Buffer State

Comosycus

Chieftain
I always imagined if anything would have been changed if a 'Romanian' buffer state would have existed... this idea is not an original one, of mine. The Great Powers always thought about this, however, a too powerful buffer state would have messed with their plans... just think... actually look at this map of the current size of Romania http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:EU_location_ROM.png and this one of the territories inhabited by Romanians (http://ro.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imagine:Romania_1920_ro.png). Like any small empire, just add a few territory a bit beyond... a pretty nice state, isn't it so? Great position as well. In the way of the Great Invasions, in the way of the turks (otomans), in the way of Russia, in the way of Austrian Empire(s). :lol: So, what do you think... would it have made any difference?

Would you believe, I had a dream just last night about Romania invading Transylvania after the collapse of Austria-Hungary . . . apparently they didn't really send troops in until after they were promised it by Versailles.

Strange dreams you have man... (j/k) . Romania never invaded a country... except the USSR :lol: in the WWII... Transilvania is a part of Romania just like Bavaria is of Germany ;) . Unfortunately nobody had dreams of a great empire here, hehe... :rolleyes:

This is a very interesting thread. :)

Yes I think it would definitely have made a difference. The XXth century was a very, very instable time. Basically, I think with only very small changes of the history course, a lot could have been different. Such a change would definitely have altered the course of history totally. Maybe after WW2, if this was how Romania would have looked like, it would have become a bit more like Yugoslavia during the communist regime... minus the post-communist war period which wouldn't have had any trigger (no separatist movements whatsoever, unlike in Yugoslavia). Who knows. Maybe if it was strong enough, it wouldn't have fallen under Soviet influence, and it would still have the Monarchy. Alternate history is a very interesting topic though, IMHO. :)

We have a History Forum, this should have been there. :)

I believe the post-WW2 borders of Romania really are a mistake. I mean, there are almost 1 million Romanians living in Ukraine right now, and they don't even have teaching in their own language (while in Romania there is for any minority of over 20% of a town). It's obvious that the current borders are simply a result of Russian expansionism. Moldova right now is divided between 3 countries, only because of this same reason. :)

Strange dreams you have man... (j/k) . Romania never invaded a country... except the USSR :lol: in the WWII... Transilvania is a part of Romania just like Bavaria is of Germany ;) . Unfortunately nobody had dreams of a great empire here, hehe... :rolleyes:

Technically it did... But never for expansion, that's true. For example Mihai Viteazu (Michael the Brave), when he united Wallachia (Teara Romaneasca) with Moldova and Transylvania (Transilvania) in 1600, didn't really unite them peacefully... ;) It's true that he did have the support of the people, for the most part. But technically, he did attack other countries. His results are remarkable, though they only lasted until 1601.

Well, remember that your first try in WWI didn't go so well, being quickly defeated and signing a peace treaty, then right at the end rejoining - that would be a major rep hit in Civ you know. ;)

In both wars, we changed sides like crazy. :crazyeye: Still the results of WW1 were for us 999999999999 times better than those of WW2... actually the time after WW1 and before WW2 could be considered Romania's Golden Age in the XXth century. :)

Like Mirc said, it never attacked for expansion, Romania only did it such that Romanians would have a state (all of them)... Funny thing: Romania occupied Budapest in WW1, but called back the army... just think: if it would have had expasion intentions they would have never left... ;) ... however i was thinking about the great invasions... if after the retreat of the romans the newly formed population would have concentrated in a powerful organized state, many important civilizations as we know today would have never formed...
(about the topic's place... if an admin considers it belongs to another place, it would be fine by me to be moved).

Top Bottom