1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

C2C - Civics Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Caveman 2 Cosmos' started by EldrinFal, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Using events to solve gameplay issues is not a good idea... I've had to turn off events in our multi-player game to minimize OOS errors from them. Once I figure out OOS debugging well enough perhaps I can look at those too but for now...

2. ChaoticWanderer

ChaoticWanderer Warlord

merchant or maritime republics. ie: venice, genoa, ragusa, pisa, the hansa, amalfi, tuscany. the first merchant republic was venice started in 697 ad. venice at its strength spread all the way to cyprus and crete and parts of greece including constantinople for awhile. ragusa was last true merchant republic it ended in 1807 with the birth of modern empires. merchant republics started as small city states worried about pirates that the large powers didnt seem to care about. needing the trade they built large fleets with their income actually turning from defensive to offensive.

so its linked to trade and war ships.

i say merchant republics get more everything from trade and maybe free naval units if thats possible?

3. Hydromancerx

Hydromancerx C2C Modder

Like TB said its not good to use events unless you absolutely need them. Plus a Language civic works for what we need it to do. As they say K.I.S.S. and having it as a civic is about as simple as you can get to the the job it was made to be. Sure an auto-building would be nicer or even a building, but diplomacy, choice, etc are lost. So I think its the best wit what we got.

4. Yudishtira

Yudishtira Spiritual/Creative

When were all civics before Rep Dem given a 12-city limit? Can someone please either fix that or explain it to me?

5. Faustmouse

Faustmouse Deity

Beside Hydro's adds, has anyone edited the civics recently? I applied the CaptureChance modifiers on it but i did this in my folder via WoC :confused:

6. Hydromancerx

Hydromancerx C2C Modder

People were complaining about too much :) so the city limits were brought back down to lower levels. Note they are still "soft" limits and you can found as many as you want but now the :mad: comes sooner and with more intensity. Thus nudging the player to value :) buildings more than they use to.

7. Yudishtira

Yudishtira Spiritual/Creative

Unfortunately my 71-city empire was built before you did it...;)

There is too much happiness I agree. But making it so that all civics before Rep Dem make it equally impossible to build a large empire - isn't the solution. Especially as they magically disappear at Rep Dem. Rome, Mongol China, Russia and the British Empire were large mostly stable empires without any real democracy. Monarchy and Republic should have limits closer to 30 imo, and maybe more. In my game I've (temporarily:mischief:) put Monarchy's limit up to 48(!), and I still have a few problems.

Cities are also growing too big. Why not have an extra unhappiness cost on city population above a certain level? Eg. 2 per pop above 13, 3 per pop above 30ish.

8. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

Is this 12 City Limit thru Civics up to Rep Dem an Option or now Default?

I really hope it's an Option.

JosEPh

9. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

Every time you ask for an option you increase the code base.:D

I had my whole nation go into revolt when this change was sprung on me. There did not seem to be any discussion.

There are three buildings that I think should be changed to have unhappiness per population I don't know if that is possible. The three are bazaar, marketplace and grocer. In each case when haggling over the price of things is done one or both groups involved come out of the deal unsatisfied. This unhappiness would drop by half when the idea of "fixed price" came to be common.

Similarly while scales and courts of law reduce crime and the unhappiness caused by crime they cause a small amount of unhappiness in themselves since they limit the freedom of people to cheat or take advantage of others.

edit by "fixed price" I mean the idea that the price tag on the goods is the price you will pay not some governmental fixing of prices but what the store holder decides based on competition.

10. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

I believe it still operates off of the No City Limits option.

11. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

Problem is I don't see "everybody saying there's too much happiness" as was stated earlier. I still scan the mods complete forum everyday. And while there are "squeaky wheels" in here it's by no means the majority. And many of those "squeakers" are new players that have no clue how C2C plays. They still think in vanilla BtS terms.

@T-Brd,
    If it's still under the current Option City Limits by Civics, then i don't have a problem with it. And DH there's not another Option to add to the code base. ;)

What about ls612's Option Scale City Limits by map size? Is that still a necessary Option? Maybe it could be "turned off".

Sometimes I wish we'd go back the Eldrin's Civic set and just do some simple modifications to it. Looking back it seemed to be the most stable set we've had since. Just mpo on that.

JosEPh

12. Faustmouse

Faustmouse Deity

+1 on too much happiness...

13. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

-1 :p

JosEPh

14. cdman1990

cdman1990 Chieftain

depends on the game itself, but i don't think there is too much happiness.

i had a game when i was most of the time in perpetual war, because there was one nation who really wanted to be at war with me, and was too far away for me to do anything to it, in that game i struggled to keep my cities happy, even building all the happiness buildings i had at the time didn't manage to make some of my bigger cities happy.

15. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

When making a statement like this consider that many ppl do not play with REV On. I don't use REV and without it there is a good balance between :) and :mad: . If you are not careful on when and what to build and what's currently available to build, then :) can be overwhelmed by :mad: relatively easily and very quickly. And can be very hard to recover from.

But general +1 on too much :) statements are just a matter of what Options you use and how you play. I'm sure all the modders use a variety of Options from a variety of games played under those changing Options to form an opinion before making a generalized statement to game balance. (not!!!):p

JosEPh ;)

16. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

Having Rev on decreases :) not increases it:p

17. Hydromancerx

Hydromancerx C2C Modder

Yeah if anything, Joe you should have way more happiness than those with Rev on.

18. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

So What!

Which means if you fiddle with :) do it in the REV context, as I've already stated the NON REV is balanced.

I really don't Care if REV gives more :mad: than Basic C2C. I'm telling you for those of us that do Not use REV the balance is Good, don't Muck it up again! Comprehend?

JosEPh

19. Hydromancerx

Hydromancerx C2C Modder

Well what have been told as well as in my own games I have had like +40 :) in all cities even with revolutions on. Note that's in early game. And it seems to just get worse as the game progresses. Note I play on the harder difficulties and purposefully avoid getting wonders (since they make the game easier). Yet I still have a TON of :).

20. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

1st, so you have 40 :) big deal. The real question is what was your :mad: in relation to it? Just posting "I have 40 :) in my cities" means Nothing unless the :mad: is shown too. And 40 does Not make a Ton either.

If you've built all the :) buildings and you have 40 :) and 30 :mad: but still have needed buildings and Civics coming that give more :mad: that 10 :) is Not a big cushion. It can disappear in heartbeat. Especially during a war. And throw in the fact that each new Pop point adds to it too.

FYI I play on Monarch and have for the last year since ls612 fiddled with the AI advantages for Difficulty levels.

JosEPh