[Beyond the Sword] History In The Making

This mod needs to be updated to keep track of changes to RoM/AND and the modmods that go with it. When I try to start HitM, I get the messages that certain files in RoM are not loading and all I get is a weird map...

Hi,

As the title says, I got a problem with the Carters Earth for History in the Making map.

I have downloaded the HiTM mod but found the earth map small. So I opted for the Carters Earth map modification.

I have loaded the mod, selected customize game, selected the hitmearth map, seleted Vikings, the game loaded BUT;

I have been defeated before I could start to play the game... "sigh" Unpleasent really.
There are some problem messages on the screen, so I attached a copy of the screenshot.
It's not a CTD but nevertheless, I have a Win7 OS, 4 GB Ram (though for some reason I can only get out 3 GB regardless the motherboard should support up to 4 GB ram). Video card nvidia 7600 GO.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thank you.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 175
Problem with the "Carters Earth for History in the Making" map
Hi,

As the title says, I got a problem with the Carters Earth for History in the Making map.

I have downloaded the HiTM mod but found the earth map small. So I opted for the Carters Earth map modification.

I have loaded the mod, selected customize game, selected the hitmearth map, seleted Vikings, the game loaded BUT;

I have been defeated before I could start to play the game... "sigh" Unpleasent really.
There are some problem messages on the screen, so I attached a copy of the screenshot.
It's not a CTD but nevertheless, I have a Win7 OS, 4 GB Ram (though for some reason I can only get out 3 GB regardless the motherboard should support up to 4 GB ram). Video card nvidia 7600 GO.

Thank you.

First of all I have to say amazing mod! Much better than original BTS in my opinion.

Now ehm, I have a minor problem. I wanna play a really really massive Earth map with History in the making. I'm talking something like 240x140 or so size with all available civilizations (38 or however many there are). I tried taking the Earth map from Earth 35civs mod (which is really well made imo) but I had no clue how to make it work in HITM. So if anybody happens to know any good blank Earth maps (just the terrain + resources) that I can use for HITM, that'd be awesome. Also, I'd love to know what exactly I have to modify to allow myself to play with more than 24 civs :)

Thanks in advance :)

I apologize if this problem is elsewhere i HAVE looked in the faq and readmes, I HAVE NOT gone thru 181 pages of forum.

I get the attached error when trying to load the mod during the XML phase, followed by other errors then a repeat error that loops so I must kill CIV4 in task manager. I apologize in advance if this is a simple already dealt with problem. I am working off of a old HITM install(which i deleted), I have re-installed, I have a good install file size.

WIN XP SP3,

Thank you.

Attachments

• HITMerror.bmp
    291.6 KB · Views: 97
I apologize if this problem is elsewhere i HAVE looked in the faq and readmes, I HAVE NOT gone thru 181 pages of forum.

I get the attached error when trying to load the mod during the XML phase, followed by other errors then a repeat error that loops so I must kill CIV4 in task manager. I apologize in advance if this is a simple already dealt with problem. I am working off of a old HITM install(which i deleted), I have re-installed, I have a good install file size.

WIN XP SP3,

Thank you.

Have you cleaned the cache?

yeah, I got it working. I did a full removal, then complete re-install. I had a whack of other mods installed, and had only one install since I got vanilla years ago so this is better now. I just got CIV4 complete anyway since it was on for 19.99. Have not tried HITM on it yet, hopefully it will work fine.

TY for your help.

p.s. does the holding of shift during loading have a complete effect when it comes to clearing cache?

Sorry if this has been addressed in the previous 181 pages, but..yeah..181 pages. =/

I've enabled 'Archer Bombard', but it never hits; and I mean NEVER. Siege weapons work fine, but archer units are never successful. I looked in the 'GlobalDefinesAlt' file and saw a note about a default value. I've tried decreasing and increasing this value with no results.

Anybody else run into this?

BTW: This mod owns. Even though I've pre-ordered CIV5, I'm still giddy about this game/mod. Thanks a ton for all your work!

I'm new and the reason I here is I'm having a little trouble with this great mod.

Every once in awhile when Hitler (or anyone else for that matter) is asking for the tenth time to stop trading/go to war with someone else, or just trying to bum a tech or resource from me, the game CTD and it says something about the graphics overloading or something. Though the crash is completely random and I've been able to load back up and pass the same trade screen with no problems, but like I said it happens randomly, about every 2 hours on average. :mad:
I've tried smaller maps (from the biggest size to the second biggest size to the third biggest), Taking the improved graphics mod out and even tried playing as admin (Windows Vista 32) with no success at beating this crash. :(
Sorry for rambling and the shear size of this thread is too much for me to sift through to check for similar problems. :blush:

Here are my Computer specs:
Vista 32
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual - Core TK - 55, ~1.8 GHz
2.5 GB RAM
?Page File: 1078MB used, 4146 MB available?
DirectX 10
:cry: NVIDIA GeForce 7150M / nForce 630M (Approx. Total Memory 1049 MB) :cry:

Got these specs from dxdiag hope it helps and thanks in advance. :goodjob:

ps
I'd submit a save but like I said the crash happens randomly, I can usually get past the bump after reloading but that's a pain and starting to hamper one of the best civ experiences I've had.

