1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

C2C Balance Thread

Discussion in 'Strategy and tips' started by ls612, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Nevre

Nevre Chieftain

I play most games on Prince, Marathon.

The last 4-5 starts I have never missed out on getting elephants in one way or another. If I then get into a war I have generally managed to build up a nasty stack of steamrolling elephants (str 7) and won the war. It seems a bit easy to me.

Anyone else feel the same?

2. strategyonly

strategyonly C2C Supreme Commander

Well in the Tectonics mapscript i was playing i am into Classical Era, and have NOT seen an Elephant or resource yet.:crazyeye:

3. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

Totally, which is why I always play at immortal or deity these days (deity can be quite challenging, but immortal is a good balance). If you want a real challenge try a deity (or immortal will do) start on GEM as England! It's a slow start (not that much to do really until you can build rafts), but leads to a very challenging game.

If you up your difficulty level somewhat you will start seeing the AI getting to things like horse riding and by the time you can build up a stack of elephants you're likely to see significant mounted resistance.

4. tebriz

tebriz Warlord

I think it has already been said - I am playing on Marathon speed, Noble difficulty and number of gold I gain each turn is ridiculously high! I am in industrial era now, and I get thousands of gold per turn with my science bar at 100%. I think this economic system is designed to be played on higher difficulty levels, but what should players who play on Noble, do? It has to be balanced for Noble difficulty too.

5. Yudishtira

Yudishtira Spiritual/Creative

I think (hope) the gold problem is being addressed. If you're playing v33 or later, you could upload a save in the bugs thread. If you're playing an earlier version, try v33, as I have heard that improvements have been made.

As for difficulty level, I always play with Increasing Difficulty. There is a section in the BUG options that lets you reset the difficulty level in an existing game. I'm not sure but that might work for you too. Once you're far enough ahead, up your difficulty to Deity. You'll be surprised how little difference it makes! :lol:

(FWIW I'm in lateish Renaissance in v29 on Deity and I still have too much gold coming in at 100% research/EP, but I do lose gold some turns too...)

You could also try doing Ctrl-Shift-T (the recalc intended for when you update your version or SVN). I find that it often turns my surplus to a deficit temporarily, even with no change in my mod version.

6. strategyonly

Yes it is high, how do you think real life cities are run. They always have a ton of excess even in the little city i am from, infact they had to buy some land to get rid of some of the extra money they had and it was 2 million dollars.
    When in the industrial era, if you do trading with the other culture, you will see what i mean by you need ALL the :gold: you can get your hands on, otherwise you will not be able to do good trading.
    I say you must have a MINIMUM of $1,000,000 just to get working/trading correctly when you get to the next era. (This is MPO).:mischief:

7. tebriz

tebriz Warlord

You are telling scary things... Why will the next era be so different from industrious era? :scan:
    In real life it is because of current monetary system which prints so many unbacked dollars. So there is always excess of money and inflation. Does all cultures in C2C have to act as USA, isn't there any alternative? :)
    I am curios if there are any money civic which prohibits interest rate (just as it was used in Middle Age's Europe, or some Muslim countries today, which prohibit interest rate). It would be an interesting alternative civic if done well.

8. Cosmic Fox

Cosmic Fox Civ 6 Addict - TB Mod Collaborator

There are events later expensive ones that could come at any time in certain eras that will drain your precious gold coffers real fast. Yes making gold is to easy, but tweaking it to be perfect will be a hard slog. ;) :p

9. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

Discussion moved from another thread.

There are also all the auto built buildings. Some which you have a little control over like the crimes and others like the Trading Post which you have no control over. The latter were part of a major attempt at balance done a while back.

I have thought now and again that there should be a bunch of options for level of detail in a game but it is a lot of work. For example for wild/subdued/tamed animals and the alt-timeline trained animal wonders we could have the following levels of detail
    • BtS animals only - only the animals available in BtS are available in C2C. Removes whole branches of the unit tree and many buildings.
    • basic animals - one type for each BtS animal plus one animal for each animal resource. Eg duck would be the only bird and represent the poultry resource.
    • varied animals - Eg pigeon, duck and eagle would be all the birds in the game. There would be one land crocodile and one sea crocodile.
    • Earth Location animals (we almost have this now) most animals but their spawn is based on the 1/6ths of Earth by latitude and longitude
    • Regional animals animals will be based on region and climate not latitude and longitude

10. Yudishtira

I think it was RideTheSpiral who made the comment about buildings in the other thread, and well he's right isn't he? All those individual bug catchers giving the exact same benefit could and should all be the same building. Same with bug sanctuaries lol (why not one carnival enclosure and/or one pre-entomology lab?), same with bird catchers, and same with obscure orchards and farms.

I hope it isn't controversial to say: more isn't more unless it's meaningful...;)

11. Azurian

Azurian The Azurian

Well that's the spirit of C2C.

Have you seen their Pedias..you need two specific resources in your city to build them. You will only be able to build 1-2 in a city.

Thats why you have about 30+ Myth of the _, 200+ Fruit and Vegetables Buildings, 30+ mines, and 20+ mushrooms, etc. It's Resource Combinations and Hydro has been doing that since the beginning.

That doesn't mean you can build them all in a game. Remember that the game has regions and different landscapes, you wouldn't find Peyote in the Jungle or a Hummingbird in the Desert.

There is Rise of Mankind: A New Dawn and Rocks to Rockets for those who don't want more.

12. Azurian

Azurian The Azurian

To be fair you can disable almost anything in the game with Mlfloadinfcontrols. You can even disable whole Modules or folders inside modules. There is nothing stopping you from playing the game how you want.

13. Maxima7

Maxima7 Warlord

Some of those I find okay, but I don't like all the bug sanctuaries, the desserts, and all the different breads, for sure. Speaking of this, I've got some new things for you to consider, MrAzure. XD

Spoiler :
    1. Dried Apples Core 1 small apple; slice into 1/8-inch-thick rounds. Arrange on an oiled baking sheet and bake at 200 degrees F until dry but still soft, 2 to 3 hours.

2. Apple Popcorn Balls Make Dried Apples (No. 1); chop enough to make 1/2 cup. Boil 1 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup each butter and light corn syrup, and 1/4 teaspoon salt until a candy thermometer reaches 300 degrees F, about 8 minutes. Mix with 6 cups popcorn, 1/2 cup chopped pecans and the chopped dried apples. Transfer to a buttered pan; cool slightly, then form into balls.

3. Apple Granita Simmer 4 cups apple juice with 1 cinnamon stick, 2 cloves and 1 strip orange zest, 10 minutes; strain and cool. Freeze in an 8-inch-square pan. To serve, scrape with a fork; top with minced green apple and candied ginger tossed with lemon juice.

4. Boozy Apple Granita Make Apple Granita (No. 3), adding 1/4 cup bourbon, Calvados or applejack brandy before freezing.

5. Apple-Salmon Crostini Mix 2 tablespoons each creme fraiche and finely diced green apple with 1 tablespoon chopped chives. Spread on toasted baguette slices. Top with smoked salmon and julienned apples.

6. Scary Apple Mouths Quarter and core a red apple; brush with lemon juice. Cut out a wedge from the skin side of each piece so it looks like a mouth. Fill with peanut butter, then insert sliced almonds for "teeth."

7. Applesauce Quarter 4 pounds apples. Simmer with 1 cup water, 3 tablespoons sugar and a pinch of salt, partially covered, until soft, 25 to 30 minutes. Pass through a food mill. Whisk in 2 tablespoons butter.

8. Herbed Applesauce Make Applesauce (No. 7), adding 1 sprig each rosemary, sage and thyme before cooking.

9. Spiced Applesauce Make Applesauce (No. 7), replacing the sugar with 1/4 cup brown sugar and adding 6 allspice berries, 1 cinnamon stick and 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice before cooking. Remove the cinnamon before milling.

10. Apple Butter Cook 1/2 cup sugar in a large skillet until deep amber. Add 4 cups Applesauce (No. 7) and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon; cook, stirring occasionally, until reduced by half, about 30 minutes.

11. Wine-Poached Apples Boil 1 bottle red wine, 3/4 cup sugar, 1 cinnamon stick, 1 star anise pod and 3 strips orange zest in a medium saucepan. Add 4 peeled crisp, tart apples and simmer until tender, 30 minutes. Remove the apples; strain the liquid and boil until syrupy. Serve the apples and syrup over yogurt.

