Bringing the RPG in DG3

Status
Not open for further replies.
one more question just arose.... how is the despot determined?

oh, and another thing:
the despot should be forced to spend his money. despots always spent all of their money in nice houses, clothing etc.
this could also force him to lent money of others and thus force him to promote them to higher ranks ;-)

otherwise the despont may only sit on his money and never produce nobles.

Just one thing about the despot... What's that going to do with city and province threads? It seems the despot owns it, so that would take out some possible storylines for provinces and cities.

For example, What if the mayors of two cities wanted to have a tournament? It seems like they can't do that since they don't own it. I'd really like the demogame to affect the RPG more in this sense. Remember Asphinxia and the Asphinxia thread in DG1? That's how I'd like it to be. A storyline-type thread that isn't affected by the RPG, but by the demogame. Maybe the despot could be like the House of Cards (?) thread, where you're only affected if you're a part of that group.

I think there should be a max limit of how many medium/low characters someone can have.

Originally posted by disorganizer
reads pretty good... just some points:
age: in ancient age, people would die each TC. how can we fix that?
Age will be counted in game turns. For example, if I start with a peasant who is 20 years old and the average life expectancy is 40 years, that character will be dead in around 20 turns. I'll make that more clear in that section.
territory: it should be defined that a territory as defined in the land rules need not be in explicit ownership of one person, but also can be defined as "cooperative territory" with one actual "operator" of that territory who distributes the income to the participants of the cooperative (see lancre in dg2)
Not in the basic rules but the Land Manager could implement something like that in the Land Rules subset.
and an addition:
* if a storyline effects the area of a rpg-manager, he should be needed to approove the effects (for example if a storyline would raise someone in his caste status, the nobility manager should have to give his approoval before(!) the storyline event is posted
*if a random event hits the area of a rpg manager, he has the ability to cancel the event (this will enable the managers to prevent random events from disturbing large storylines) with the approval of the overall-rpg-manager.
(example: if a random event would degrade some nobles during a large storyline needing their ranks, the nobility manager and the rpg-manager could comply on canceling the event to not disturb the storyline)
The Game Manager will pass events to the Manager or player or post a public notice, as appropriate. There would have to be a pretty good reason not to use the random events though. These are critical to realism and to throw quirks into the storylines. If everything is to be put through an approval process then there is no real reason to use random events.
one more question just arose.... how is the despot determined?
The first despot should be an NPC created by the Game Manager. After that it's up to whoever can grab power.

Yeah, and wouldn't everyone make themselves a high class if they get to choose?

ct: right :) so its good nobody can ;-)

just one thing to preven a noble-flood:
the kings and the despot should have to pay a tc-ly amount for each noble he created... this way there would be a natural limitation (income of despot) to the number of nobles we get ;-)

CT Just one thing about the despot... What's that going to do with city and province threads? It seems the despot owns it, so that would take out some possible storylines for provinces and cities.

For example, What if the mayors of two cities wanted to have a tournament? It seems like they can't do that since they don't own it. I'd really like the demogame to affect the RPG more in this sense. Remember Asphinxia and the Asphinxia thread in DG1? That's how I'd like it to be. A storyline-type thread that isn't affected by the RPG, but by the demogame. Maybe the despot could be like the House of Cards (?) thread, where you're only affected if you're a part of that group.
Unless a despot (or noble territory controller) appoints a mayor there won't be one in the RPG. Players can still use the territories and cities. The despot isn't going to be concerned with matters that don't cost him money. Then again somebody might play a despot that drives people into the ground with an iron fist. It all depends on how the characters develop. The territories that form will be like the areas and provinces in the demogame.

SAAM: just a question: do we mere mortals who are currently managers keep our manager jobs? (if no, good luck finding another land manager :p)
We'll have all new managers. DG2 managers may of course run for the new positions.

Strider:I think there should be a max limit of how many medium/low characters someone can have.
That will be up to the Character Manager to decide. If a person can't handle the number of characters they are running or if somebody is taking advantage of the rules to run a single character with 10 names then the Character Manager has the authority to fix the problem.

CT:Yeah, and wouldn't everyone make themselves a high class if they get to choose?
Each player may start one character as high born at any one time. When that character passes away they can start another one.

disorganizer:just one thing to preven a noble-flood:
the kings and the despot should have to pay a tc-ly amount for each noble he created... this way there would be a natural limitation (income of despot) to the number of nobles we get ;-)
It will be regulated by land. There is a minimum amount of land that is required to support a title.

Really, I'd place tighter controls on the creation of characters. To create their own, and other NPC, players, the game or character manager should assign castes in life so we don't have an unrealistic number of nobles in the game.

For example, if I wanted to create my character midgame, I'd have to sign up with a manager. I'd be assigned certain character attributes at random, like caste, starting gold amount, etc. I could be a peasent, in the Duchy of New Hydra, with about 3g to my name, and a small hut in New Augusta. I could also have a job, like preacher, with X number of followers.

Each time a player character died, the player would need to register again for a new position.

i second octavian with one exception:
if somebody has children, the caste should be the parent's caste... same maybe with some of the stats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom