1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Bringing the RPG in DG3

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Demo Game III: RPG' started by Octavian X, Apr 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. disorganizer

disorganizer Deity

one more question just arose.... how is the despot determined?

oh, and another thing:
    the despot should be forced to spend his money. despots always spent all of their money in nice houses, clothing etc.
    this could also force him to lent money of others and thus force him to promote them to higher ranks ;-)

otherwise the despont may only sit on his money and never produce nobles.

2. Chieftess

Chieftess Moderator Retired Moderator

Just one thing about the despot... What's that going to do with city and province threads? It seems the despot owns it, so that would take out some possible storylines for provinces and cities.

For example, What if the mayors of two cities wanted to have a tournament? It seems like they can't do that since they don't own it. I'd really like the demogame to affect the RPG more in this sense. Remember Asphinxia and the Asphinxia thread in DG1? That's how I'd like it to be. A storyline-type thread that isn't affected by the RPG, but by the demogame. Maybe the despot could be like the House of Cards (?) thread, where you're only affected if you're a part of that group.

3. Stuck_as_a_Mac

Stuck_as_a_Mac Aptenodytes forsteri

Great Job, Shai

just a question: do we mere mortals who are currently managers keep our manager jobs? (if no, good luck finding another land manager :p)

4. Strider

Strider In Retrospect

I think there should be a max limit of how many medium/low characters someone can have.

5. Shaitan

Shaitan der Besucher

Age will be counted in game turns. For example, if I start with a peasant who is 20 years old and the average life expectancy is 40 years, that character will be dead in around 20 turns. I'll make that more clear in that section.
    Not in the basic rules but the Land Manager could implement something like that in the Land Rules subset.
    The Game Manager will pass events to the Manager or player or post a public notice, as appropriate. There would have to be a pretty good reason not to use the random events though. These are critical to realism and to throw quirks into the storylines. If everything is to be put through an approval process then there is no real reason to use random events.
    The first despot should be an NPC created by the Game Manager. After that it's up to whoever can grab power.

6. Chieftess

Chieftess Moderator Retired Moderator

Yeah, and wouldn't everyone make themselves a high class if they get to choose?

7. disorganizer

disorganizer Deity

ct: right :) so its good nobody can ;-)

just one thing to preven a noble-flood:
    the kings and the despot should have to pay a tc-ly amount for each noble he created... this way there would be a natural limitation (income of despot) to the number of nobles we get ;-)

8. Stuck_as_a_Mac

Stuck_as_a_Mac Aptenodytes forsteri

Dont forget my question!

9. Shaitan

Shaitan der Besucher

Unless a despot (or noble territory controller) appoints a mayor there won't be one in the RPG. Players can still use the territories and cities. The despot isn't going to be concerned with matters that don't cost him money. Then again somebody might play a despot that drives people into the ground with an iron fist. It all depends on how the characters develop. The territories that form will be like the areas and provinces in the demogame.

We'll have all new managers. DG2 managers may of course run for the new positions.

That will be up to the Character Manager to decide. If a person can't handle the number of characters they are running or if somebody is taking advantage of the rules to run a single character with 10 names then the Character Manager has the authority to fix the problem.

Each player may start one character as high born at any one time. When that character passes away they can start another one.

It will be regulated by land. There is a minimum amount of land that is required to support a title.

10. Octavian X

Octavian X is not a pipe.

Really, I'd place tighter controls on the creation of characters. To create their own, and other NPC, players, the game or character manager should assign castes in life so we don't have an unrealistic number of nobles in the game.

For example, if I wanted to create my character midgame, I'd have to sign up with a manager. I'd be assigned certain character attributes at random, like caste, starting gold amount, etc. I could be a peasent, in the Duchy of New Hydra, with about 3g to my name, and a small hut in New Augusta. I could also have a job, like preacher, with X number of followers.

Each time a player character died, the player would need to register again for a new position.

11. disorganizer

disorganizer Deity

i second octavian with one exception:
    if somebody has children, the caste should be the parent's caste... same maybe with some of the stats.

12. Shaitan

Shaitan der Besucher

Perhaps a new noble character may only be started when the number of noble characters is 25% or less of all characters?

13. Shaitan

Shaitan der Besucher

Please continue discussion in this thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.