12. Apple Fritters Whisk 1/2 cup each flour and seltzer with a pinch each of salt and apple pie spice. Slice 2 peeled and cored apples into 1/4-inch-thick rings. Dip in the batter and deep-fry in 375 degrees F oil until golden; drain on paper towels and dust with confectioners’ sugar.

13. Apple-Braised Cabbage Cook 4 cups shredded red cabbage and 1 chopped apple in a skillet with 3 tablespoons each butter, cider vinegar and water over medium heat, covered, until tender, 20 minutes.

14. Witch's Candy Apples Melt 1 1/4 cups cherry hard candies and 1 tablespoon light corn syrup in a small saucepan over medium heat (the mixture will be bubbly). Insert wooden sticks into 4 apples; dip in the candy coating. Set on oiled parchment paper to harden.

15. Caramel Apples Cook 1 1/2 cups sugar and 1/2 cup water in a saucepan over medium heat, swirling, until golden. Off the heat, stir in 1/4 cup cream and 1/4 teaspoon each vanilla and salt. Transfer to a 4-cup liquid measuring cup; cool slightly. Insert wooden sticks into 4 apples; dip in the caramel. Set on oiled parchment paper to harden.

16. Mulled Cider Bring 6 cups apple cider to a simmer with 1 cinnamon stick, 4 allspice berries, 1 star anise pod and 3 strips lemon zest. To serve, add diced apples.

17. Apple Cake Whisk 1 1/4 cups flour, 3/4 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon each salt, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg. Shred 1 apple and squeeze dry, then whisk with 2 eggs, 1/2 cup each vegetable oil and milk, and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Fold into the flour mixture. Bake in a buttered 9-inch-round pan at 350 degrees F, 20 minutes; cool. Beat 8 ounces cream cheese, 1/2 stick butter, 1 cup confectioners’ sugar, 1 teaspoon each lemon juice and vanilla, and a pinch of salt; spread on the cake.

18. Bacon-Apple Dates Stuff pitted dates with small apple pieces. Wrap each in 1/2 slice bacon and secure with a toothpick. Bake on a parchment-lined baking sheet at 425 degrees F until crisp, 20 minutes.

19. Apple-Onion Bruschetta Cook 2 sliced onions in oil over medium heat until caramelized, 35 minutes. Add 3 tablespoons Calvados and cook until evaporated. Spread on baguette slices, top with apple slices and sprinkle with grated gruyere. Broil until the cheese melts.

20. Apple-Pork Burgers Mix 1 pound ground pork, 1/2 pound uncased fresh breakfast sausage, 1 small grated apple, 1 grated garlic clove, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, and pepper to taste. Form into four 1/2-inch-thick patties and cook in an oiled skillet over medium-high heat, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Serve on buns with Swiss cheese, bacon, mustard and sliced apple.

21. Sausage-Apple Skewers Thread 1-inch chunks of apple, bratwurst and red onion on skewers; brush with oil. Grill over medium-high heat, turning, until lightly charred, 10 minutes.

22. Apple Chutney Combine 2 chopped apples, 1/2 chopped red onion, 1 teaspoon minced ginger and 1/4 cup each chopped dried apricots, dried cranberries, sugar and red wine vinegar. Cook until the apples are tender, 15 minutes.

23. Apple Sauerkraut Cook 1 diced apple and a large pinch each of caraway seeds, ground allspice and sugar in 2 tablespoons butter until slightly soft. Stir in 1 pound drained, rinsed sauerkraut and warm through.

24. Apple-Sausage Sandwich Grill or pan-fry your favorite chicken-apple sausage links. Serve in a hot dog bun with mustard and Apple Sauerkraut (No. 23).

25. Pork Chop Choucroute Brown 2 smoked pork chops in oil in a large skillet. Meanwhile, make Apple Sauerkraut (No. 23); add to the pork with 1/4 cup white wine and 2 cups each chicken broth and water. Simmer 30 minutes.

26. Big Apple Cocktail Steep 2 chopped tart apples in 2 cups whiskey overnight; strain. For each cocktail, shake 2 ounces of the apple whiskey, 1/2 ounce sweet vermouth and 2 teaspoons maraschino cherry juice in a shaker with ice. Strain into a cocktail glass and garnish with an apple wedge and maraschino cherry.

