1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[BtS] Dales Combat Mod!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Modpacks' started by Dale, Jan 2, 2008.

1. keldath

keldath LivE LonG AnD PrOsPeR

2. Martock

Martock Warlord

Can someone please answer my question about promotions affecting range bombardment? Do any have any impact on it or not? Does it matter what promotion I attach to a siege weapon (offensive only not MG's) if I only use them for ranged bombardment?

3. KaiserElectric

KaiserElectric Total Freakin Besties

I'm not sure if this has been posted or not, but how do you use the CivCustomizer? I think I turned it on in the Assets folder, but I can't seem to find this option. Any ideas? :help:

4. glider1

glider1 Deity

G'day there
    Thanks again for the mod. Makes the late game alot more enjoyable ;).

With regard to stack attack instability, I have reproduced a concrete combination of combat mod options that cause a SA CTD:

1) IF stack attack is on and active defense is on = CTD in particular case X.

2) Take case X and restart SA with active defense off = no CTD.

3) Take case X with active defense on but trigger active defense before the main stack attack by deploying artillery first and then stack attacking with remaining forces = no CTD.

Interestingly, the CTD occurs a second after the stack attack is over not during the stack attack which suggests it is NOT an animation issue.

Since the SA crash appears to occur along with active defense (routines outside the vanilla game mechanics for warfare), could it be a unit array updating violation of some kind post stack attack?

I have a save game of case X but unfortunately it is inconjunction with the mod RevolutionDCM_0_5 so it's possibly no use to Dale for debugging.

Thanks again.
    Cheers :goodjob:

5. sangeli

sangeli Major General

My giant list of suggestions

I find 1, 3, 4 very important to make warfare mods better. In fact, I can assure you that if they are implemented in some way, warfare games would get so much better and only slightly more complicated. The other three suggestions are just things I personally would like to see but I don't think everyone would agree with me.

1. Directional fortificaton(most important for me) So far I have yet to see anyone implement or even suggest this but it has sooo much potential value and I'm sure some of the better modders can make it. Basically it's just choosing a direction to fortify in, per se, a 50% defense bonus in that directon . However, attacks on the side (i.e. flanking) gets a good bonus. This is to make lines of defense (i.e. the maginot line) have some value, even if it is not alot (and yes I know the maginot line failed). To me, merely fortifying cities with troops is stupid and unrealistic because in conventional wars, most battles are fought outside cities, and with the current design of Civ 4 almost none are. Also, for units that just used up all the movement points, they can pick the direction they're facing for no bonus but attacks on the flanks still are devastating, as they are in real life. To protect flanks, they're should also be a "protect flanks" forification (but now movement points are required) wherein you get a 25% bonus when enmies attack from the flank. Note: the flank is always determined by which way the other units are facing so, for example, if your units are facing left guarding the flanks protects units coming due north or due south.

2. Realistic Movement During war time, travel on any type of road is 1/2 of a movement point, regardless if it is in enemy territory. If you think about it, why should traveling on a railroad be so much faster than traveling on a road if the unit is motorized? In real life, troops move just as fast, provided that there is no enemy resitance, in their own territory as in the enemy's. This restriction gives an advantage to the attacker and allows the attacker to sustain a breakthrough.

3. Military Control During war, once your unit occupies a plot of land it is yours until the other countries unit reoccupies it, even if your unit has moved because in real life a division leaves a small amount of troops in areas it conquered to control the population, small enough so that it doesn't affect the force of the original division or pose a threat to an enemy division. This way you can set up supply lines and can cut off enemy supply lines.

4. Supply Lines Combined with my third point, it can make supply lines a very important concept in the game. All units have a supply line that connects them to their home country. However, if the unit is surounded by enemy territory, which normally couldn't happen without suggestion 3 implemented, the line is cut off. Each unit would have a supply of amunition and mechanical units have a supply of gasoline (I believe there is already a mod for this so it would not be very hard to implement). The use of ammunition is determined by how much the unit fights and gasoline consumption is determned by movement. One they run out of ammuntion they die and when a motorized unit runs out of fuel it can't move.

5. Fortifications and Military Bases There should be new fortifications like pillboxes or other things that give units fortified more bonuses. Permanant artillery should also be available. Also, there should be an option to make something called a military base that requires takes a very long time for workers to make. It can hold aircraft and can be named, and function much like cities except there is no population, it cant make things, and has no cultural influence. You name them and you can also trade them in diplomacy. I think someone already has done this but I'm not sure.

