[NFP] Bug or mod problem? Active volcanoes look extinct since april patch.

I'm not sure that I've seen a double drought. I don't often get droughts, though. But I've definitely seen the back-to-back floods many times.
I will try to screenshot one, next time it happens. And I will also check what amount of turns it will show me :))
I am def. curious about that. On top of multiple catastrophes, I have no more draught visual FX, which is not really an issue, but makes it hard for you to avoid a drought area for settling, for example.

I've had this happen plenty of times. Especially the floods. It's not a recent change.
well, since I played it it happened, so it is not related to the latest patch.

I wonder what map size the people who aren't seeing the graphics are playing.

Huge standard map (continents& isles, pangea are the examples) here. No mods. Max graphic settings in case this might have some impact. I seem to be getting all the effects for natural disasters except for the water overflow when flooding (volcanoes not happened yet, however).

Just updated card drivers in order to check if they might be messing arround. As far as I tested, no luck: water spills in a great flood at Thames, but it then does not stay.

Water Spilling.png

Edit: had the opportunity to see an eruption today. Working fine. Also Blizzards and Droughts. No unprotected floods this time, however.

Last edited:
I wonder what map size the people who aren't seeing the graphics are playing.
Huge, but I have always played huge, so no difference there. It happened since April Patch for me. Same goes for the double striking droughts and stuff.
I do see the floods and I do see the volcanoes. I just don't see droughts on the map all the time anymore. From what I can tell so far: It either is okay for a whole game, or messed up for the whole game. There is no inbetween.
Haven't checked reloading a messed game yet.

Alright, after probably my 7th-or-so time reloading the game (as in, reopening Civ6 entirely, not just reloading a save), my river floods and volcanoes are showing graphics properly... floods spill over onto the land and active volcanoes are smoking. None of my mods updated since the last 2 times I reloaded the game so idk what gives. This was after playing like 70 turns and then quitting out, so maybe you have to play with the bugged graphics for a bit, then quit out, then relaunch the game, and it works? Or maybe it's just sheer luck whether or not the problem will resolve itself with each relaunch.

Alright, after probably my 7th-or-so time reloading the game (as in, reopening Civ6 entirely, not just reloading a save), my river floods and volcanoes are showing graphics properly... floods spill over onto the land and active volcanoes are smoking. None of my mods updated since the last 2 times I reloaded the game so idk what gives. This was after playing like 70 turns and then quitting out, so maybe you have to play with the bugged graphics for a bit, then quit out, then relaunch the game, and it works? Or maybe it's just sheer luck whether or not the problem will resolve itself with each relaunch.
Oh wait, i just reloaded the save (without relaunching the game) and they're back to not working. Eugh.
Well, at least this is one data point showing that the problem can be resolved, and then regress. Yaaaaaaay. I really hope Firaxis fixes whatever they changed.....

Here a drought without a drought... no visual FX. The dust storm is missing.
And I play on 4k with all Ultra, so it's not the details set to low, or stuff like that.
On the map they are also not visible, so you might end up settling into a running drought.

P.S.: Also ships don't have the sinking animation anymore. The ships from the formation simply pop.

Attachments

• 20210428163109_1.jpg
    20210428163109_1.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 98
Last edited:
And here two screenshots in comparison:
One without visual FX, one with FX (after game crashed and I reloaded). Same settings and exact same location in-game.

Attachments

• 20210428180647_1.jpg
    20210428180647_1.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 131
  • 20210428183125_1.jpg
    20210428183125_1.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 131
Here a drought without a drought... no visual FX. The dust storm is missing.

Are the popups for drought working? I've been noticing some pillaged improvements here and there in my empire, and I have no idea how they got that way. The popup announcement of a drought or dust storm is what clues me in to pay attention to those areas.

This might seem like a minor issues, but it's kind of gamebreaking. This is one of the major features of Gathering Storm. And if I can't keep track of which natural disasters are hitting my territory, it will be hard to notice pillaged improvements.

Are the popups for drought working? I've been noticing some pillaged improvements here and there in my empire, and I have no idea how they got that way. The popup announcement of a drought or dust storm is what clues me in to pay attention to those areas.

This might seem like a minor issues, but it's kind of gamebreaking. This is one of the major features of Gathering Storm. And if I can't keep track of which natural disasters are hitting my territory, it will be hard to notice pillaged improvements.

The pop-ups seem to be working for me, without exception.

Oh wait, i just reloaded the save (without relaunching the game) and they're back to not working. Eugh.
Well, at least this is one data point showing that the problem can be resolved, and then regress. Yaaaaaaay. I really hope Firaxis fixes whatever they changed.....

Two nice floods for me today (same save run)... so yep, seems a bit random.

Spoiler Floods, again :) :

Flood 1.png

Flood 2.png

Yeah, mine too. Hmm . . . wonder if there's too much going in those big maps to process the flood for some reason.
I play on small map size and still had the volcano issue (but not sure about floods or droughts), so I don’t think map size is the deciding factor. But maybe save/loading corrupts something?

I saw a missing volcano texture yesterday, but only after disabling mods. Then a little while later it fixed itself.

Also, on a more general side note:
If you use land based ranged units or city walls to take out single ships in a formation (like bringing a unit consisting of two models below 50% HP), they won't sink anymore... they simply pop.
That seems to be a consistent thing now, though.

bumping this thread to report what I've figured out now about how my game's handling volcano and flood graphics

The following seems to be very consistent: the first time I load a save file after launching the game, the graphics appear as expected, but any subsequent loads will result in the graphics being missing. The graphics return when I exit the game entirely and relaunch.
In other words, it seems that pressing "exit to main menu", or loading a previous save after already having a game loaded up, will both disable flood and volcano graphics for the rest of the time that I have the Civ 6 application running.

really sucks for people like me who like looking at the graphics and who also like reloading saves to undo mistakes :/

bumping this thread to report what I've figured out now about how my game's handling volcano and flood graphics

The following seems to be very consistent: the first time I load a save file after launching the game, the graphics appear as expected, but any subsequent loads will result in the graphics being missing. The graphics return when I exit the game entirely and relaunch.
In other words, it seems that pressing "exit to main menu", or loading a previous save after already having a game loaded up, will both disable flood and volcano graphics for the rest of the time that I have the Civ 6 application running.

really sucks for people like me who like looking at the graphics and who also like reloading saves to undo mistakes :/

I use the restart feature quite often, as well. Need to check, if that is affected, too. But will be hard to tell only 10 to 15 turns in

I'm having the same issue when reloading a save without leaving the game entirely. I miss seeing the volcano and flood animations, so cinematic :(

Top Bottom