27. Potato-Apple Pancakes Peel and shred 1 apple and 1 small russet potato; squeeze dry. Mix with 2 tablespoons flour, 1 teaspoon kosher salt and a pinch of nutmeg. Fry heaping spoonfuls in butter in a skillet over medium heat, turning, 4 minutes per side.

28. Apple-Horseradish Sauce Whisk 3/4 cup applesauce, 1/4 cup each grated peeled apple and sour cream, 2 tablespoons horseradish, and salt to taste.

29. Apple-Brie Polenta Bring 3 cups water and 1 cup apple cider to a boil. Whisk in 1 cup instant polenta and 1/2 cup grated peeled apple and simmer, whisking, until thick, about 5 minutes. Stir in 1 tablespoon chopped sage, 1/2 cup brie (rind removed) and 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt.

30. Apple-Mustard Chicken Cook 1 each chopped onion and apple in butter in a skillet until soft. Add 1 cup chicken broth, 1/8 cup prunes and 2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard. Add 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts; cover and poach over low heat until cooked through, 15 minutes. Add 1/4 cup cream, and salt, pepper and chopped dill to taste; bring to a simmer to thicken.

31. Cider Doughnuts Simmer 1 cup apple cider until reduced to 1/4 cup; cool. Mix with 1/2 cup grated peeled apple, 2 tablespoons sugar, 1 egg, 1/4 teaspoon each nutmeg and vanilla, and 2 cups dry pancake mix. Roll into 1-inch balls and deep-fry in 375 degrees F oil. Drain on paper towels and roll in cinnamon sugar.

32. Chicken-Apple Crepes Prepare Apple-Mustard Chicken (No. 30); dice the chicken. Fill prepared crepes with the chicken and shredded gruyere. Roll up, top with the sauce and bake at 350 degrees F, 12 minutes.

33. Apple Stuffing Cook 1/2 cup each chopped onion, celery and apple and 3 tablespoons each chopped almonds and prunes in 1/2 stick butter until soft. Transfer to a large bowl and stir in 1 cup each chicken broth and cream, 12 cups stale bread cubes and 1 teaspoon kosher salt. Transfer to a baking dish, cover and bake at 375 degrees F, 45 minutes. Uncover and bake 15 more minutes.

34. Apple Skillet Pancake Whisk 3 eggs until frothy; whisk in 3/4 cup each milk and flour. Peel, core and slice 1 apple; cook in an ovenproof 10-inch skillet with 3 tablespoons butter and 1 tablespoon sugar until just soft. Add the batter and bake at 450 degrees F until puffy and golden, 15 minutes.

35. Apple Pancake Topping Cook 2 chopped peeled apples and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon in 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat, 5 minutes. Add 3/4 cup maple syrup and bring to a simmer.

36. Apple Turnovers Make Apple Pancake Topping (No. 35), using only 1/4 cup maple syrup; cook until the liquid is reduced by half. Stir in 1 tablespoon raisins; cool. Cut 1 sheet puff pastry into 4 squares; roll out each into a 6-inch square. Fill with the apple mixture and fold into triangles; crimp to seal. Bake at 425 degrees F until puffed and golden, 20 minutes.

37. Apple-Cheddar Fondue Simmer 1/8 cup each apple cider and white wine. Whisk in 3/4 pound shredded extra-sharp cheddar tossed with 2 teaspoons cornstarch. Add 2 tablespoons applejack brandy and season with salt and pepper. Serve with cubed bread and apple slices.

38. Waldorf Salad Toss 1/2 cup sliced grapes, 2 each chopped apples and celery stalks, 1/4 cup each mayonnaise, sour cream, walnuts and parsley, and lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste.

39. Cranberry Waldorf Make Waldorf Salad (No. 38), replacing the grapes, walnuts and parsley with dried cranberries, hazelnuts and dill.

40. Creamy Apple Slaw Mix 2 tablespoons mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard and 2 teaspoons apple cider. Toss with 1 cup each grated peeled celery root and apple, and salt, pepper and parsley to taste.

