BETA TEST: History Rewritten 1.24 (K-Mod Merge)

I haven't downloaded the beta yet but here are, as always, my suggestions for capitals for new leaders (I don't know your choices):
Atlatl Cauac - Teotihuacan
Juárez - Mexico City
Aelfred - Winchester

Okay, I think I've figured out what the problem was. Put simply, it was that I didn't have Sailing. As soon as I built a road to one of my neighbors, a trade route to them popped right up on the city screen.

The descriptions of what the various water route enabling techs do is thus somewhat misleading. What Sailing, for example, actually does is enable trade via rivers *outside of your cultural borders*. Water routes *inside* your borders seem to always be active, regardless of tech. This also implies that the trade-connected icon on the scoreboard (and the ability to trade resources) only requires one of the parties to have the necessary tech, and that while they may be able to send trade routes to you, you may not be able to reciprocate.

Good to know.

I haven't downloaded the beta yet but here are, as always, my suggestions for capitals for new leaders (I don't know your choices):
Atlatl Cauac - Teotihuacan
Juárez - Mexico City
Aelfred - Winchester

My choices are the same as yours. Aelfred's city selection are all in Old English though, so his capital appears as Wintanceastre. Also, I haven't yet made the Aztec citylist dynamic, so at the moment Juárez doesn't have any Mexican cities other than the capital. I intend to update this for 1.24, just haven't got to it yet.

Download

Changes Since the 1st Beta

K-Mod (Windows only)
• Great Artist: culture from Great Works now scales properly with era
• Great Spy: enabled AI improvements

Compatibility
• Windows and OS X saved games are no longer compatible
• Multiplayer between Windows and OS X only possible if Windows players remove DLL
• Mulitplayer between Windows and OS X probably has OOS issues (working on a fix)

Civil War
• Dissent penalty (+100) added when a city starves

Religion
• Improved calculations to determine a religion's faith leader
• Fixed a bug that sometimes allowed a reformation when adopting another civ's state religion

Buildings
• Nuclear Plant: meltdown changes recreated for Mac
• Constructing a cleaner/safer Power Plant in a city will now remove any existing ones

Wonders
• Number of World Wonders that can be built in a city is now capped by its culture level

Units
• Fixed unit upkeep problems introduced in the previous beta (but not Mercenaries civic yet)

Terrain
• Fallout: now causes 1 unhealthiness (formerly 0.5)

Improvements
• Camps: +1 commerce bonus now at Rifling (formerly Gunpowder)
• Farms: new +1 food bonus at Crop Rotation
• Forts: now clear terrain features when built

Maps
• Earth (Large): removed, similar size but inferior to Earth (Huge)
• Eurasia (Massive): removed, too many memory issues
• Middle East (Small): removed, prefer to maintain just one Middle East map

Mapsizes
• Giant: slighty larger, balanced better
• Massive: removed, too many memory issues
• Increased default number of starting civs for each mapsize (except Duel)
• Mapscripts can no longer deviate from the defined size (could lead to MAFs)

Interface
• City Screen: now displays National and World Wonder limits
• City Screen: Ethnicity bar tooltip shows cultural revolt chance again
• City Screen: Dissent Bar colours now behave more like other progress bars
• Espionage Advisor: fixed an error when selecting a civ with no known cities
• World Builder: updated to PlatyBuilder 4.17b
• World Builder: fixed Edit Unit problem introduced in the previous beta

Misc
• Ancient Era games now start with a Warrior instead of a Scout
• Fixed an error when checking Religion dissent
• Several technical fixes and optimizations​

Known Issues

• [WINDOWS] Adopting the Mercenaries civic does strange things to unit upkeep
  • [WINDOWS] Mitigation of unhealthiness from Hospitals and the Sustainability civic is not working.
  • [WINDOWS] Trade Route Culture from K-Mod is active but not shown in the UI. Trade Route Culture from HR is also active and is shown in the UI. Still figuring out how to best to handle this.
  • New leaders don't have accurate start positions on most maps yet.

K-Mod (Windows only)
• Great Artist: culture from Great Works now scales properly with era

Buildings
• Constructing a cleaner/safer Power Plant in a city will now remove any existing ones

Wonders
• Number of World Wonders that can be built in a city is now capped by its culture level

Three great changes from my POV, looking forward for official release :D

K-Mod (Windows only)

Buildings

What that mean? When i build solar or water, then i cannot build coal an nuclear? Or all them?

K-Mod (Windows only)

Wonders
D
That mean i cannot have 20 wonders in one city?

What that mean? When i build solar or water, then i cannot build coal an nuclear? Or all them?

The priority is Solar > Hydro > Nuclear > Gas > Coal. So if you have a Gas Plant in your city and you build a Hydro Plant, the Gas Plant is removed and any ill effects with it. Lower priority Power Plants are not removed from your build options though, so you can (re)build them should you need to.

That mean i cannot have 20 wonders in one city?

