"Small gods" are teh best.

He writes his books in a simple schema so you might say if you read 4 of them you read them all but I still want to read the next one for the humour and gags.

"Good omen" made me laugh so hard my belly hurt.

Rex rgis of Ter and your Thread Necromancy!! >_<

Well, now that the beast is awaken, I think I will add to the off-topicness of this thread.

I'm reading Wheel of Time now, I'm only on the fourth book of the Swedish translation, which is the 2nd half of the 2nd book in English I believe. And I really like it. I wish I had a better place to sit when I read, cause my bed isn't the best place to sit for long, and the place I've been reading the most at isn't really the best smelling place.

I also liked David Eddings The Belgariad series and the followup series The Mallorean. I also liked Belgarath the Sorcerer the prequel kinda book. And I haven't read Polgara the Sorceress, but I bet I would have liked it back then.

I never got into the Elenium and it seemed to be at a slower pace and less interesting story to me or something, so I never finished the first book.

But The Belgariad series was such an easy read to me back then I had never read so many books in one summer. (and I don't read as much as I did then now either)

The story of Kheldon Ki in Bambur's civilopedia entry, and how he carved dwarves from stone to keep him company during his imprisonment, is the greatest origin story I've ever heard. Brilliant myth-making.

I'm sure you have all this planned in future releases, but it is precisely this sort of backstory that sets FFH apart, and needs to be emphasized beyond an entry appearing in a too-small window in the civilopedia. You guys are great.
Shifting away from the major discussion going on in this topic and back to the original post, I agree. Reading through the civilopedia entries was quite interesting, particularly character backstories (like Barnaxus's for example). But even the entries for some units and spells are interesting (like Summon Chaos Marauder and Repair).

It is a bit of a shame that the backstory doesn't have much of an impact on the game, but at the end of the day, FfH2 is a strategy game at the heart of it and there's only so much impact rich lore can have.

I don't know if anyone of u has read the Wars of Shadow and Light from Janny Wurts? That series certainly is one of the better fantasy out there cause it doesnt need to use elves and dwarves to make great fantasy. ( dont get me wrong fantasy with dwarves and elves is great too! ) I has quite a dark story where the forces of light get cursed and overzealous in their search for the so called 'evil' master of shadow who is in fact a very gentle and 'good' man. The real evil lurks in the minds of the protagonists and the people of the world because of a curse from something called the mistwraith. 7 immortal sorcerors of which only a few remain fully capable, guard the world from these evil spirits and at the same time work towards the restoration of the original inhabitants of the world, the paravians ( the humans sought refuge on the planet a long long time ago when it had spacefaring capabilities )

Bakkers trilogy of the prince of nothing is very good IMO since its very unconventional and full of new ideas.

Pratchett is and stays a very good writer with class humor :)

Other writers such as Feist, Goodkind and the Eddings make very readable and enjoyable fantasy even though its not quite unconventional.
-----------

back on the subject here= FfH2 just rules, great lore! So when are u guys going to write novels based on this world? :D

Top Bottom