1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Gamereactor New Images

Discussion in 'CivBE - General Discussions' started by Karl0413, Aug 13, 2014.

1. NASAROG

NASAROG Prince

2. AriochIV

AriochIV Analyst

My guess as well.

Excellent. And the Supremacy uber-walker appears to be called the ANGEL.

edit: Note that Titanium (unlocked with Engineering) appears to be a strategic resource, along with Xenomass, Floatstone, and Firaxite.

3. Josephias

Josephias King

there is a sao manuel in Brazil already

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/São_Manuel

Nevertheless, "Manuel" is not a simple name, it is "Immanuel", that is other way to say "Jesus"

Do not know if this may be the reason, but is not as if they called it just "Tim"

Enviado desde mi iPhone con Tapatalk

4. Liex

Liex King

I would say it'd be like an American city called "John", but I don't know if there is such a city or if it'd sound weird or not.

Manuel is a very common name in Brazil, specially among old people. In fact, it's the name of both my grandfathers, but it still sounds weird as a city name, just like any given name would (even, let's say, Pedro and Getúlio, which carry a lot of historical weight).

I believe that's because we don't have many cities with a given name not preceded by "São", "Santo", nobility or military ranks, or not followed by "pólis" or a surname. So "Dom Pedro", "Pedro II", "Pedro de Alcântara", "Petrópolis", they sound alright. "Pedro", not so much.

But that's not a problem since it's easy to rename or edit.

5. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Maybe Brasilia is in the habit of reusing old city names but stripping the Sao part from it. It reminds me of the city of Lynn, Massachusetts. Its founders named it after King's Lynn in Norfolk, England. King's Lynn was called Bishop's Lynn before Henry VIII took all the land from the Catholic Church.

6. Al-Iskander

Al-Iskander Warlord

Re: Manoel:

It's also possible that this is still a pre-release version of the game, where they just haven't finalized the city name-lists yet. Though the super-rad Agent Sm*cough* Supremacy Vadim Kozlov and the rest makes me think otherwise.

Also, it's not impossible to name a city just with a given name. I live close to Orlando (Florida, USA) which is an old male given name, though admittedly an uncommon one. Also the origins of the city's name are clouded in the fog of history, so maybe that's not a great example :)

7. Liex

Liex King

At least "Cidadela" is a good name for the capital. Not only it's appropriated for a bellicose faction, but it also sounds nice and natural, maybe because there's a Brazilian city called "Fortaleza" (Fortress) in real life.

Thinking about it, it'd be nice to see "Rio de [insert random month]" or "Porto [insert random adjective]". ;)

8. CleverFool

CleverFool Warlord

Some beautiful images there. I for one really like the fungal biome, as it does look suitable alien to me.

I'm pleased there's still a large variety in units between factions. You can really see the differences as they focus and advance up an Affinity. And while I might like the idea of Supremacy the least, I think there units probably look the best. Tough choice for how I play my first time through...

9. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I also spot a trade vessel on the image with the Raider attacking the Kraken.

10. s0nny80y

s0nny80y King

Funny how that LEV destroyer looks like a Red Alert 2 soviet war factory.

11. Lord Tirian

Lord Tirian Erratic Poster

I like the fungal biome, too, it's definitely alien. It's a bit monotone, though, it'd be nice to have some yellow or red patches in it to break it up a bit.

12. vahouth

vahouth Prince

I think the fungal biome would be my No1 choice in my Purity playthrough.
    The contrast between the biome and the terraformed tiles would be amazing! :D

13. HipNozY

HipNozY Chieftain

Cidadela is very cool, indeed :D
    But I still think Manoel is a too weird city name. Wouldn't It be better if they named the cities with surnames instead? Niemeyer would be a cool city name, if you choose the purity path :p

14. Lancor

Lancor Prince

To be honest, city names were never the strength of any Civ game and it's a good thing you can rename them easily. :)
    So I think they can't do bad here.

15. vahouth

vahouth Prince

When I first read Cidadela, I thought it said Cinderella. :p

16. 3of5

3of5 Recycling Vats Technician

This floating fortress is missing an axially mounted main gun that drains all power if fired.

All the cool superweapons have one!

17. shaglio

shaglio The Prince of Dorkness

We also have Sharon and Lawrence (which is better than Larry, I suppose). But I'm pretty sure those are all named after English cities, so blame the Brits :mischief:

EDIT: shows how much I know about my own city: Lawrence was named after one of it's founders, Abbott Lawrence (I actually knew this, but I forgot), and Sharon was named after Israel's Sharon plain.