Correct (unless you're playing One City Challenge). You can have 1 World Wonder in a city with Poor culture, 2 with Fledgling, and so on, up to 6 at Legendary culture. Shrines count, Corporate HQs do not.

Here a couple of saved games:

The first one, I'm being able to build a water well in a city (Onaquaga) despite it's on a tile adjacent to a river. I don't know if it's related to 1.24, but I think it's the first time I see this bug.

The second one, with the burmese civ (small size and continents map), there's a bug that only the opponent cities I'm able to see count to the city-counter on the bottom-right part of the screen. You can check yourself if you start a trade-dialogue with the swahilis (there you can see the real number of cities they own). I never had this before.
It's first time I play on continents map (I always was used to play on world map), I don't know if it's related.
Also in the same game, each time I go to Spearman unit on the civilopedia there's an instant crash.

I would say that I'm finding this game with the burmese too easy considering I'm playing on Immortal difficulty.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Water Well.CivBeyondSwordSave
    156.7 KB · Views: 76
  • burmese civ.CivBeyondSwordSave
    144.4 KB · Views: 125
in the pedia, when you hover on a resource that provides hammers, your have TXT_KEY_PROVIDE....
instead of text, i think your missing something :)

Fixed, cheers. Also fixed missing text when a resource is obsolete.

The first one, I'm being able to build a water well in a city (Onaquaga) despite it's on a tile adjacent to a river. I don't know if it's related to 1.24, but I think it's the first time I see this bug.

That bug's been around for a while. It's on my todo list, I just need to figure out how best to address it. It happens because the river check function doesn't check diagonal tiles (but the fresh water check function does).

The second one, with the burmese civ (small size and continents map), there's a bug that only the opponent cities I'm able to see count to the city-counter on the bottom-right part of the screen. You can check yourself if you start a trade-dialogue with the swahilis (there you can see the real number of cities they own). I never had this before.

It's a K-Mod change. On Windows unrevealed cities aren't listed or counted anywhere, but only in some places on Mac as places like the Trade dialogue require DLL changes. I'll have to have a think about how best to handle it.

Also in the same game, each time I go to Spearman unit on the civilopedia there's an instant crash.

Oops. Fixed for next beta.

I would say that I'm finding this game with the burmese too easy considering I'm playing on Immortal difficulty.

Let me know how it progresses in later eras.

Xyth, thanks again for this mod. Dissent is a great concept and requires careful trade-offs with the number of cities and civics involved.
The pollution from mines and towns is also great and quite accurate.

I played about 100 turns on a single player 1.24 (Knut, small fractal map, OS 10.8.5) and did not notice many issues.
The Culture dissent modifier does not appear in the city screen's dissent pop-up on mouse-over.

A multiplayer game without any other humans was laggy.
A true multiplayer test (Direct IP) either crashed outright or had OOS at start.
I thought out-of-sync is largely removed by K-Mod, although that may be on Windows.
Sorry logging was not enabled.

Hi Xyth,

here some things to fix.

I'm not able anymore to see my buildings list on the statistics section.

The world wonder cap is not working properly (I'm able to build more world wonders despite my city screen shows 4/4)

There's a behaviour I don't like from the AI: they do a lot of workboats even if they don't have tiles to work. In my last game it's been very extreme: a couple of civs with only 5 or 6 cities they have around 13-15 workboats with no task assigned.

Xyth, thanks again for this mod. Dissent is a great concept and requires careful trade-offs with the number of cities and civics involved.
The pollution from mines and towns is also great and quite accurate.

Thanks!

The Culture dissent modifier does not appear in the city screen's dissent pop-up on mouse-over.

Will be fixed in the next beta.

A multiplayer game without any other humans was laggy.
A true multiplayer test (Direct IP) either crashed outright or had OOS at start.

Were you trying multiplayer with another Mac or with a Windows system? If the latter, it won't work unless each Windows player removes the DLL for the duration of the game. Even then, there's probably some instability and/or OOS errors.

Mac to Mac multiplayer shouldn't be any less stable than 1.23 in theory, but I haven't done any multiplayer testing yet for this beta so I could well be wrong. Multiplayer testing is very time-consuming (and frustrating) so I tend to leave it till the end of the beta period, once everything is finalized in single player.

I thought out-of-sync is largely removed by K-Mod, although that may be on Windows.

K-Mod fixes most, if not all, OOS errors in Windows BTS. These cannot be fixed on Mac BTS. There may still be OOS errors caused by my custom code though, on either platform. I'm pretty sure Natural Wonders are causing one, for example. Best to switch them off in multiplayer till I solve it.

I'm not able anymore to see my buildings list on the statistics section.

Looks like I've messed that up somehow when merging K-Mod. The Info Screen is next on my list of screens to overhaul, so I'll take a look at this problem when I do.

The world wonder cap is not working properly (I'm able to build more world wonders despite my city screen shows 4/4)

Faulty logic in how I check for Corporation Headquarters, shall fix. I've made the same mistake in the code for the Hotel so I'll fix that too.