Hi,

Thank you.

Just to be sure, did you make any changes to the mod?

I think this thread is dead. The Mod maker, Grave, hasn't posted on CFC since March 13th. His homepage, www.gravelink.net isn't up anymore. I know he is in the US Air Force so he may be on deployment. He may return in the future, but for now he is MIA. Unless someone else has anymore/better info. I think NBAfan was babysitting this thread for awhile. He might know something. Send him a private message, he may be able to provide help or info.

Hi,

Thank you.
Disable UAC or run Civ4 as Administrator.

After much research on the site I realize how absurd I sounded on my last thread...
MAFs, CTDs and I even got a couple obscure errors that haven't cropped up since the first couple patches for vanilla Civ (at least from what I saw).
My conclusion is that hey, these MODs are meant for higher end machines, period. Sucks to get sucked in on something you can't play only to have to go back to the original game (like settling for vanilla ice cream after a taste at a nice coffee flavor).
Even though this is my second post and I really didn't get a direct response, (looks like cause the thread is dead) I must say the community here is pretty impressive, you guys try and go to the ends of the earth to solve problems that shouldn't have been there in the first place *cough* firaxis *cough* 2k games.
Of course this sounds like I'm giving up, not true. I'm playing turn by turn, saving after just about every move. But the polygons just keep adding up.
All I can say now is I hope they learned their lesson this time around, especially after hounding all day long about how 5 will be more MODtastic then ever before. :nuke:

You should be able to run the mod if you get more RAM. Most mods that add a lot are quite taxing on a computer with Civ4's outdated ineffcent engine.

I think this thread is dead. The Mod maker, Grave, hasn't posted on CFC since March 13th. His homepage, www.gravelink.net isn't up anymore. I know he is in the US Air Force so he may be on deployment. He may return in the future, but for now he is MIA. Unless someone else has anymore/better info. I think NBAfan was babysitting this thread for awhile. He might know something. Send him a private message, he may be able to provide help or info.

It's true... I haven't been on in quite a while. To be honest, I haven't even played up Civ4 in several months. I have no plans on updating History in the Making anymore. Besides, I didn't think HiTM would still have a following. Glad to see my mod still has fans! :goodjob:

I'm new and the reason I here is I'm having a little trouble with this great mod.

Every once in awhile when Hitler (or anyone else for that matter) is asking for the tenth time to stop trading/go to war with someone else, or just trying to bum a tech or resource from me, the game CTD and it says something about the graphics overloading or something. Though the crash is completely random and I've been able to load back up and pass the same trade screen with no problems, but like I said it happens randomly, about every 2 hours on average. :mad:
I've tried smaller maps (from the biggest size to the second biggest size to the third biggest), Taking the improved graphics mod out and even tried playing as admin (Windows Vista 32) with no success at beating this crash. :(
Sorry for rambling and the shear size of this thread is too much for me to sift through to check for similar problems. :blush:

Here are my Computer specs:
Vista 32
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual - Core TK - 55, ~1.8 GHz
2.5 GB RAM
?Page File: 1078MB used, 4146 MB available?
DirectX 10
:cry: NVIDIA GeForce 7150M / nForce 630M (Approx. Total Memory 1049 MB) :cry:

Got these specs from dxdiag hope it helps and thanks in advance. :goodjob:

ps
I'd submit a save but like I said the crash happens randomly, I can usually get past the bump after reloading but that's a pain and starting to hamper one of the best civ experiences I've had.

Sounds like you do not have enough RAM. Civ4 (and certainly HiTM doesn't help matters) is a massive RAM hog. I have 8GB or RAM in my system now, and it seems to play just fine... but when I only had 2GB, I would get frequent CTDs in the Modern Era (there's just too much going on around the map).

You should be able to run the mod if you get more RAM. Most mods that add a lot are quite taxing on a computer with Civ4's outdated ineffcent engine.

Thanks for babysitting this thread for me! I have a proposition for any modders out there:

If anybody would like to "fix" some of the bugs left over in HiTM, update any of the individual modcomps (Better AI, BUG Mod, etc) or add additional things to HiTM (Civs, units, buldings, etc), by all means... GO FOR IT!!!!!

I have no problems with other modders carrying on my work. I think HiTM is an excellent mod, and I would love to see somebody "carry the torch" so to speak. The only request I have is to make is this:
Any "fixes", "updates", or "additions" must be a seperate download from HiTM itself. You cannot combine any 3rd party content with HiTM v4.00 into a single download. Basically, you must download HiTM first, and then download 3rd party content afterwards.

For example:

- Download and install History in the Making v4.00
- Download and install any official HiTM updates
- Download any 3rd party content (fixes, updates, additions)

Besides... Civ 5 is just around the corner. :mischief:

It's true... I haven't been on in quite a while. To be honest, I haven't even played up Civ4 in several months. I have no plans on updating History in the Making anymore. Besides, I didn't think HiTM would still have a following. Glad to see my mod still has fans!
Glad to see your not MIA anymore. :)

Top Bottom