1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

BMP to WBS Converter

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Utility Programs' started by Rhye, Oct 31, 2005.

1. tbear2520

tbear2520 Warlord

My signature below has a link to the map I created using this convertor from this thread. There was and is a learning curve but this utility proves to be a great assistance.

Granted it took me some manual editing of bitmaps in order for colors to properly sort for various little things that were difficult to extract out based on color, but that's more of an issue with the maps and not the convertor.

2. tbear2520

tbear2520 Warlord

One of the hardest parts about trying to make an acurate map is placing resources. Well I came across the site below.

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/israel.html

It helped me a lot in the locating natural resources for the map\scenario I am creating. See my signature for more information. I just thought I would share this site with those that might need it.

3. vladeo

vladeo Chieftain

I have a problem that falls into the mountain problem category I guess. There are mountains all where the ocean should be on my map.

4. vladeo

vladeo Chieftain

Nevermind. I feel so stupid. I didn't use the right color for the ocean. I guess I dont have the same mountain problem after all.

5. Good Sauce

Good Sauce (TM)

all I get are mountains, great concept for a tool, but it seems you need to be a programer to get it to work...
    I've just been trying to get the height map to work and using 'blank' for the other, still mountains. resized one pixel per game tile, still mountains... i give up.

6. Jon Shafer

Jon Shafer Civilization 5 Designer

Can you post the images you're working from Good Sauce?

7. Good Sauce

Good Sauce (TM)

Well after I gave up i scrapped all the old images i was trying to use. Of course I'm stubborn and can't truly give up on anything so frustrating... I got hr_oskar's BMPs hoping they would work. Tried to make a map of Denmark, instead of mountains I got ocean this time though with coast outlines. It seems to place ocean and coast okay, but when I open the WBS as a text all the squares that should be grassland have terrain=none. I'm using corel paint shop pro X (trial) as my image editor (if it has a resizing tool without anti-aliasing i can't find it, the 5 on the list it has all change some pixels colors). the BMP I used and the resulting WBS are atached.
    edit: it's not letting me upload the WBS... [shrug]

Attached Files:

8. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

very simple answer. you are using just 1 bitmap! You need one for heights, one for terrains, one for features at least. And you might want to add the ones for rivers and for resources.

9. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

the 4th will resize by pixel

10. Good Sauce

Good Sauce (TM)

hm, well I kinda feel like a moron now. Got it working, but still having some hiccups, good program but it's got one hell of a learning curve if you dont have experince with image editing. In the PDF it said once you had the height map you could skip the others, thats where my problem came from.

11. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

oh, well the height map is the minimum necessary to make it work, not to make a good map...

12. Grohan

Grohan Bug-hunter

The help file says that I should turn anti-aliasing off but I have no idea how to do that with GIMP :(

13. Grohan

Grohan Bug-hunter

If any of you don't know how to do that with GIMP, I guess that help for any other image editing program is sufficient too. I'm just so impatient to see if my map works in the game :)

14. alex9988

alex9988 Chieftain

Mmhhh... the link doesnt work for me, it says file not found or something.... HELP

15. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

16. jawz92

jawz92 Chieftain

I have a problem when im launching the Empty scenario.. It says in the tutorial that two windows should open up, but the only thing that happens is that a doswindow comes up for like a second, but then nothing more.. Is there anything u can do to fix it?

Thx :p

17. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

There's nothing to fix, the program works perfectly.
    try to read what's written in the dosbox to understand what you are doing wrong

18. Osymandias

Osymandias Grand King of Apes

i think you haven't installed python
    you need it to work with the tool

19. Jieff

Jieff Chieftain

I'll try this here first even if the last reply is quite old.

I would like to use the converter so as to make warlords map instead of vanilla.

Anybody thinks it's possible?

20. Osymandias

Osymandias Grand King of Apes

in principle you just have to rename the ending from *.Civ4WorldBuilderSave to *.CivWarlordsWBSave.

but a dropdown to choose it would nevertheless be nice.