[BtS] Dales Combat Mod!

Thanks for the work Xenomorph. :)

I'm still working through SDK issues with RtW, so it would've been a bit longer before I could look at this.

And BTW, from all indications 20,000 playing RtW is a bit low. I think you'll find it's closer to 50,000. Nearly all do not visit CFC or Poly, just random folks with Civ. However I get a lot of emails and visits to www.daleszone.com from them. :)

Thanks for doing this, Xenomorph. Saves a lot of work for the rest of us. :thumbsup: The only question I have is about removing the 40 civs + colonies add-on: I never looked at that mod, so what exactly do I change to reset it to the old system? If I understand correctly, it does more than simply change MAX_CIV_PLAYERS from 18 to 40.

It makes a small change to the global warming code so that if you change the global warming chance in GlobalDefines.xml to a value over 100, instead of creating desert it will create fallout.
It also removes the check that prevents a colony from forming out of a civ already in the game (i.e. Peter the Great can now create a colony headed by Stalin).

So it does not allow you to make colonies if you have reached the civ limit? I guess I misunderstood; I thought it made it possible for you to start with, say, 34 civs in the game (or whatever the limit is) but still have colonies later on. In other words, if you had already used all the standard civ slots, you could still liberate colonies halfway through the game.

It's the "34 civs + 6 colonies" part that is throwing me. :crazyeye:

sorry to be off topic, but on the contrary. By the time your reasonably able to create a colony, there would have been a few nations dead. Especially with that many civs.

by the way Dale, i'm really looking forward to DCM for 3.17

Shiggs

Could someone tell me if this is a bug or perhaps i'm doing it wrong

- Can't use archer bombard in friendly territory. It works fine when i'm defending, but i couldn't use it while the enemy was in a neutral party's territory nor could i use it while i was in a allied city who was also at war with the same civ i was at war with. I checked the health, and it was only 10% of original, yet the bombard option was gray when mousing over target

- Someone help me understand if this is working as designed or perhaps i'm 'exploiting'. I have a mixed stack and next to me is a enemy mixed stack. I select 1 of my units (not the entire stack) and move him into the enemy stack. Not only does that unit i selected attack, but a few others - namely every archery seems to get a free attack, but it seems some melee units also follow me. I think his is how its supposed to work. BUT, the thing is i can select every single unit in the stack and move him individually over to the enemy stack and everytime i do that i get all the 'bonus'' of combined arms thingie .. ergo everytime i move a unit into the enemy stack, the archers get a free 'bombard' and different melee units follow the selected unit into battle, but their movement turn does NOT get used up.

Using this technique i was able to desimate the enemy stack with relative ease - is this how its supposed to work? Me thinks the rest of the stack that 'attacked' should lose their movement points - or make it so that those that aren't selected don't follow in - or perhaps force the player so that he can only attack with the entire stack and lose movement points or perhaps needs to split up his forces among different tiles if he doesn't wish to do that ??

anyhow.. curious to know how this is supposed to work. I feel like i'm cheating ;)

*edit - forgot to add i'm using the 3.17 update by Xeno & solver's unofficial patch

Also one more thing relating to the above ...

It seems i got permanent battlefields and its quite annoying ;). The two tiles that i did this 1 by 1 attack as described above are still showing to be a battlefield (and burning) for over 40 turns now. I'm wondering if battlefield effects stack instead of replace - as in if i had 10 battles there, it will be 10x as long instead of having the timer reset at the last battle ???

BF effects stack.

I'm not quite sure i follow ... ??

Since ya didn't respond directly to my question regarding the way i 'used' the 1 at a time attack in my stack, i assume its working as intended?

Every time you perform combat in a plot it adds 2 more turns onto the battlefield effects. So if you perform 5 combats in a plot, you'll have 10 turns of battlefield effect.

The premise is that the more combat occurs in a plot, the longer it takes that plot to recover from the combat.

Thanks dale for the info. After about 130 turns (i stopped keeping accurate count after 50 ;)) the last battlefield effect finally went away. IMO thats a bit extreme and was quite annoying for the longest time. Is there anyway i can limit that myself without turning the effect off? :/ Was thinking maybe either set it so it only adds 1 turn of effects per battle or limit it to a max of 10 turns.

Nah I was going to put a limit of 10 turns on BE. ;)

Was thinking maybe either set it so it only adds 1 turn of effects per battle

Yeah battle effects are a great idea and I see Dales reasoning on their duration. I did exactly what you suggested in my own build (see below).

Cheers.

DCM 1.5 for BtS 3.17 is released!

See the first post. :)

Battle Effects have the following change:
- If BattleEffect counter is already 10 turns or higher it will not add 2 more turns for combat.

This change means that if you have a large stack battle in one turn in a plot, maximum BE for the plot is 10 turns. HOWEVER, subsequent battles in later turns in that plot can result in the BE reaching 10 turns again.

So a single massive battle will have BE negated after 10 turns. But if you continue to fight over the plot in subsequent turns then the BE will still keeping going up (to a maximum of 10). So in effect, the BE will finish at most, 10 turns after the last battle in a plot.

This stops the problem where a large stack battle caused massive BE turn amounts (like a hundred). :lol:

Probably, I never test MP as I never play it.

Top Bottom