Brazilia Leader and faction info

Yep, he looks like the king of badasses
Now let's hope that there isn't indeed a German Federation, it would be the Brasilia's worst enemy :rolleyes:

How I love the world cup... :mischief:

Rejinaldo Leonardo Pedro Bolivar de Alencar-Araripe... His name in the article is strange.

A typical Portuguese (and Latin American) name is composed of one or two given names, and two family names. I thought Rejinaldo Leonardo Pedro is supposed to be names but three names?

Seems like Rejinaldo Bolivar de Alencar-Araripe is more in line with today's custom. Rejinaldo is a name, Bolivar is other name (supposed that it become a given name). Alencar and Araripe is probably his family names.

BTW, Anyone with decent writing skill can write an backstory of South American successful, but I would not impress by it if it's have no effect on his personality and faction in-game. Anyway, He doesn't look visually intimidating to me.

I came in to make a World Cup reference, see I am beaten to it, and will leave dejected.

Good to see another faction revealed, though.

Probably first time I ninja'd someone. :woohoo:

I fear one can never be too late for that. Not in the coming weeks, years, decades... ;)

A comment in Facebook said : It's better to lose one world cup than two world war. // :confused:
So I am sure as long as people can dig up other's humiliating things. It will not get old.

Rejinaldo Leonardo Pedro Bolivar de Alencar-Araripe... His name in the article is strange.

A typical Portuguese (and Latin American) name is composed of one or two given names, and two family names. I thought Rejinaldo Leonardo Pedro is supposed to be names but three names?

Seems like Rejinaldo Bolivar de Alencar-Araripe is more in line with today's custom. Rejinaldo is a name, Bolivar is other name (supposed that it become a given name). Alencar and Araripe is probably his family names..

2 things
1. it is 200 years in the future.. after Brazil has joined with a number of other latin american states for some cultural fusion

2. it may be a degree of monarchic quality, more names=more titles/more power

Bolivar is an obvious title to give someone leading an "OSAS"
Leonardo is a good military name
Pedro is a good title for someone leading somewhere called "Brasilia"
Rejinaldo is a good leader name in general

So I'm guessing one of those is his birth name, and 23rd century South American culture adds names on as you make outstanding accomplishments in life.
OR
23rd century South American culture gives kids ~3 middle names occasionally

Albeit not common, you can totally find these kids in the 21st century. In previous centuries it was even more common, in Brazil and Portugal (Pedro II had 15 given names + or -). So it's possible it became a trend again in the 23rd century.

Rejinaldo Leonardo Pedro: Definitely his given names.
Bolívar: His mother's family name, his 4th given name, his adopted name or title.
de Alencar-Araripe: His father's family name or a compound of his mother's and father's family names.

2 things
1. it is 200 years in the future.. after Brazil has joined with a number of other latin american states for some cultural fusion

2. it may be a degree of monarchic quality, more names=more titles/more power

Bolivar is an obvious title to give someone leading an "OSAS"
Leonardo is a good military name
Pedro is a good title for someone leading somewhere called "Brasilia"
Rejinaldo is a good leader name in general

So I'm guessing one of those is his birth name, and 23rd century South American culture adds names on as you make outstanding accomplishments in life.
OR

Yeah, this. I think its also a reference tp Bolivar's actual name: *Simón José Antonio de la Santísima Trinidad Bolívar y Ponte Palacios y Blanco*

Seems like Rejinaldo Bolivar de Alencar-Araripe is more in line with today's custom...

As a Spaniard, I can tell you the name is uncommon, but not strange at all. Indeed, it tells quite a bit of the character. In Spain, and I suppose Brazil and South-America, these long names reflect being "highborn" (as far as highborn means in today's society, which is still quite a bit - belonging to the social/economic "elite circles", and therefore having many doors open that normal people have to fight hard for)

That said, analyzing the name:

Given Name: Rejinaldo Leonardo Pedro.

Yes, three names. Why is it?. Well, because of belonging of the "social elite" as said above: First, it sounds appropiately pompous ;P. Second, and most important... social elite comes with a price - you always owe loyalty, respect, or at least some consideration to other peers. You may need to show you enforce you alliegance to them... and one way to do so is by giving a second or third name to your child. So maybe our friend R.L.P.
- Is son of Rejinaldo Othername Othername, and it is family custom to use Rejinaldo as name for the firstborn child.
- However, the mother's family is more important than the father's, therefore to not displease grandpa Leonardo (R.L.P. mother's father), Leonardo comes in as a second name.
-Then, R.O.O. (R.L.P.'s father), is in the military, as a confidence man of commander Pedro Marcos da Silva, and wants his son to follow a similar career... so to ease steps with the commander, why not setting as well Pedro at the end of R.L.P. name... maybe when in the future commander da Sliva has to decide in favour of R.L.P. he will remind by seeing his name there...

You can picture yourself how these things work... of course, can't go for much more than three or four names, but these numbers can be quite right.

Family Name (Father): Bolivar

Quite a plain surname. Strong enough anyway, so even if it could have been embellished by the Father's family story, probably it ends being up simplified again due to the power of this single word (historic reminiscences and so on). It also may mean the father is more a common than the mother (as we will see next)

Family Name (Father): de Alençar-Araripe

Brace yourselves, because maybe this is even shortened from a longer "da casa do Marques de Alençar-Araripe" (or "Conde de Alençar-Araripe" itself :king:). Seems a nobility name, which points again to Rejinaldo being highborn - (nobility may have not power nowadays, but normally they still have the wealth and the contacts). It is composed as well, maybe by the merger of two different noble houses (Casa de Alençar, and Casa de Araripe): maybe none of both was strong enough to hide the other, so the resulting title merges both names in "de Alençar-Araripe"

Thus, we have probably a Leader for Brazilia that is high-class. Considering the military bent, he has probably being devoting himself to military career, knowing that economically its life its solved. He may have been granted early Access to officer academy due to contacts, and we know he has been worth of this Access by skills, so therefore he has gained a big opportunity/training advantage ofer any other military officer out there.
It also may speak Brazilia may be democratic or not, but have at least a "elite people" layer that maybe runs much of the government/military/companies...

