[Beyond the Sword] History In The Making

Well the real fix would obviously be to get more RAM and/or 64 bit OS, but I seemed to stumble on a weird fix by accident.
As I stated earlier I would have frequent crashes to desktop (mostly MAFs) as early as the Middle Ages Era on a large map. So like any stubborn and broke player I roamed around on the site to see if there was anything I could do to help the problem. I set increaseuserVA to 3072 along with the exe. file edit to bypass the 2GB threshold, edited the ini. file to run BTS in the simplest form possible, updated my video card and all other kinds of crazy would be fixes to no real avail.
So I gave up, but I loved the BUG MOD included in this MOD so much that I decided to settle with regular BTS and the Better BUG AI MOD directly. When I installed the MOD it asked if I wanted to create a desktop shortcut for it and judging on the convenient nature of the request I did just that, and here's where the "fix" comes into play.
I started the game USING THAT SHORTCUT and loaded my large map HiTM save I kept and the game has been running smooth ever since. I really don't understand why this is and I've only gotten up to the Industrial Era (but the map is completely discovered with many hundreds of units running around, over 300 in my civ alone) but again, I have had NO crashes whatsoever when it would happen about every 5 to 10 turns before...
Don't know if this 1) Makes sense 2) Can work for anyone else and 3) Even matters anyway. But I'd like for someone to try this out that has been experiencing the same type of problems or explain what could possible be happening that helps the game run along :hmm:
ps: I do get a crash if I leave the game idle for a couple hours with a memsaver error, but I suspect that is from turning on MemSaver in the ini.
pps: I did reinstall the entire game along with all the other stuff I mentioned up top.
Sorry for the long post, but maybe (but I really don't know what I talking about) this might help somebody else. :D

Would you please post the contents of your shortcut so that I can duplicate it?

This is the shortcut I use to open BTS (Better BUG AI MOD Shortcut, don't know how to attach it to the tread). It bypasses the intro stuff and movie and goes right to the title screen. What I do is select single player, then I select load and slect my HitM save and it askes me to load that MOD like normal. It loads normally and I haven't see any errors since I've loaded with this shortcut.
Sorry bout not replying sooner I've been busy.

Has Grave said anything about making this for Civ 5? I know I saw a post where he commented about Civ 5, but didnt say if he was going to remake this.

Dunno if feedback is still appreciated but did I see it wrong or are horse archers in every way equal to horsemen besides that they cost less hammers and defend better against spearmen? ;o Thanks though it was a fun game and worked perfect for me ;D

Why are number of civs limited to only 24!? And how do I change it? :confused: I thought the days with a limited number of civs in mods were a thing of the past (since there only were 18 civs to begin with) Im a hardcore play-yourself-nutty-by-choosing-all-civs-on-a-big-map kind of guy and this was a real gamebreaker for me...:sad:

Why are number of civs limited to only 24!? And how do I change it? :confused: I thought the days with a limited number of civs in mods were a thing of the past (since there only were 18 civs to begin with) Im a hardcore play-yourself-nutty-by-choosing-all-civs-on-a-big-map kind of guy and this was a real gamebreaker for me...:sad:

You can change the number of players in the SDK, so you need to compile an new DLL.

Too bad that i have neither the knowledge or the time to do that. :sad:

Oh well, besides that, the mod is impressive from what i've seen. Some quirky designchanges like Bollywood and Hitler having Judaism as his favourite religion (that i did fix though :D), but all in all this mod really delivers the goods. Thump up. :goodjob:

Hello friends!
Could anybody explain to me please what exactly does the Improvise N ("Free Preparation bonus") promotion (5 steps in it) with the spies in HiTM mean?
Does it decrease the espionage points spent on missions or increase the income and effects dealt by them or something else?
There is no explanation about it in the pedia in the corresponding section and the very term "free preparation" sounds too dim to extract the correct sense of it
I've understood all the stuff in the mod except this point (

Thanks and sorry my english

I need a bit of help, I downloaded the mod today and installed it, wiped the game cache, and tried to load the mod through Civ 4. The game closes as per normal, but then does not load up again. I have tried looking through the readmes and searched the forum but can't really find anything.
I am running on windows 7 and have the "complete" version of the game (Civ 4+ warlords + bts on one cd).

I probably should add that I have patched the game, seen as that was the only suggestion I got when I asked some friends.

Same problem than nato2101. Reload a game always give me a CTD, except with the first savegame, like at -4000BC or something like that. Windows 7 + 3 cds (vanilla + war + bts) + patches. All others mods work perfectly well (rise of mankind, etc). Obviously, the game without reload possibility is just unplayable. Too bad because this mod has a very good flavor...

Why is Hitler's favorite religion Judaism? That's pretty ironic. It should be Christian as he was raised that way.

-Yes, Adolph Hitler was a Roman Catholic, as per Mein Kampf. Before the invasion of Poland he signed an agreement with the Pope to officially promote Catholicism in Germany on the understanding that the Catholic church would stay out of German politics.

I really lol'd at the second UB for the Dutch, coffeeshop. I still dunno, what way around it is, because in dutch, a coffeeshop is a drugstore :p

Anyway, I hate ciV :mad: , so I'm now downloading HiTM. Thanks for making this.

Top Bottom