41. Sesame-Apple Slaw Whisk 2 tablespoons sesame oil, 1 tablespoon brown sugar, 2 teaspoons each rice vinegar and soy sauce, and 1 teaspoon grated ginger. Add 3 cups each shredded apples and napa cabbage, and salt.

42. Apple Galette Toss 3 sliced, peeled and cored baking apples with 2 tablespoons each brown sugar, apricot jam and melted butter. Lay an 11-inch round of pie dough on a baking sheet. Add the filling, leaving a 2-inch border; fold in the edges. Bake at 350 degrees F until golden, 45 minutes to 1 hour.

43. Apple-Fennel Slaw Mix 2 tablespoons each mayonnaise, lime juice and chopped cilantro, 1 teaspoon minced chipotle in adobo sauce and a pinch of salt. Thinly shave 1 small quartered fennel bulb, 1 small red apple and 1 small green apple. Toss with the dressing.

44. Apple-Ginger Galette Make Apple Galette (No. 42), adding 1 tablespoon finely chopped candied ginger to the filling.

45. Caramel Apple Galette Make Apple Galette (No. 42), replacing the apricot jam with jarred dulce de leche.

46. Apple-Cheddar Galette Make Apple Galette (No. 42), pressing 2 tablespoons shredded cheddar into the dough before adding the filling. Halfway through baking, sprinkle the crust with 2 more tablespoons cheddar.

47. Baked Apples Scoop out the core of 4 apples using a melon baller, leaving the bottoms intact. Mix 3 tablespoons each brown sugar and butter with 1/8 cup fresh breadcrumbs and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon; stuff into the apples. Put in a baking dish with 1/8 cup apple cider and bake at 375 degrees F, 45 minutes.

48. Nutty Baked Apples Make Baked Apples (No. 47), adding 3 tablespoons chopped toasted walnuts or pecans to the filling.

49. Savory Baked Apples Make Baked Apples (No. 47), reducing the brown sugar to 1 tablespoon, omitting the cinnamon and adding 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon each chopped thyme, parsley and shallot to the filling.

50. Apple-Sausage Patties Combine 2 tablespoons shredded peeled apple and 1/4 pound uncased fresh breakfast sausage; form into 4 small patties. Cook in an oiled skillet over medium-high heat, turning, until cooked through.

14. Hydromancerx

Hydromancerx C2C Modder

Hummingbirds live in the desert too. So long as there are flowering plants (which cactus are), there are hummingbirds.

Spoiler :

15. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

To start with because that was the mod we merged in. Except I cut the number of cages (now enclosures) by about half what was there to stat with. I wanted an upgrade to the myths and some way of identifying local verses exotic animals. I failed in the latter.

16. Yudishtira

Yeah no I was referring to just the bugs when I said that: I wouldn't begrudge them one "Insect/Invertebrate House" at the Carnival or Zoo, in addition to one (not hundreds of) research buildings and one catcher.

I have no problem with one Enclosure for each animal type. They are just the right number as far as I'm concerned. I was suggesting this so as to be consistent with those...

17. Azurian

Azurian The Azurian

Okay so I'll delete all the bug catchers, all the Sanctuaries, all the bird catchers then?Do u have a list, what's next? In the future please speak up, post in my To do list thread. If you do t like something thing tell me please. Even though bugs are highly important to many cultures I have no issues deleting
    Stuff for balance.

18. strategyonly

I was wondering about that for the last 3 years, i had almost every "enclosure" made for all the animals listed??

Dont get "excited" now, he is just writing down his opinion. Every one has them, isnt that what they say and also, well you know :p:)

19. Azurian

Azurian The Azurian

Well if they don't want certain things in their games they can edit the ModularLoading controls.

Put 0 for Birds folder and 0 for Insects folder.
    \Assets\Modules\MrAzure\MLF_CIV4ModularLoadingControls

Birds and Bugs are going to have a Building Upgrade Chain at Zoology where you need to own 3 of them nationally ) to create an Exhibition/Museum ((1 for Bugs, 1 for Birds) . Because you require two resources in a city vicinity (means they have to be there on the map level), its hard to even get 1 in a city, and very hard to get 2.

Everything I do is about Building Chains.

20. strategyonly

Thats what modular is all about, choices. But do be warned some of the C2C ones are MANDATORY to have ON.