There's a behaviour I don't like from the AI: they do a lot of workboats even if they don't have tiles to work. In my last game it's been very extreme: a couple of civs with only 5 or 6 cities they have around 13-15 workboats with no task assigned.

Strange. Were those AI civs running Subsistence by any chance? Wondering if those bonuses are causing the AI to overvalue Workboats.

Strange. Were those AI civs running Subsistence by any chance? Wondering if those bonuses are causing the AI to overvalue Workboats.

Yes, both of them were running subsistence.

Let me tell another strange behaviour (but not really annoying) related to workboats: it seems the AI workboats are able to explore, while my workboats can not enter unexplored tiles.

Yes, both of them were running subsistence.

Let me tell another strange behaviour (but not really annoying) related to workboats: it seems the AI workboats are able to explore, while my workboats can not enter unexplored tiles.

I experienced the exact same thing-- several AI Civs had workboats running around the map. Also, the computer's "recommended" build for my own cities was often WORK BOAT when there was absolutely no need for one.

Played an entire game as Aelfred and experienced few problems. Also no real sign of that smarter AI-- playing on Mac is there any change to the AI, or is that only Windows?

Really like the new Espionage interface. Thanks for all the hard work once more.

I experienced the exact same thing-- several AI Civs had workboats running around the map. Also, the computer's "recommended" build for my own cities was often WORK BOAT when there was absolutely no need for one.

Is this something new in this beta or have you seen it in previous versions too?

Also no real sign of that smarter AI-- playing on Mac is there any change to the AI, or is that only Windows?

Windows only, aside from a few very minor tweaks.

Really like the new Espionage interface. Thanks for all the hard work once more.

Thanks!

Is this something new in this beta or have you seen it in previous versions too?
Exploring AI workboats is nothing new, I've been seeing those for as long as I can remember. I'm not sure why I never thought to report it as a bug, though. Oops.

Here's a couple minor ones I do have to report:

The volcanic eruption event is generating a Python exception.

And Aztec Eagle Warriors can still enslave units as Settlers on OCC mode (though fortunately those Settlers *cannot* found new cities).

Attachments

• Volcano Event.jpg
    Volcano Event.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 115
  • Enslaved Settler on OCC.jpg
    Enslaved Settler on OCC.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 105
I agree that exploring AI workboats is nothing new.

But what is new is this amount of not usable workboats. And it's getting worse, now in my game a civ with 5 cities is having around 20-25 workboats with no specific task assigned. (inmortal difficulty, on a Mac)

I agree that exploring AI workboats is nothing new.

But what is new is this amount of not usable workboats. And it's getting worse, now in my game a civ with 5 cities is having around 20-25 workboats with no specific task assigned. (inmortal difficulty, on a Mac)

Exploring AI workboats is nothing new, I've been seeing those for as long as I can remember. I'm not sure why I never thought to report it as a bug, though. Oops.

Please try the attached file for your next games, see if it reduces the problem at all. It goes in /History Rewritten/Assets/XML/Units/.

The volcanic eruption event is generating a Python exception.

And Aztec Eagle Warriors can still enslave units as Settlers on OCC mode (though fortunately those Settlers *cannot* found new cities).

Both fixed for next beta, thanks.

Attachments

• CIV4UnitInfos.xml.zip
    35.1 KB · Views: 98
Playing a new game, it seems there are less workboats now, but still I can see groups of 5 AI workboats with no assignation.

By the moment, I've not seen any AI explorer workboat.

I've found another bug: I've explored two tribal islands with hostile villagers, so it spawns barbarian pirates. The rare thing is they don't move: neither attack neither move to any direction, they keep forever in the same tile. Never before have seen this.

And I think I said it before: on my Mac laptop (13 inch) I'm not able to see all the "Info" screen (inside "Diplomatic"). I'm missing the Worship tenets.

Thanks

Playing a new game, it seems there are less workboats now, but still I can see groups of 5 AI workboats with no assignation.

By the moment, I've not seen any AI explorer workboat.

The adjustment I made in that file should prevent the AI from using Workboats to explore outright. Previously I assume making them unable to enter undiscovered tiles would prevent that like it does for human players, but apparently not. I also prevented them from stockpiling Workboats in reserve, but I have no idea if the AI was actually doing that or not. I'll look into what further adjustments need making later, once the civics and such are finalized.

I've found another bug: I've explored two tribal islands with hostile villagers, so it spawns barbarian pirates. The rare thing is they don't move: neither attack neither move to any direction, they keep forever in the same tile. Never before have seen this.

I'm guessing they've spawned on Ocean tiles and the Barbarians don't have the Compass tech yet. I'll have think about how best to solve this.

And I think I said it before: on my Mac laptop (13 inch) I'm not able to see all the "Info" screen (inside "Diplomatic"). I'm missing the Worship tenets.

There's a few problems with that screen. I intend to overhaul the entire Foreign Advisor eventually, so I'll fix it then. Not sure if that will be in 1.24 or not though.

Top Bottom