Brainstorm changes in the tech tree

Cacaso

Warlord
Observing the tech tree, I noticed some inconsistencies in the technologies and the benefits they generate (constructions, wonders, units ...), I would like to discuss with you some possible modifications.

I was recently playing the MOD "history rewritten" and as it has the same tech tree style, I think it would be a good source of ideas for modifications to the DoC tech tree, and since it is already a MOD it would make it easier to find the image / text of the civilopedia.

first the list of benefits (wonders, constructions, units ...) that I think disconnected with tech, with possible relocation suggestions:

1- In tech "writing" - it is strange that the wonder Dujiangyan is in written tech (this wonder could be moved to "construction" or another tech, since wonder is a channel, it doesn't make sense to stay on "written" tech, "construction" tech is also interesting to Civ China because of the wonder great wall so it doesn't change much in gameplay).

2- In the "arithmetic" tech - the wonder Terracotta army would fit better in the "Ceremony" tech (since it is a ceremonial burial of an army of the Chinese emperor). A suggestion, exchange “arithmetic” tech by “record keeping” tech from MOD "history rewritten", the prerequisite would be the tech "property" and it's research will allow the techs "Literature / contract / mathematics"

3- In tech "contract" - the unit skirmisher could be relocated to tech "alloys" as the use of this type of troops was common in the bronze and iron era

4 - In tech "mathematics" - the ability to "enable building bridges" could be moved to the tech "fortification" to represent that the most massive construction of bridges only occurred in the Middle Ages or later.

5 - In tech "academia" - the wonder "blue mosque" could be moved to tech "patronage" (the mosque was built during the rule of Ahmed I, and funded by him)

6- In tech "logistics" - the wonders "Red Fort" and "Itsukushima Shrine" could be moved to the techs "Gunpowder" and "Heritage" (the two wonders do not seem to fit the logistics tech)

7 - In tech "biology" - unit dragoon could be moved to tech "nationalism".

8 - In tech "microbiology" - unit cavalry could be moved to tech "ballistics"

now the list of tech that could be added (based on the tech tree of MOD " history rewritten ":

1- "plumbing", Classical age - could create a "plumbing" tech to place the aqueduct building and hanging gardens wonder

2- "fertilizer", industrial age - could create a "fertilizer" tech to reveal the guano resource, allow farms improvement in semidesert tiles.

3- "photography", industrial age - could create a tech "photography" bring back wonder Brodway, start spawn of "Luxury industry" corporation.

4- "telephone / telegraph", industrial age - could create a tech "telephone / telegraph" to maintain diplomatic contact with all other CIVs (this could be a free passive skill just for researching the technology or a "telegraph connection" project similar to what were embassies in previous versions) another effect is to add a national wonder "telephone Network" = +1 trade in all cities / + 25% trade with rubber resource / + 25% trade with copper, similar ao MOD "history rewritten"

5- "pharmaceuticals", industrial age - could create a tech "pharmaceuticals" allows the promotion "medic 3" and a building that gives health, technologically more advanced (“ITU - Intensive Therapy Unit” as a suggestion, requiring a hospital in the city)

6- "charter/ letter of marque", renaissance - could create a tech "charter/ letter of marque" would enable the spawn of the "trading company" corporation, allow the "privateer" unit

listing possible additions/suggestions:

1 - In tech "mining" - As it only has one effect which is to allow mine improvement, I could add a building "water well" that gives +1 food or +1 health.

2 - In tech "Feudalism" - if convenient, it can be divided into two tech "land tenure / warrior code"

3- In tech "rifling" - it could be the tech that allows rifleman and cavalry units

4- In tech "healthcare" - it could be the tech that allows building hospital and national wonder Red Cross

5- In tech "synthetics" - if convenient, it can be divided into two tech "synthetics / plastics" and also "explosives" (which would be tech to allow units tank and battleship)

6 - In tech "Particle physics" - if convenient, it can be used as one of the tech related to the science win at the end of the tech tree

7 - In tech "refining / synthetics" - if convenient, it can use the national wonder "Refinery" from MOD "history rewritten", the art is really well done and would make good synergy with oil resources.

this text I made serves as a starting point for discussing possible changes and improvements to the tech tree. Feel free to make comments. Then, I will try to make an attempt to create a new tech tree, to see if it is possible to fit these and other suggestions.

already apologize for the image quality / translation errors because i did a simple edit with Paint and did the translation on google translator.

Sem título 1.png

Last edited:
The DoC tech tree is based on the HR tech tree, deviations from it were deliberate. There is tons of discussion from way back when that you can look into if you want context.

I prepared an image of a tech tree modification suggestion: basically I added the techs: rifling, fertilizer, telephone / telegraph, photography, explosives, pharmaceuticals.

Rifling - I added the rifleman and cavalry units, plus the effect, +1 gold for camp.

Fertilizer - +1 food in farms, in the future it can have the effects: reveals guano resource, allows farms improvements in semi-desert / steppe.

telephone / telegraph - maintain diplomatic contact with all other CIVs (this could be a free passive skill just for researching the technology or a "telegraph connection" project similar to what were embassies in previous versions).

photography - bring back wonder Brodway, start spawn of "Luxury industry" corporation.

explosives - added units tank and battleship, in addition to the wonder "nobel prize"

pharmaceuticals - allows the promotion "medic 3", red cross in the future may have a building that gives health, technologically more advanced ("ITU - Intensive Therapy Unit" as a suggestion, requiring a hospital in the city).

I focused on the later part of the game, especially in the industrial / global era, to better fill that part of the gameplay. I believe that increasing the global and digital age a little would be interesting. Trying to set up a tech tree I can see for myself, as it is not easy. Thus, these modifications remain only as suggestions for eventual changes in the tech tree when the large map is implemented.
Sem título teste.png

If you want to make suggestions, please take prior discussion into account.

OK Alright. I apologize for the insistence. using the search tool I could find these links

https://forums.civfanatics.com/sear...date&c/201title_only▪=1&c/201node/201=452+535

on which of these threads would I better post these discussions / suggestions on possible changes to the MOD DoC tech tree?
Again I apologize for having created this thread, but before I did not know how to use the search tool properly, so I can delete this one and forward the text to another thread, to avoid flooding.

Top Bottom