Compare to Fielding or Daoming, that rise to position, Bolívar was granted the position - however, in his defence, he seems to know how to run it, and may have been getting appropriate training since much earlier.

Compare to Fielding or Daoming, that rise to position, Bolívar was granted the position - however, in his defence, he seems to know how to run it, and may have been getting appropriate training since much earlier.

It’s stated that he “began as a soldier, but eventually grew and became an officer”. That suggests he earned his position, just like Fielding and Sochua. If he was, somehow, granted early access to an officer academy, he wouldn’t need to start off as a soldier.

Seems a nobility name, which points again to Rejinaldo being highborn - (nobility may have not power nowadays, but normally they still have the wealth and the contacts).

He could be of nobility ancestry, but the facts that his name is long and his surname is hyphenated don’t necessarily mean it. Furthermore, the surname “Bolívar de Alencar-Araripe” doesn’t sound very monarchical; we all know who Simón Bolívar was, and the guy who "created" the “Alencar Araripe” surname was, along his family, a republican revolutionary who was acclaimed the President of Ceará in a secessionist movement in the early years of the Empire.

I believe the only thing that Rejinaldo’s name tell us for sure is his Brazilian (Alencar-Araripe, father’s side) and Hispanic-American (Bolívar, mother’s side) ancestry, which suggests a stronger South American interaction/integration (probably due the Great Mistake and the Organization of South American States).

So 23rd century Brazil is basically 20th century America.

Much like the USA was the 20th Century Great Britain. A rising power eclipsed the declining one.

The article was alright, but I'm rather disappointed there was no mention of the rest of South America. Brazil doesn't exist in a bubble.

Much like the USA was the 20th Century Great Britain. A rising power eclipsed the declining one.

Yeah, and it seems like the future USA and China are present day Europe: "We did what the Norteamericanos or Chinese would not do. We did what the Europeans could not do."

Now I want to know what's going on with future Europe. I hope next week they talk about Franco-Iberia!

The article was alright, but I'm rather disappointed there was no mention of the rest of South America. Brazil doesn't exist in a bubble.

I was hopping they would make clear what is the relation between Brasilia and the "Organization of South American States".

Now I want to know what's going on with future Europe. I hope next week they talk about Franco-Iberia!

We got a 33% chance of that happening. I kind of want to hear about Franco-Iberia too, since it is the faction we know the least about.

In order of priority, I want to hear about Franco-Iberia, the Slavic Federation and Polystralia.

Yeah, and it seems like the future USA and China are present day Europe: "We did what the Norteamericanos or Chinese would not do. We did what the Europeans could not do."

I find it curious that there is no mention of the Slavic Federation. They seem to be lumped together with the Europeans who could not do anything. It implies that the SF is a relatively new concept or isolationist. Another possibility is that Europe was embroiled in a civil war at that time which split the EU into Franco-Iberia and the Slavic Federation.

Also, the Brits and Germans are absent. Maybe DLC faction?

Also someone mentioned that the Slavic Federations were the first to launch the satellites into space that lets them know if there are planets habitable. So the Slavic federation are also explorers, wanting to learn more about the great unknown.

It’s stated that he “began as a soldier, but eventually grew and became an officer”. That suggests he earned his position, just like Fielding and Sochua. If he was, somehow, granted early access to an officer academy, he wouldn’t need to start off as a soldier.

Maybe not, but maybe he did, just had the opportunity to rise faster, when he shown the skill. (Hell, even the king of spain took military training as a regular solider :p)

Furthermore, the surname “Bolívar de Alencar-Araripe” doesn’t sound very monarchical; we all know who Simón Bolívar was, and the guy who "created" the “Alencar Araripe” surname was, along his family, a republican revolutionary who was acclaimed the President of Ceará in a secessionist movement in the early years of the Empire.

And who says nobility == monarchical? Wealthy nobility may join revolutionary movements, and keep their status within the new regime (as politicians). Something that both the Bolivar and the Alençar-Araripe seem to have done. (I can assure you both families were probably landlords, not peasants).
Note I stated "highborn by today's standards", emphasizing wealth and social connections. This can be gained, yes, but also can be more easily granted (if you know how to keep/foster it) by coming from a feudal noble family that has been capable enough to evolve and keep its status according to the custom of the moment.

Anyway, my point is, 3 names + composed surnames such as "de Alençar-Araripe" is used nowadays by this kind of people (long history family and "highborn"-like social connections -- and yes, this may not seem that important in saxon countries, but in latin countries, can be a big plus). Which, good or bad, can fit with someone who has been comissioned to lead the first Seeding ship.

Rejinaldo's name is nothing compared with Pedro II's: Pedro de Alcântara João Carlos Leopoldo Salvador Bibiano Francisco Xavier de Paula Leocádio Miguel Gabriel Rafael Gonzaga de Habsburg e Bragança :p

Rejinaldo's name is nothing compared with Pedro II's: Pedro de Alcântara João Carlos Leopoldo Salvador Bibiano Francisco Xavier de Paula Leocádio Miguel Gabriel Rafael Gonzaga de Habsburg e Bragança :p
Well, Rejinaldo is just a high-ranking military man. When you're an emperor, you obviously get many, many more names. But there's also something to be said about modesty (or lack thereof). :p

Top Bottom