6. Specialized Units Basically I'm tired of one unit dominating the game because there is no adequate counter. Instead I propose eliminating all specialized types of infantry (marines, paratroopers, etc) for just one you make. Once you make an infantry unit, you get to pick its "specialty", which is just a big promotion, not the uber ****** one you get now. For example, you can make an infantry an anti-tank infantry by a promotion that makes it 50% better against tanks. You can also have promotions to make it a paratrooper, marine, etc. However, each unit can only choose from ONE of the specializations. This eliminates the need to have a bunch of different infantry and still have flexibility.

6. yairgr

yairgr Chieftain

Anyway to load pre-made maps into this mode?

I would like to play it on a real world map...

Excuse me if this is a basic question...

7. Admiral Stephen

Admiral Stephen Chieftain

Is there any way to get this to work with the giant earth mod?

8. General Tso

General Tso Panzer General

DCM and Giant Earth Mod - sounds like a good idea.

I also have a question, if it was asked before then I apologize, I couldn't find it listed anywhere. I had installed DCM 1.3 sometime back and then started to build my own mod around it. Can I just replace the CvGameCoreDLL.dll file with version 1.5 and leave the other files go? I tried it and it seems to work, I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't cause any hard to find problems down the road.

9. Commander Bello

Commander Bello Say No 2 Net Validations

I haven't found this in this thread by doing a quick search:
    Is it possible that I don't have ranged bombardment in my vassal's territory? I am currently trying to defend one of my vassal's cities and while I am suffering heavily from our opponent's fire, I cannot bombard him nor get my counter attacks assisted by my own cats.

10. KaiserElectric

So many questions, so few answers...:sad:

Can we get a hand, Dale?!?!

11. glider1

glider1 Deity

It may not be of any help to you but since version 1.5 catapults can't range bombard generally I think and so only trebuchets and upwards can. Personally I like the change if it is a real change and not a figment of my imagination :p

Archer bombardment and catapult bombardment combined in 1.3 was too over powered that the proud city raiding swordsman becoming somewhat obsoleted. Now catapults just do standard bombardment and opportunity fire which seems to be working well because they are able to do a little damage at least to garrisoned longbowmen before the big trebuchets arrive.

And anyway, catapults were the first very primitive bombardment units historically and were not probably real good at ranged bombardment anyway although they might have been good at opportunity fire. I think 1.5 get's a big tick :goodjob:

What are your thoughts? let's start up a debate in the absense of Mr Mighty Dale.
    Cheers.

12. sangeli

sangeli Major General

Where is Dale for that matter?

13. mattpilot

mattpilot Warlord

hey dale

turns out your mod is the only mod i play nowadays ;). Thanks for all the work.

I was hoping you would consider adding another element, such as being able to buy XP for individual units to create specialized elite solders.

The scenario that came with the game called "Broken Star" already allows that. Its like 75 gold for 5XP. It would bring the game closer to AC which allows you to customize yourself an elite army or a special purpose army - for a price.

Perhaps only allow it with some war tech (military strategies) to avoid having to powerful units early on. The only downside i can see is that people would 'buy' themselves the ability to build that national wonder associated with war (the level 5 unit). A fix for that is to make it dependent not on a single unit, but perhaps have it appear concurrently with the first great general to still make it a war requirement.

Thanks ;)

14. Admiral Stephen

I can't run this mod at all anymore. I had to reinstall Beyond The Sword recently (the steam version), and previously I had DCM working just fine. But now, whenever I try to start a game, it crashes during the initial loading screen. Any idea what would have happened during a reinstall to make it so DCM no longer works?

15. KaiserElectric

I'm not sure, but I'd try reinstalling the mod as well. Perhaps uninstalling BtS removed something vital from the system.

16. Dale

Dale Deity

If you reinstalled, make sure you have patch 3.13 installed as well.

17. Admiral Stephen

It's the steam version, so it's the 3.13 build. Like I said, I had it working before, but now it just crashes during the loading screen.

18. glider1

glider1 Deity

Hey Dale,
    Been a while. Hope you are doing well. Self declared good DCM persons like me are sure glad your back on this forum! :)

19. Pep

Pep King

It's a pity that DCM can't work together with the lastest version of the "unofficial patch". Any plans for a merged version?

20. Ninja2

Ninja2 Great Engineer

Shouldn't there be a tech requirement for the Manhattan Project?