Bob Corker helped Republicans get the tax bill to the finish line, then they abandoned him

FriendlyFire

Codex WMDicanious
Welp
How soon before Collins and Johnson get the same treatment ? The interesting thing is when the debt ballons because of this the GOP game plan is to start cutting spending. I actually dont mind that the GOP slash medicare and social security

But dont worry these tax cuts will pay for themselves.

Bob Corker helped Republicans get the tax bill to the finish line, then they abandoned him

At the time, Corker said he believed Senate leaders were committed to adding a “trigger” to the bill, which would force automatic tax increases if projections of economic growth fell short. “After agreeing in principle with Senate leadership, members of the finance committee, and the administration on a trigger mechanism to ensure greater fiscal responsibility should economic growth estimates not be realized, I voted today to advance this important piece of legislation,” Corker said in a statement after voting the bill out of the Senate Budget Committee. “While we are still working to finalize the details, I am encouraged by our discussions.”

But after the bill cleared the budget committee, the Senate parliamentarian ruled the “trigger” idea was not in keeping with the special Senate procedures the GOP is trying to use to use to pass the measure with just 50 votes, and the idea was dropped.

Corker had hoped to find another way to add more tax revenue back into the bill and shrink its deficit gap, but conservatives balked at that plan. And on Friday morning, Corker's top ally in the deficit hawk coalition — Sen. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.) — said he'd support the measure, leaving Corker alone.

He has been adamant for months that the Republican bill not balloon the federal debt. “I came here because of fiscal concerns. I’ve seen no real movement, matter of fact probably negative movement, as it relates to deficit issues,” Corker said earlier this week in the face of intense intraparty pressure to support the tax bill. “And what I don’t want to do is be a part of something where I’m knowingly involved in making that situation worse.”

But with Sens. Susan Collins (R-Maine), Ron Johnson (R-Wis.) and Flake now supporting the bill, McConnell is expressing confidence it will pass on Friday night.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...en-they-abandoned-him/?utm_term=.4ed862dd582a

Good for him for trying to make a principled stand but in the end, principles be damned, he's still going to vote for this tax hike.

A number of Republicans in the house did as well. Given its widespread unpopularity, which is almost certain to get nothing but worse, bipartisan opposition was to be expected.

Trump is working to pack the Fed with conservatives. That ups the odds of recession and failure to get the growth expected.

To be fair an automatic tax hike in response to slow growth is a terrible idea.

To be fair an automatic tax hike in response to slow growth is a terrible idea.

Depends.
If it taxes money that's just lying around to finance a stimulus package, it's a pretty good idea.
If the tax hike is regressive, it can be good or bad depending on your objective.
If your goal is to increase growth and make most people better off, it is a terrible idea.
If your goal is to create a society where Peter Thiel and Robert Mercer can have you killed if you walk past them without bowing low enough and calling them "my lord", it is a terrific idea.

Top Bottom