1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[Beyond the Sword] History In The Making

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Modpacks' started by Grave, Jun 10, 2007.

1. DrewBledsoe

DrewBledsoe Veteran QB

I'm partly wondering if some folks have installed to the wrong directory, and that is causing problems in some cases. As Grave has said completely delete everything to do with HiTM before installing v 1.05. Then when asked where you want to install HiTM, install to

C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\mods

this is the default path for most people.

Then go into HISTORY IN THE MAKING.ini

C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\HISTORY IN THE MAKING\HISTORY IN THE MAKING.ini

and change this line

# ; Allow public maps to be used with this mod
    AllowPublicMaps = 0

just change the 0 to a 1 and save the file.

If you do this, hopefully it may help (for some people)....

2. Grave

Grave 1 Goat = 400 Horses

What size map? Even with my rig, it still takes like 5 minutes to load a Planetary size map.

Just be patient with it. If you have an older/slowe computer, it will take longer to load a map. Just be patient. As long as the game doesn't crash, or the music doesn't stop... you're fine.

Insane heal from forest tiles?

Explain this one to me. :)

I agree. I think it's in the wrong folder.

I certainly hope people are installing the mod into the correct directory. I made it virtually fool proof not to. And if people are still installing it to the My Documents directory or renaming the HISTORY IN THE MAKING folder to something different, then they're wrong. I don't know how I can make the installation procedure any simpler, really. I thought I made it very clear in the installation procedure where to install the mod to. You even have to click on "I agree" in order to proceed! :lol:

Hopefully....

3. seitan2102

seitan2102 Chieftain

I did that too, changed to custom map usage through the .ini file. Still, game crushes when first city is built, no matter the civilization used, no matter map type and size.

It' s installed correctly. That, i' m quite sure. Only thing i did not do isto clear the cache which i don't seem to find in Windows Vista.

Any further advice?

4. Edward The Big

Edward The Big Bob Crane's Tripod

I assume that in Vista you have "Show Hidden Files" checked?

5. seitan2102

seitan2102 Chieftain

Yap. I guess it propably isn't there as of a brand new install made. Don't think that's it. After all, too many people get CDTs as of building their first city. I' m still trying to figure it out configurin xml files but i don't get even close.

6. DrewBledsoe

DrewBledsoe Veteran QB

Grave:- On the "insane health" that someone mentioned, I know what he means....

Its Mylon's mod, its not working as you intended, couple of screenshots to illustrate problems....

First hmmm minorish but still....

Gandhi's guys have mined this hill 3tiles out of Delhi, even though it isn't being used by any city (and can't be used by Delhi for millenia upon millenia and even then only if it becomes Legendary.) The ai obviously thinks thats within its city limits. In fact that can and will cause large problems, if the ai is improving "pointless" tiles. It may eventually fall within another city's radius (normal 2 tile fat cross), but that would just be a happy accident.

The second. is that the game is counting all the tiles within 3 of a city as "within that cities limits"...look at Ulundi's health count from forests +10 :lol: !

This again will be unbalancing, as a few well placed forests can serve several cities at once, and falsely boost health in each city...

EDIT: From a cursory exam of the files, I don't understand why the program seems to think that ALL cities have a "3 tile fat cross" for health and maybe other purposes as soon as the city is built. I checked a few other cities in my game example and this was the case...

In fact, for Ulundi in the screenshot to have +10:health: from forests, it would have to have 20 forests even within a 3 tile radius. It doesn't, so something isn't right at all....

EDIT 2: From a quick look at Mylon's original mod, it may be counting tiles 4 from a city center for health and probably other purposes, this would account for the 20 forests...

EDIT (The Last): You may wish to see this comment http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=6451846&postcount=22

7. Kalimakhus

Kalimakhus Emperor

@Drew

The linked post is from Mylon's modpack. This wasn't updated yet. The modcomp is updated though.

I have noticed the odd behavior of the AI as well. Also the hint circles that appears when your worker is selected show that the code thinks that up to four tiles away from the city are workable.

I haven't noticed the health from forests (good catch!!)

8. snipperrabbit!!

snipperrabbit!! Deity

hrochland did something like this. He can help you, I think.

9. Mylon

Mylon Amateur Game Designer

I took a peak and noticed my name being mentioned. I tried to make my mod a "minimalist" approach, but it seems I need to change all of the references to NUM_CITY_PLOTS as I had thought. Too much relies on it, like health from forests and worker AI.

10. maxbjr

maxbjr Warlord

I think the CTD from building the 1st city comes from something in Mylon's modpack. I installed Mylon's modpack alone, and got the same CTD that I did from Beyond the sword 1.5

11. Edward The Big

Yep, I just played about 50 turns in a new game...No CTD, but when I stopped to look at the city screen, the Health was totally out of whack. Diseased! (No pun intended)

I would vote to remove Mylon's Mod for the next version (Not that I have a vote)...If there is a way to disable/remove it from this version, I'd be willing to do that.

12. trevort

trevort Corporal of Marines

Yes!!! Light at the end of the "No HiTM V1.5 Tunnel". Maybe.

13. Edward The Big

Hopefully it is easy to remove said Mod...I suppose it is tied to how much XML would need to be changed.

Either way, I'm glad I kept 1.04....:cool:

14. dasvidania

dasvidania Warlord

When i select custom game and "perfect world" as map i have a message in initializing phase:

Can't find map script:
    PerfectWorld.py
    Generating empy map...

Then i press OK button but the game stays in the same state for a long temp.

I use WinXP and installation path is C:\Documents and Settings\D&M\Dati applicazioni\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods

Does someone have the same problem?.
    Thanks at all and a great thanks a Grave for his work.

15. Canabrava

Canabrava Prince

One report:

Transport Helicoter is working?

For me, i can not load any ground unit. Is this just for me?

16. bloodhawk

bloodhawk Anything but Chieftain

I noticed your readme says that having Warlords installed is required to run the mod. I never bought Warlords, and I've been running HitM fine since .01, so I thought you might want to correct that.

17. bcr1776

bcr1776 Warlord

What he said!!!:goodjob: :lol:

18. Hyronymus

Hyronymus Troop leader

I think I fixed this for you! I ran into the same error but it magically disappeared when I renamed my mods directory from HiTM to HISTORY IN THE MAKING. Haven't checked with mixed/lower case but I expect it works fine as long as the name is "original".

19. snipperrabbit!!

snipperrabbit!! Deity

Personnal wish : I would like much to see a third city radius as a wonder effect.

20. Drew77

Drew77 Chieftain

Grave first of all thanks alot for all the work you put into this mod I really like it. But there is just one thing that I would like to know. I want to start a new game but is there anyway I can play the giant earth map and be the American empire instead of natives and have more the 17 civs? If there if please let me know I would really like to start a new game. And when I play I like to play the conquest and domination victory. So please help me out THANKS.